What's new

Panasonic PT-47WX49 Available (1 Viewer)

Brett W

Agent
*WOW* Got the set a day early, hooked it up to my SkyWorth DVD and I am flawed at the quality.
I have played parts of numerous DVDs once I did a basic Avia test set. The detail, clarity and overall realism is just so great - I am not regretting this set at all.
Mass - Really sorry to hear the probs, maybe I shall notice some of evils of this set once I hook the ps2 up and play some games, and actually watch some OTA and Sat programming. I am just appreciatign widescreen for the fast time and I love it, I really, really do love it.
Write more later, Brett

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Mass, that's disappointing to hear. My other piece of bad news today is that my TV is not anticipated to arrive until the 3rd week of July.
At first, I panicked when I read your post re: Panny's SVM and red push.
But after doing many searches here, at HTSpot, AVS and other places, it looks like every manufacturer has its problems:
1. Mitsu has a more restricted 2002 service menu (ISF techs are locked out, apparently) and have worse red push than Panny.
2. Tosh have love/hate reviews. I've never been impressed with the ones I've seen. Have geometry and purity issues.
3. Pioneer Elites - way out of my price range...
So it looks like for better or worse, the PT-47 is still my best bet (getting it for less than $1600 from a friend who is a dealer). I guess I'll have to dig around for some fixes to the SVM/Red push problems. Hopefully JohnnyG can uncover something from his friends at Panasonic.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Massimo - which widescreen Toshiba's did Steve's TV have BTW? Do you remember any prices?
Keep us informed on what you decide to do.
Good Luck.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

David A. Frattaroli

Stunt Coordinator
That's too bad about the Red Push and SVM problems. I thought this set my be too good to be true and it seems I may have been right. I've been using my Toshiba TW40H80 (Non-HDTV 16:9) for 2 years and couldn't be happier. As with any other brand, there will be love/hate reviews. That doesn't change for any manufacturer.
Prices will come down on RPTVs because of this set. That's good. Already the 56" Toshiba WS is around $2200. For a few hundred more, you get a bigger image and a proven design.
Plus, with FPTV prices coming down, you may consider things like the InFocus LP-340 or LP-350 just to name a couple. Good DLP projectors with great brightness and resolution can be had for well under $4k.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David,
Are you talking about the Toshiba 56H80? Or the new one that's supposed to come out? I've only seen the 56H80 for $2999 (at OneCall) not $2200, unless that's the new price for the upcoming set. Where did you see it for this price?
My limit really is $2000. I can absolutely stretch it to $2200-$2300 if that's what the Tosh costs, but I haven't found it at that price range.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike.
The shipping is okay since it will probably be out of state (hence no tax). I was planning on paying 8% tax on $2K which is $160. Another $100 won't kill me.
Would this set be, in people's opinion, head and shoulders above the Panasonic? It doesn't say on Tosh's site if it does inverse 3:2 pulldown detection, and I don't want to have to spring for a new DVD player just yet (am going to be broke for a little while).
Thanks!

W

Will

Hi Carlo,
The 56" Toshiba is bigger than the Panasonic you're
considering. Some people's pet peeve's about their
set is they wish they had a bigger set. If you
are deciding between a smaller and a bigger set,
keep that in mind. There is some controversy about
the 2001 Toshiba's and 3:2 pulldown. I don't know
if 2001 56" Toshiba's do pulldown. (Other threads
say 2001 65" Toshiba's after some manufacturing
date do do 3:2.)
I bet the 2002 56" Toshiba does 3:2 pulldown and it's
out this fall. The 2002 56" Toshiba is 56H81, the
2001 is 56H80 -- it will be discontinued in a few months.
quote:
The shipping is okay since it will probably be out of state (hence no tax)
[/quote]
Your profile doesn't state the state you're in. :)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Sigh... I emailed OneCall asking for a shipping quote to Alaska. I just got a reply... Unfortunately, they cant ship items as large as this set here...
frown.gif

There are no dealers here that carry this set... The Sears store here has a couple direct view Panasonic sets but I dont think they carry any of the RPTV Pannys... I guess I could ask, though I doubt they would offer the Panasonic financing. I guess it's worth checking.
Anyone know of some other dealers that would carry this set with financing, and might ship to AK?
Brian
(who is now quite bummed)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Well Mass, what can I say? I warned you! The SVM issue is definitely fixable, but I'm not confident that there's going to be a fix for the red push.
Lou, if you're still considering your dealer options, I'm here to serve! All HD sets leave the door fully calibrated as part of the purchase price.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Will, sorry, I'm in SoCal and I just replaced my sig with Shaq's "Can you dig it?" line in celebration of the championship. I'll probably change it back to SoCal in a few weeks.
re: larger set, yes it's always nice. but I am in a VERY small living room (apartment) and anything really larger than 56" will make my front door hit my speaker. I haven't measured it out, but I think 56" itself might be too much. I've already had to take OFF the closet door in the living room because a speaker sits in front of it (I have a curtain rod and a walk-through veil now to get into the closet).
For me, it's not just price, but size. Also, living in Los Angeles with skyrocketing rent, I may be forced to move at any time...and the Panny 47" weighs 175lbs while the 56" weighs 300+ lbs. That's also a very important consideration.
Once I can afford a more permanent place (condo/house) I will definitely put out the cash for a huge RPTV or a front projector. But that's not until 5 years at the earliest, probably closer to 7-10 years away.

Brett W

Agent
Brian,
The newer Sears in-store catalogue list this set. They should be getting them in soon (well that's what the guy told me Tuesday)
Hope that helps.
Mass - Please don't give up hope, together we will all overcome any issues. Just look at the Mitsi owners and the Tosh ppl.
- Brett

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Re: SVM and red push--as it pertains to me...
Hopefully JohnnyG (or others in the web community) will come upon the fix for SVM.
I will beg and plead Ron to help me make an attenuator (which he did for his Mitsu) since he's local here the area if it comes to it. I've got two left thumbs and no tools so I don't know if I can successfully make one...I might have to bribe him with dinner or something!
wink.gif

Couple all these restrictions (for me) with the fact that I can land the 47" for around $1500, I think this is as good as it's gonna get for me right now.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hey John - I'm in the same boat with my TV as I was with my DVD player. I have a 2 year old Toshiba TP50H60 50" 4:3 RPTV that I would like to use to trade up to a HDTV.
If you willing to work with that then we may be able to arrange something. Right now I do have a vendor that is willing to accept an trade in - but they are much further away.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Brett:
Yes that helps quite a bit :)
I'll head down to Sears in the next day or so and see if they can order one, and if so, if they also will offer the Panasonic financing. Is Sears authorized for all the TV brands they sell? Somewhere, I thought I read that they weren't, and they used their own warranty on some of the sets. Maybe that was a different dealer.
Hopefully this works out. I'd feel more comfortable buying a set locally anyway.
Anyone know more details about the financing thing? OneCall lists their offer as expiring on July 8th, but I don't know if this is tied in with Panasonic or not. The Panny website doesn't say much, just that they are offering financing on all their projection sets, except the DLP model I believe.
Brian

Brett W

Agent
Well gents, last night I was in rapture - course the beer helped :) but tonight I did the following:
* Ran Avia tests and set the following numbers...
- Color: 38
- Tint: 26
- Brightness: 42
- Picture: 25
- Sharpness: 37
* Checked the single point convergence, and that was good having done that last night
* Did the 9pt convergence (was not in the frame of mind to do it last night) and cleaned things up tremendously
* Re-ran Avia tests, lowered the Color to 37, and that was all I changed.
The picture is stunning, I cannot get over the detail on DVDs coming from the Panasonic/Skyworth duo. Now I understand the picture settings are all subjective to individual preferences, rooms, etc, but I feel the above numbers could be considered a good baseline of sorts.
Take care people, and Mass, what are you deciding on doing now? I really have to say I love this set myself.
We all just need to get at the service menus and listen to JohnnyG to really take this set to the next level though.
- Brett

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
WOW This thread got large fast!
Got some good news. Panasonic replied to my e-mail I sent them on Tuesday. Their customer service is top notch! I received a response within 24 hours of inquiring informing me of the next steps.
I'll try and keep this short. I still have the set ...
Panasonic is sending a technician and possibly the service supervisor to take a look at the set tomorrow morning. I'm quite impressed with the response. I asked about the SVM on Tuesday, and the RED Push on Wednesday and I got a service booking for tomorrow morning. I didn't think this level of customer service existed anymore (outside of SV Subwoofers of course
biggrin.gif
)
Depending on the outcome of the service call tomorrow, I'll decide what to do.
John ... what can I say
blush.gif
Words of wisdom going right through the ears of a young wipersnapper. I heard your warning, but I didn't want to believe it. I guess I got caught up in the excitement of actually owning my first HDTV. It amazing what impresses at the showroom floor, but disapoints when spending some time with it.
I'll keep everyone updated.
Cheers!
Mass

Brett W

Agent
Mass - Great news, and I think it's very positive for Panasonic. I think you are a deciding factor for many prospective owners, I know you certainly sealed my deal - my credit card says thank you
wink.gif

What kind of things are you noticing problems with? I know my mate came around tonight and plugged his DVD player into my set, and we were both very surprised at the image quality (or lack of) compared to the progressive Skyworth.
My TV aerial is not the best, so OTA does not look to hot, and I think I noticed the SVM crap you have spoken about
frown.gif
but overall for Dish programming and DVD films I love it.
All the best mate, Brett.
PS: If you can get a hold of the service manual try and slip it out fo the tech's sight, scan it and I'll host it
wink.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sweet, Massimo!
I can only hope that Panasonic US's service is as good. I do know the shortcomings of the set, but will still be purchasing. Why?
1. I believe the SVM will be fixable through either the service or some other menu. Even if I have to call Panasonic directly, I believe that I will be able to turn it off.
2. The 15% red push won't bother me. Why? Because my Sony TV has the same red push (AVIA confirmed) and it doesn't bother me now, nor has it for 5 years. If I can build the attenuator or fix it in the service menu, all the better, but this one isn't the deal breaker for me.
Please do keep us informed on your experiences. Since my ETA was pushed back to 3rd week of July, I need my Panasonic fix any way I can get it!
wink.gif

W

Will

I am in a VERY small living room (apartment) and anything really larger than 56" will make my front door hit my speaker. I haven't measured it out, but I think 56" itself might be too much.

You may want to measure it out, just to be sure.
Many people prefer the larger set. But of course
it must fit into your room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks