What's new

Parking in handicapped spaces... (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
As a physically handicapped guy, I certainly see the value of handicapped parking spaces, and it really bothers me when those who aren't handicapped park in them. Sometimes I say something, and sometimes I don't. However, I would agree that many places such as Wal-Mart, Target, etc., seem to have too many handicapped parking spaces (at least sometimes). It might be smart to have some of those spaces "convertible" into handicapped or non-handicapped spaces, depending on how busy the store could reasonably be expected to be. I would say that at 2PM on a Saturday afternoon, they should have as many of the handicapped spaces available as possible, but if it's, say, 4AM on a Tuesday, they could make some of them non-handicapped spaces.

By the same token, however, there are some smaller stores and smaller downtown areas of both small and large cities that don't have enough handicapped spaces. I go to get my hair cut in a downtown, "town square-like" area of a pretty large city in Texas, but they don't have any handicapped spaces at all in the downtown area. There have been times on a Saturday afternoon that I've driven around for 20 minutes just to find a parking space that's close enough for me to be able to get to my appointment. That's a case where they should definitely designate at least one or two parking spaces as handicapped spaces.

On a tangential topic, theft of handicapped placards is more rampant than many people realize. It's gotten to the point that Texas has decided to put expiration dates on their placards, which is no big deal. However, Texas has also decided, in many cases, to put the driver's license numbers of handicapped people on the placards, which I find very intrusive. The "powers that be" say that they can't cross-reference the actual identification number of the placard to the rightful owner, but to me, it doesn't seem like it would be terribly difficult to do so.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Why is it 'trivial'? The sort of asshole who regularly parks in a handicapped space is probably guilty of a whole host of similar offences. In doing this, you're most probably extracting justifiable retribution on behalf of a large number of victims.

I personally don't see why we should feel bad about complaining about minor misdemeanours when they are wilful like this. It takes a conscious decision to park in a disabled parking spot. Okay, maybe you're only wanting one thing from the local store and otherwise you'd have to walk a bit further. So what? Just be grateful you can walk.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Clint B, your comments show a lot of awareness of some of the issues that lead to anger at the "disabled parking" phenomenon.

The only way it could ever be administered fairly would require such intrusive regulation of lives that (I hope) we would reject it, and rely on the honour system, prone to failure as it is.

There is an enormous range of difficulties in our built infrastructure. Parking for shopping is just the tip of an iceberg. And we keep developing disabilities.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Great thoughts, Andrew. Even if there appear to be too many handicapped spaces at a particular store, that's no excuse to park there if you are not handicapped. What's the big deal in walking a little further for a healthy human being? It's nothing more than being inconsiderate, lazy and impatient.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I have a younger brother with OI (Osteogensis Imperfecta) I think I've mentioned it on the board here. part of the perk of a handicapped space is not just that it's closer, it's that it is easier to unload a wheelchair.. try unloading a wheelchair or using a wheelchair ramp being boxed in by another car.. you can't. So, the difference isn't just you're closer, for a lot of people it's "I can get out of my car" vs. "I can't get out"

I would definitely advise your parking complex (your apartment super) who post it and can maintain it. Then I would talk to the police. Odds are, they will just get a ticket. But it sends the right message. Your landlords actually should have more enforcement power, and I'd tell them to use it.

Even if no one lives in your complex who is disabled, should someone decide to visit who is, it's a shame that some jerk steals the spot.

(BTW, in regards to "Too Many Spaces" lots are required to have a % of handicapped spaces to normal spaces for larger lots, and so it may -seem- that way; however, if someone has a side door lift for a wheelchair, you'll find one vehicle actually can need an empty space next to it :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Even though I think that's a good idea, I don't think it's a good solution...I mean if non-handicap people are already parking in spaces that they don't belong in, who's to say they are going to follow a more lenient rule?

I can just see it now (in referring to a sign that says the handicap space isn't a handicap space between 12am and 6am): "Well, I thought the sign meant 12pm to 6pm". Or some other excuse that would make it seem like an honest mistake to park there during the 'handicap' hours.

Although, do 24 hour stores REALLY need to convert their handicap spots into non-handicap spots at 3am? It's not like the parking lots are full at that time.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ok, for one thing its just an apartment. Is there anyone there that is handicapped? If not then why do you care? I mean really, do you go around calling the cops on people who are parked in 2 spaces or along a firelane at your apartment? If not then you should start calling and complaining about those people also.

Ughhh...I've seen those...forget that. Those are courtesy spots, I don't obey those. I want to get in and out of a store just as fast as the next person but because I can't get pregnant or don't have kids that means I'm limited in where I can park? No thanks. I won't park in a handicapped space at a business because its illegal. I would pull into one at apartments to get my mail or make a quick stop but thats about it.

But it all boils down to "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS". I am a big, if you aren't bothering me, I won't bother you type of person. I don't know why people feel they have the need to complain about this or complain about that when someone does something they don't like if it doesn't effect you. Stop sticking your nose into other peoples business already.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Earlier there was a comment about walking an extra 50 feet in the parking lot when they will be walking a few hundred feet in the store. You can easily take that argument to a non-handicapped person. What's the big deal if you have to walk so many extra feet because you can't park up front? And if the spaces were eliminated, you probably wouldn't get that spot anyway! Unless you sat there, with you blinker on, waiting for someone to unload their cart, put in their kids, talk on their cell, etc. Meanwhile, you could already be in the store by parking in the empty spot 20 spaces down. :D

Seriously, I have nothing against Handicapped Parking Spaces. I DO have something against somenone who isn't impaired parking in one. F-ing walk. If time is that important to you, you might need to re-evaluate your lifestyle.

Changing the subject a little, a few years ago, one of my buddies was sitting in his car on his cell, parked in a normal space. There was a shopping car in front of his car. Some guy pulled in the space in front and pushed the cart into my buddies car. Instead of apologizing he got out of his car, looked at my buddy and laughed and then went into the store. Unfortunately for the guy, my buddy is kind of nuts. He got out of his car, picked up the cart, and threw it into the guy's windshield. Needless to say, I am glad I am on this guy's good side!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Strong words there Mike. :eek:

For one thing you say it doesn't affect James, but I beg to differ. Handicap spots (obviosuly) are always closest to the entrance of a building, store, apartment, etc. ...Sure, we'd all LOVE to be able to park as close as we can to a building, store, or apartment but we don't always get that luxury.

The fact that EVERYONE in the apartment complex was courteous enough to not park in that spot means that they are leaving it open (which allows this non-handicapped person to park there). So in essence, it's their COURTESY that is allowing this man a "Prime" parking spot. And that is NOT right.

I personally see that as affecting EVERYONE in the apartment complex. It is a slap in the face to those who had the common decency to leave that spot open and is rightfully deserved of a fine. Why should my courtesy allow others to gain an advantage like that?

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've heard about some places where the handicapped can get not only a license plate or rear view mirror hangtag to park in handicapped spaces, with a little bit of training by local police they can qualify to write parking tickets for the non-handicapped who park in their spaces, and the tickets are enforceable.

E

Eric Kahn

In Ohio, they issue window placards that hang from the rear veiw mirror, they are numbered and expire just like a license plate

you can also get a handicapped plate for your car, but if your family has more than one car, I do not think you can get more than one set of plates

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Unless the vehicle is specifically altered to support a disabled person.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

Its only a slap in the face to those that let it bother them...aka...don't mind their own business. Even if EVERYONE tried to park there, so what. Unless you are handicapped it doesn't impact you.

I guess it boils down to why do some people feel it is their duty to police other people? Its not like the handicap parking stealer is mugging someone or breaking into an apartment. That would effect the safety of everyone, but its just a parking space. If someone has that much time on their hands to ponder the rights or wrongs of someone parking in such a space then I would say they've got way too much free time. Do some of you living in apartments also walk around to make sure people who've not paid for covered parking are not in a covered parking spot? Or how about those of you that work and have parking garage assigned spaces. Do you walk around to make sure everyone is in their assigned space?

Looking out for your neighbors when living in an apartment is one thing but snitching because someone parked where they shouldn't have, PC gone amuck.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

You witness someone walk over to someone else's car and key it. Do you call the cops? Or is that snitching?

I am personally well-bodied. I have a family member who isn't. If they can't use the handicap spot, they cannot unload a wheelchair (ramp comes out the side of the vehicle) so he can't come. Even if it is only used once a month, isn't there the potential for harm?

If someone is routinely abusing the system by parking where they should not be, doesn't it impact everyone who has the potential of even having a guest who is disabled?

When someone breaks the law, no matter how "minor" we think it is, it's not snitching to do your civic duty and report it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Why does something have to be considered a major crime in order to report it to the cops?

Mike, I think you're confussing someone going ballistic and calling the cops if someone does it once with the fact that this guy has been parlking in the handicapped spot for over 6 months straight. If this was a one time thing, sure I won't go calling the cops...I'd probably either say something to him or just ignore it, but it's clear that this guy has crossed the line from a minor (one time) incident to a major one.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Sorry, Mike. I'm afraid you're alone on this one. Fact is, I do bitch at double parkers, door dingers, curb climbers, so on and so forth.

It is petty; stealing a handy-spot to grab mail or other quick stops. But if you do it, everyone can do it. 40 people an hour making quick stops pretty much renders that spot useless for handicapped people.

your attitude irks me two ways:

1. it's just a quick stop, no harm done. That's like saying I stole a Bazooka Joe from 7-11. And if you park for for 3mins, who is to say I can't park for 5min.
2. you're willing to push aside others to get what you want.

Never instigate. Always retaliate.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

And who said that male chauvenism was dead? No doubt if you were a mom, Mike, you'd give birth in five minutes with none of the fuss that women seem to make, and of course you could easily control a couple of kids and do all the housework with no problems at all. Indeed, I bet you could do all that and hold down a full time job as well - the kids would just sit quietly in a corner all day. Get real - parenting is demanding work.

Mother and baby spots are there for a very good reason. Small kids need push chairs and extra space to get in and out. They're not some frivolous gimmick.

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
In every civilized society, there is an underlying framework of rules that holds that society together.

For an organized society to "work" there has to be at least some rudimentary respect for the rules or it all falls to pieces. The framework of society is BUILT on people respecting the rights of others and the rules that protect those rights. Otherwise, the society crumbles into a survival-of-the-fittest-anarchy.

Part of being a member of society -- part of being a HUMAN BEING -- is to respect the rights of your fellow citizens. People who blatantly and wilfully infringe on the rights of others hurt everyone.

Stopping offensive behavior and/or punishing offenders is a societal mechanism of self-preservation.

I think JamesCB is simply trying to do his duty as a decent human being to protect the right of handicapped citizens to get a better parking spot. Good on him.

David

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Call the cops, if the problem continues then "accidentally" key their car next time you walk by it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Then that would make you no better. If the problem continues, keep calling the cops. Eventually this guy will get the hint if the cops give him a ticket everyday. Who knows, maybe they'll have his car towed. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks