What's new

Paradigm Studio 100's......how good are they? (1 Viewer)

Ted_Wern

Agent
I auditioned the Paradigm Studio 100's today and I was really impressed with them. With a Price tag of $2400.00, It was a little out of my league. Then the owner tells me that he had a customer who bought the black veneer ones and that when he brought them home his wife hated the black so much, she made him return them. He had already thrown out the boxes, but they gave him a store credit. He showed them to me and told me I could take them for $1300.00. I really like their sound but would like to hear from all of you that own these. Thanks......

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
They're not bad, but keep amplification in mind. They need at LEAST a good 250wpc amp to sound right...

keir

Stunt Coordinator
They need at LEAST a good 250wpc amp to sound right...
I always hear this said, but I never have understood it. Paradigm's website says suitable amplifier power is 15-350 watts. So a modestly powered receiver of say 50 watts should drive them ok, but just wont be able to push them near their limits. I think that if the amplifier isnt going into distortion, it will sound the same as a higher powered amp. Am I wrong?

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
The proof is in the listening. I've heard Studio 100s driven by a 300+wpc SS McIntosh amp. I got to turn them WAY up. It was obvious that they needed more power.

Another example, different brand, is my B&W Nautilus 804s. I drove them for a while with a decent 70wpc receiver. They sounded darn good. A year later, I started driving them with a Bryston 4B-ST. It's rated at 250wpc, tested at 310wpc. The difference in sound was incredible, at all volumes. The main difference is the bass.

I've heard of people having the same experience with Studio 100s, PSB Gold "i" and Silver "i" speakers.

My personal rule of thumb is to use the high number mentioned regarding power handling as the true minimum.

DonJ

Second Unit
Ted
Buy them, 1300.00 for a set of slightly used studios is bargain, and yes they are great speakers, but you do need POWER to get the best from them.
keir
you can drive them with a 50 watt amp but your not going to come close to there true potential. From my experience they need at least a true 100 wpc to get them to open up. I would say you need at least a high-end receiver to approach there best, but you would be better off with separates.

Andrew Walbert

Stunt Coordinator
They're not bad
That's an understatement, to be sure. Personally, after hearing them, I've decided that when the money is available, I'll be getting Paradigm Studio 100's for the front, and other Studio speakers for the rest of a 7.1 setup. For the money, they're quite good.

As far as the amplification question goes, I would think that 50W would be ok, but I suspect that the Studio 100's don't really completely "wake up" until you give them the kind of power they deserve - 250-300W. Then again, I think most folks only run 100-150W to them and they sound great. I'm not sure how much power the pair I listened to was getting, because I didn't think to ask at the time (I was a bit too shocked at the quality and depth of the sound).

The best thing to do is listen to them for yourself, preferably in a home A/B comparison with some other high-end stuff from B&W, Polk, etc.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I think the comment about "not bad" is an understatement myself, but everyone has a different experience and I don't invalidate the writers comment. It's his and he's entitled to his opinion.

The price of $1300 U.S. is a great deal. If you can put up with the color, grab them. Also remember, the 100's are not shielded if that is a consideration.

The more power the better the better with the 100's. I've driven them with a 105 watt receiver, 200 watts and 400 watts external amplification and the difference I have found as the power increases is you hear tighter bass, better soundstage and defined midrange.

Ted: I don't know what type of amplification you use, but even if its a 100 wpc receiver, you could always add external amplication. Picking up a used amp for $300-$600 with the $1300 total at the high end would be $1900. That is what I paid for my Studio 100's last year. If you like the Paradigm sound, that's a great deal at that price.

AhsanR

Stunt Coordinator
True true.

The better the amp, the better the sound.

Try the Sunfire Grand Cinema, its amazing.

If you liked the Paradigms, there was a board, where they compared them to the Rockets, and apparently Paradigm 100s got their clocked cleaned in the mids and highs.

Ted_Wern

Agent
Thanks for the input so far......For now I would be driving them with the Marantz SR8200 which is 120 watts per channel. I also have another question... How far does a un-shielded speaker need to be from a rear projection?

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
That price is a rip off! Go to www.6ave.com They have them for $1,900. Go to the springfield store and see a guy named NETZER. Cut a deal with him, you should get them for close to $1,600. Do not talk to any other salesman at that store only Netzer, he is the man. Call before you go to make sure he is there. The speakers are incrediable! They need lots of power,50 Watts will not cut it. More like 250 Wpc.:D

Lynn Little

Stunt Coordinator
"How far does a un-shielded speaker need to be from a rear projection?"

You can place them pretty close, let's say 18" or so, usually. Most rear projection TVs are fairly insensitive to magnetic fields.

BTW everybody, when I said "They're not bad", referring to the Studio 100s, I didn't mean it as a cut. When I started looking for good speakers a few years ago, they were my first choice, along with PSB Gold "i", PSB Silver "i" and B&W CDM 7SEs. My favorite two of those four speakers was actually the PSB Silver "i" and B&W CDM 7SE speakers. Finally, after literally weeks of agonizing over my decision, I went by my local B&W dealer to place my order. I screwed up (in a good way) and listened to a pair of well broken in Nautilus 804s. I fell in love, figured out how to get the extra cash and have been happy with them ever since.

The point to all that rambling is this. If you like the sound of a well broken in pair of Studio 100s (in black) driven by your receiver (for now), get them!

Andy Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

I have owned the Studio 100s for 2 years and I love them. If you like the sound of them more than anything else you have listened to and can swing the $1300 then get them.
As already stated here, you will enjoy them with your receiver, but you will realize their full potential with a seperate amp of 200 watts or more.
I also went from driving them with a receiver,to the Rotel RB-1080(200x2) to the Rotel RB-1090(380x2) and could hear an improvement with each upgrade.
Just listen to plenty of speakers and purchase what makes you happy!

Ted_Wern

Agent
Robert, beleive me, I was already at the Audio Review site. It is the first place I went after posting. 160 reviews on the 100's, only a few that weren't happy. I did love they way they sounded and I think I am going to take the plunge. I do have a question for Dave MA. Your post is confusing me. you say 1300.00 is a ripoff, and then give me a link where they cost more....? I am a little confused.

Dave Ma

Stunt Coordinator
TED,
You wrote:I auditioned the Paradigm Studio 100's today and I was really impressed with them. With a Price tag of $2400.00, It was a little out of my league:frowning: The $1,300 as I read it was for a "USED PAIR" someone returned. Now if this guy wants $2,400 for a new pair why is he selling a pair that was brought back only because of a color problem with someones wife for only $1,300? Something is real odd with that???????? So the guy got credit for bringing them back without boxes.Now the store is only going to sell them for $1,300. 1K off for no boxes? Something does not make sense here!!! Just not right. Something stinks!:thumbsdown: The prices I gave are for brand new Speakers in boxes.:D The ripoff price I was refuring to was the $2,400 you stated that was out of your league.Sorry for the confusion;)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Speaker market up is 50% probably more for paradigm in the US given the canadian prices. He knows he can't sell the open box speakers for new pricing and on top of that, someone willing to shell out $2.5K on speakers is most probably not going to want an open box. Makes sense to me to sell at cost or close to it, that's probably what he's doing, just to get rid of them.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Agreed with James's analysis, but Dave brings up a good point as when things look to good to be true, they just may be.

However, never look a gift horse in the mouth?? :)

If the FULL warranty comes with the speakers and there are not any cosmetic defects, it's a great price on the 100's.

RobertV

Grip
Ted,
It's not uncommon for a retailer to have gently used items in their inventory, especially speakers, and especially higher quality speakers.

Most experienced listeners will tell you that all speakers can sound completely different in your home, with your electronics, vs. a retail showroom. Most better retailers understand this, and will allow returns from customers who have experienced this within a reasonable time frame and provided the units are in like new condition.

The retailer now has a product that cannot be sold as new, and is forced to discount it to sell it.

A good salesman can sense that your objection to purchasing the item may be price. In turn, he may offer you the open box item at a discount.

I would recommend that you have the dealer set up the speakers so you can evaluate their sound versus the display models, and inspect them for cosmetic damage in the process.

Hope this helps!

Ted_Wern

Agent
The fact of the matter is...I am freinds with the manager of theis place and they always give me a great deal. I have been a loyal customer since I am 19 years old. When I was auditoning subs they let me take as many home as I wanted before making a decision...... It is a high end store and no customer besides me would ever tak a pair of speakers that were out of the box.... I really could care less....they come with the full warranty, and like anything else that I have ever bought there...if I have a problem with it, they always take care of it....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks