Blu-ray Review Picnic Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard Gallagher, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TheVid

TheVid Stunt Coordinator

Gary Vidmar
    This is a great blu-ray, and fans won't be disappointed. Too bad this doesn't have the overture that's on the laserdisc, because I like the way that great theme transitions into the sound of the train for the Columbia logo. Oh well. It's also true that the opening of the Decca soundtrack has that arrangement of the main theme (in mono) to start it off. It's one of the great soundtrack albums. I also have a Vocalian version from the UK, and surprisingly, the overture theme is in sweet stereo, so it's the cd version I prefer.
    I wonder how many other collector prints there are of movies that surpass what the studios can legitimately provide? I probably will regret hearing the answer! Could there actually be a THE BIG COUNTRY in stereophonic sound? Hahahahaha.

2. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Thus far, they have not had sales. These early offerings from Twilight Time have been limited runs of about 3,000. Apparently such small runs do not give them a lot of margin to play with in terms of pricing. I have not yet bought any of their titles. At those prices, the title has to be a "must-have", and not a "nice to have", for me to buy. However, they have some coming up that will probably be must-haves for me in the future.
    If you see a title you like, you'd best pounce on it before they sell out. Fright Night and Mysterious Island sold out pretty fast.
    BTW, welcome aboard!

3. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Joe Caps has posted that he has actually seen two stereomagnetic prints of The Big Country in the hands of collectors.

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I verifed the same via Twilight Time.

5. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Ditto.

Elsewhere, a discussion at Film Score Monthly states that the overture was recorded separately and was conducted by composer Duning. The actual film score was conducted by Morris Stoloff. It appears that the overture was created for the soundtrack album. It is unclear if it ever was used in a movie theater, but it is apparent that it was not part of the original theatrical release.

6. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    With all due respect, I take things with much salt here. I have seen endless 35mm prints of Picnic, from the time of its release in its exclusive engagement to owning my own, and never ONCE has there been anything preceding the Columbia logo. This was not a roadshow film, it was a normal release. So, pardon if I remain ever the skeptic and that would certainly include some mysterious collectors who have stereo prints of The Big Country. :)
    And I also find it hard to believe that fifteen collectors handed over their prints at a time when doing so would have caused them nothing but grief. No, none of this rings true, I'm afraid.

7. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Oh, why post facts? :)

8. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I don't believe Mysterious Island has sold out, fast or otherwise, unless it's happened in the last week, and that would not exactly be fast. The only TT title to sell out was Fright Night and that one took four weeks.

9. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Talking about Overtures....Twilight Time DVD has just released ROOTS OF HEAVEN. Roots of Heaven had an Overture recorded and supposedly used for 'Premiere Showings.' It was a Roadshow release in NYC. Is the Overture on the Fox supplied Blu-ray of Roots of Heaven?

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Some good information being shared here to avoid a possible controversy over a fine BRD release. I viewed this BRD today and was very happy with it.

Crawdaddy

11. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

The Roots of Heaven Overture was on the Fox Soundtrack LP.
    There are all kids of things only private collectors seems to have - Big Country instereo, Giant in Stereo and with Intermission and Intermission Music.
    Damn Yankees in stereo, Auntie Mame in stereo.
    A collectors prints ahs given us a nearly uncut South Pacific, which still has one scene missing.
    Collectors prints has come up with an uncut Raintree County.

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks Rich!

13. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Of course it isn't. Please provide sources that it was "supposedly" (a word I love) used for whatever premiere showing are. Also, please provide the source showing it was a roadshow release in NYC. If you are saying it played at Radio City, that doesn't make it a roadshow release at least as I define that term. If it didn't play Radio City, I'd love to see where it did play and see the word roadshow or reserved seats. Thanks.
    I also guess we should state again that just because an "overture" was created or used on a soundtrack album does not necessarily equate that it was also used for or with the film.

14. Paul Rossen

Learned of the Roadshow release on the Roots of Heaven thread in this Forum. Besides the old Fox LP the newer Morgan and Stromberg recording included the Overture. I had previously read 'somewhere' that Malcom Arnold had composed the Overture per the instructions of Zanuck to be used for the premiere showings.
    http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogsot.com

15. Paul Rossen

Radio City to my recollection was not used as a Roadshow house. During the 50's and early 60's I saw many films together with their accompanying stage showings at Radio City. The RKO Palace where Roots of Heaven played was not a 'regular' Roadshow house but it did have Roadshow releases of Bridge on the River Kwai, Diary of Anne Frank, Judgment at Nuremberg as well as the 1969 rerelease of Ben-Hur.

16. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    Cannot answer the Overture question but this ad should confirm a Roadshow Engagement of ROOTS OF HEAVEN at the RKO Palace in Times Square NYC.

[​IMG]

With apologies to John McElwee. http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Back to PICNIC, I could easily believe that Columbia added an Overture for some LA and NY engagements to push the score for award nominations. Warners added the song from THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY to it's LA showings in order for it to be nominated. The song did not play any place else attached to the actual film and I think only for the two weeks needed in LA to qualify.

I just finished downloading from Itunes the the Love Theme from the PICNIC soundtrack, which Joe C indicates was the Overture and I also grabbed a hold of THE ROOTS OF HEAVEN Overture. Burned them to a CD and stuck them in the Blu-ray package.

17. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Appreciate the info and also the ad from a hollis. Very unusual, especially given that the film was not well thought of and didn't do much business. I wonder if NY was its only roadshow engagement? I sure don't remember it playing to reserved seats in LA but I could be wrong. Picnic, at least as far as I know, never had that kind of engagement anywhere and certainly not in LA.

18. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

There is the impression that ANY film that has an Overture attached, need to be roadshow. Not so.
    Warners lasrdisn andnow dvd of High Society has an Overture - and that was certainly not roadshow..

19. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I always enjoy reading information about roadshows. I don't know if THE NUN'S STORY played as a roadshow in NY or LA but it did in London. At the time I thought it was a bit of a rip-off, being in 35mm and not even in Cinemascope (in those days Cinemascope was used as a generic term for widescreen). It had an intermission but I don't recall any sort of overture.

20. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Doug, Nuns Story did not have an intermission here in the states.