What's new

Phono (1 Viewer)

Alex Kuch

Grip
What does the phono on the back of a receiver do? I heard it's for record players. Also if I were to use a separate amplifier and just use my receiver for its soundfields and audio options, which auxillary inputs and outputs do i use to run through the receiver to the amplifier?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The phono input on the back of your receiver includes a built-in preamp for turntables, which is necessary because turntables put out much lower signal voltages than other components such as CD players. Unless your receiver can be configured to shut off the phono preamp, plugging other devices into this input will most likely result in overdriving the preamp section, with distorted results.

To add a separate amp to your setup, all you'll need to look for is a set of 6 jacks marked "pre out" on the back of your receiver. You'll simply run RCA cables from these to the RCA inputs on the separate amp and run your speaker cables from that amp.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Yup, at first I thought it was a joke question.... but of course, I'm probably old too.

Just to add a constructive note, there are outboard/external phono preamps for those who want to get into phono/vinyl but don't have an AVR w/phono inputs. And some new turntables (the things that play the vinyl records) have phono preamps, too).

D (the elder)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'd not heard mention of a "Laser Turntable" for several years and the last time I had it was in the $50,000 range.
Last week I came across the ELP Laser Turntable.
It's now only $2,800!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Kevin!

Turns out I'll need to send in an extra $2,000.00 to play my Sun Record Company 78s.

LT-1XRC Plays LP, 45 rpm and 78 rpm $17,000

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The phono explanation is incomplete. A phono input, in addition to amplifying the very low signal level, also includes equalization. The frequency response of an LP is intentionally cut unflat on both the low and high ends. The low end is cut to reduce the area taken by bass frequencies, which can be quite a bit. The high end is boosted. On playback, the bass is boosted and the highs cut; the later has the effect of reducing noise.

Waaaay back in the 50's, there was no industry-wide phono equalization standard with the result that there were a number of equalization curves in use, and phono preamps included switching for them. A real pain, but standardization came in the 60's so this is no longer a problem, unless you play very old discs.

So, you can see I'm really old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks