What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pinocchio Blu Ray replacement disc for missing lines of dialogue? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Originally Posted by Paul Hillenbrand

Placed my order on Amazon.com today for: Pinocchio (Two-Disc 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition
+ Standard DVD+ BD Live) [Blu-ray] for $21.99.

Paul
FYI:

Just received the Pinocchio Blu-ray from Amazon.com today, supposedly documented as released on 3/10/2009, and in the "Chapter Selection" I chose the "Give A Little Whistle" chapter and the Audio is definitely restored with Jiminy Cricket saying "RIGHT" and "LOOK OUT PINOCCHE!".

I Checked the original Blu-ray I purchased on 3/10/2009, its release day, and found both of the Jiminy Crickets' Audio exclamations missing. Then I verified from the Pinocchio DVD released on 10/26/1999 the same correct audio exclamations which sounded in both areas as exactly the same tone and clarity as the Blu-ray disc I received today.

Paul

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I got my new copy from Amazon yesterday, and it is, indeed, corrected. I think the Mouse should offer a free blu-ray for all of us that had the previous defective version and had to purchase another copy to prove that there was a defect.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well I purchased mine last September and its got the missing lines on there so... something is definetely amiss with Disney's customer support.

EDIT: Although they're still missing from... the DVD.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
So I just fired off a note to Disney CS. Text follows:

"I recently discovered that my Blu-Ray copy of Pinnochio, originally purchased in April of 2009, is missing two lines of dialog during the "Give A Little Whistle" song. I checked and verified that Jiminy Cricket's lines, "Right!" and "Look out, Pinoke!" are missing from my copy and that they were on the previous DVD release from 1999. Several members of Home Theater Forum have reported recently purchasing this Blu-Ray from both brick and mortar and online retailers and that the missing audio has been restored. I called Disney Home Videocustomer service, hoping to secure a replacement, and was told that Disney was aware of the problem but that there was no replacement program in place because there were no fixed Blu-Rays. I was disappointed but resigned to have an inferior product in my collection since, according to the CS rep I spoke with, Disney had not addressed the issue. Also, since this title is scheduled to return to the vault, I figured Disney would not go to the extra trouble and expense of correcting the issue this close to the moratorium. However, more and more reports of corrected discs appeared on both the Home Theater Forum, so I took a chance and ordered a new copy of Pinnochio on Blu-Ray from Amazon.com. It arrived yesterday, and I have played it and confirmed that the missing audio has been restored. I'm writing to you today to request a gift certificate good towards the purchase of another Disney Blu-Ray, since I purchased a defective product almost two years ago and had to purchase a second product that was corrected, despite Disney's claims to the contrary. It's much too late to return the original disc to the store for a refund, so I urge you to act in good faith by starting a program to offer gift certificates for a new Blu-Ray disc from the Disney Library to purchasers of the original first run of Pinnochio. I would be happy to return the defective disc to you if you would provide me with a return mailer. In the mean time, I urge you to investigate this issue. At least the first pressing of this product is defective, and a simple comparison with more recent product will verify this. Thank you for your time." Don't know what good it will do, but it can't hurt to try.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks, Doug, et al.

Hopefully, Disney will indeed offer a disc replacement program for this.

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how they couldn't.

If there's one thing Disney is known for (and there, actually, is many)...it is exceptional customer service.

kevin_y

Stunt Coordinator
Can somebody just grab a camcorder, cellphone, iphone or whatever and use it to shoot your TV screen showing the corrected blu-ray and send the clip to the Disney people, who are clearly trying to deny the disc was ever corrected? When you shoot the video, make sure you show your hand pulling out the blu-ray, putting it on the machine, etc. -- show the whole process so there is no possible way they could deny this. The sooner we do this, the sooner they will realize there is no way they can weasel out of this and the sooner we will possibly get our replacements.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I ordered a replacement from Amazon last week and checked it tonight. As others have documented, the blu-ray has the missing lines, although "Look out Pinoch" is almost drowned out by the clattering pots.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So, can I now call Disney's customer service (with whom I've had good experiences in the past) and get a replacement or will I have to pay for a new copy before it goes OOP?

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
Got this in my email yesterday.

Thank you for the e-mail regarding your Pinocchio Blu-ray disc. We are concerned about your inquiry and would like an opportunity to address this issue with greater detail. We are still researching this issue to find a resolution to offer our Guests that have contacted us regarding the title.

Since you have a working copy in your possesion, we can offer an exchange of your Pinocchio Blu-ray set for a different Disney Blu-ray set of a similar price value. Please forward us your full mailing address and phone number. Upon receiving your information, we will send you a prepaid mail label so you can send the set into us.

Please indicate the desired Disney Blu-ray title and, once we receive your set, will send you the replacement by mail provided that the disc has not been physically damaged.

If you have any other questions, please contact us at 1-800-723-4763, Mondays 9:30-7:30 and Tuesday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

Thank you,

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Technical Support

Thank you Disney. Now what shall I choose... what shall I choose...?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Why not Pinocchio again...and again...and again until you get the right one? Not costing you anything, give it a shot!

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
I already purchased a corrected copy from Amazon. I emailed Disney to find out what they would do for me since I now had both a defective copy and a corrected copy. The emial I posted was their response.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So the question is...can you get a corrected copy of Pinocchio by sending in the defective copy.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
So, I guess you have to buy a new copy of Pinocchio, hoping it's the new one, which will be crap shoot, because we only know the new ring number, not the outside package difference. Then contact Disney, send your old one back and pick something else that Disney offers at about the same price...correct?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by John Sparks

So, I guess you have to buy a new copy of Pinocchio, hoping it's the new one, which will be crap shoot, because we only know the new ring number, not the outside package difference.

I think it sounds like everyone who's gotten one from Amazon directly (not a Marketplace seller) within the past month has gotten the corrected version

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks