What's new

Blu-ray Review Picnic Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
Got my PICNIC blu ray today. I have a 60 inch plasma which is fairly new. Beautiful rich colors. Even the trailer looks good. Very pleased with this purchase. Always loved this film and the blu ray looks terrific.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I'm quite pleased with the PQ and AQ too.
Did anyone else notice that Novak's character in Vertigo, as with this film, is from Salina, Kansas? Was the screenwriter (Samuel Taylor) for Vertigo possibly doing a tip of his hat to this film?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
benbess said:
Yes, I'm quite pleased with the PQ and AQ too.
Did anyone else notice that Novak's character in Vertigo, as with this film, is from Salina, Kansas? Was the screenwriter (Samuel Taylor) for Vertigo possibly doing a tip of his hat to this film?
Yes, absolutely. Vertigo is my favorite film and Picnic is one of my favorites.
People have speculated on this very point but I don't think there is any evidence about Taylor's intentions here.
Actually, the town has a slightly different name on a newspaper, but the railroad setting is clearly Salina.
BTW, there is also another actor (besides Kim Novak) who appears in both Picnic and Vertigo. Raymond Bailey, who plays Mr. Benson (Alan's father) also plays Scottie's doctor in Vertigo.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
rsmithjr said:
Yes, absolutely. Vertigo is my favorite film and Picnic is one of my favorites.
People have speculated on this very point but I don't think there is any evidence about Taylor's intentions here.
Actually, the town has a slightly different name on a newspaper, but the railroad setting is clearly Salina.
BTW, there is also another actor (besides Kim Novak) who appears in both Picnic and Vertigo. Raymond Bailey, who plays Mr. Benson (Alan's father) also plays Scottie's doctor in Vertigo.
Thanks! I think there is a connection there....I know this is going too far, but for a second to me it almost seemed like Vertigo was telling the story what might have happened to this person who escaped Salina, and then three years later...Just a thought.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
benbess said:
Thanks! I think there is a connection there....I know this is going too far, but for a second to me it almost seemed like Vertigo was telling the story what might have happened to this person who escaped Salina, and then three years later...Just a thought.
If only she had said, "My name is Madge Owens. I'm from Salina, Kansas. Here is my driver's license!"
That's very Twilight Zone. Actually, although several scenes were shot in Salina (they also used Halstead and Nickerson as primary locations), William Inge himself was from Independence, Kansas, and the Neewollah Festival takes place there. Yes, it's a real annual event.
I'm guessing (a total guess) that this minor script change in Vertigo happened on-set and at the last minute. Her character is from a small town in the Midwest, and Kim herself or someone there probably suggested Salina as an insider's nod to Picnic. It doesn't sound like it could have been preplanned months in advance as part of the screenplay adaptation.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I saved the movie to watch for Labor Day. I have the VHS copy in LB and of course the DVD that came out.
Thank you Twilight for this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!
The movie looks great buy buy buy anyone who is on the fenice trying to decide. I lwill not go into why I love this movie but those who do buy buy buy.
How can we get Suddenly Last Summer in Blu???? The two later wonderful movies I play ever Labor Day
Mark

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I just saw Picnic (Blu-ray) on Labor Day evening. Saw it just a few hours after seeing Vertigo at the Castro in SFO with a 70mm print.
Kim Novak is one of the few survivors of both of these films. She should be very proud indeed of her work.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I just contacted Twilight Time to ask that very question! Since the SRP of their Blu-rays is so unusually high ($34.95, plus s&h), I asked them if they ever ran sales. They replied, "Unfortunately, not at this time". So, like you, I'm debating whether to fork-up the considerable cash for these attractive titles. From what I've read about "Picnic", "Bye, Bye Birdie" , and "Bell, Book and Candle" on this site and others, the discs seem to be of exceptional quality and well worth the price.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
PaulMSchneider said:
Thanks, Joe Caps, for that explanation.
I'm curious about something that may have been discussed in other threads already. My apologies if it has. The Screen Archives price of $34.95 (before tax) plus $4.35 shipping is steep. Do they ever have sales? Is that a realistic expectation with a title like this? How has it been with previous "limited editions" via Twilight Time?
I just contacted Twilight Time to ask that very question! Since the SRP of their Blu-rays is so unusually high ($34.95, plus s&h), I asked them if they ever ran sales. They replied, "Unfortunately, not at this time". So, like you, I'm debating whether to fork-up the considerable cash for these attractive titles. From what I've read about "Picnic", "Bye, Bye Birdie" , and "Bell, Book and Candle" on this site and others, the discs seem to be of exceptional quality and well worth the price.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/317912/picnic-blu-ray-review/60#post_3984634
Why do people keep saying 34.95? I think most of their discs, especially recently, come in at 29.98.
Hey,BK--a few of the early Sony titles are priced at $34.95 -- Picnic, Pal Joey, Bite the Bullet, Bell, Book & Candle -- all other Blu-rays (including Fox titles) in the catalogue are $29.95, with the exception of the first, The Egyptian, which is $39.95 (and getting close to sold out.) When we first made our deal with Sony we agreed to experiment with 2 price-points -- $34.95 and $29.95 and would eventually settle on one. $29.95 has become the default studio-approved sweet spot, and most, going forward will be at that level. Rare exceptions include Major Dundee which will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other.

Nick.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Twilight Time said:
Rare exceptions include Major Dundee which will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other.
Nick.
Wow, I like the sound of that!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Twilight Time said:
Major Dundee . . . . will likely be $34.95 as it is a 2-Blu-ray set, with the restored version on one disc, and the original theatrical cut (never available on DVD) on the other.
Nick.
If Major Dundee is up to your usual standards, I'll buy it as soon as it's available . . . . even at $34.95!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just watched Bell Book And Candle last night and it was great. Fans who love this movie should buy it!!!!!!! Picnic the same which I watched on Labor Day fantastic and thank you TT!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to ordering my copy of Rains which I believe you said was Novemeber 13 or was that the shipping date?
Love you guys and keep up the good work.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
I'm thrilled to report that I threw caution to the wind and shelled out the hefty price tag with shipping for "Picnic," and I got my money's worth. The Blu-ray Disc transfer is outstanding in every way. Lightyears ahead of of the old DVD and any TV airings of the film I've seen. Scratches are at a bare minimum, detail is outstanding, contrast is excellent, and the color is terrific. At last, I can see exactly why this won an Oscar for Best Art Direction. The sound is robust, too, particularly when featuring the wonderful George Duning score.
If you are on the fence about buying it, rest assured, the quality is first-rate.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I shall begin my annual Labor Day movies this weekend. I will start with the Maggie Smith version of Suddenly Last Summer which aired on PBS back in the 90s and came out on DVD under Maggie Smith at the BBC and then the Liz and Monty version which is my favorite ending on Labor Day with at least two viewings of Picnic.

Love that blu-ray restoration Nick and team did.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For those interested, Sony is releasing "Picnic" again on Blu-ray. Its scheduled for release on October, 13th.

Same transfer as previously, or anything new? Always a fan of this film of the play for some reason. Maybe it's that weird tantalizing dance Kim Novak does on the pier with her hands held up. But I've been spellbound since a young buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks