What's new

Please help me hook up PC to HDTV (confused) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi All,
I have the following video card: MSI Geforce 2 Pro with a monitor output and an S-video output. I'm trying to hook it up to my HDTV, a Panasonic PT-47WX49, and by hooking it up via S-Video the quality looks like crap. The PT-47 is an HD ready set, and I don't own a set-top HD receiver.
Is there some sort of monitor to YPbPr connector that I can buy? Where would be a good place to get one, if such a thing exists?
I guess I'm maxing out the S-Video signal because when I hook it up it looks like it's hooked up to a regular TV. My available resolutions are only 800x600 or lower, and the TV style can only be set to NTSC or PAL in the properties menu, no HD output via S-Video.
Can anyone help me get great resolution from this setup? Here's my PC config if it helps: Athlon 850/IBM ATA100 HD/MSI GeForce2 Pro 64MB/ACER DVD-ROM/Windows ME/256MB RAM
Thanks in advance!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yup, that looks like it!
Damn, another $135 to spend on this stupid addict...er...hobby.
Oh the pain!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But will I also have to buy the PowerStrip program? It looks like the 9A60 only converts 960x540 into 1980i and that's not one of my resolution choices (using GeForce 2 Pro 64MB card and 1070 nVidia drivers).
This is getting more and more expensive. On the bright side, I'll be able to play Madden on my bigscreen...
biggrin.gif

------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused - whats the advantage of the device mentioned above, over the usual VGA-to-NTSC converters that everyone seems to sell. Those claim they can do resolutions greater than 800x600 in many cases; is it that they just don't have component outs?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
VGA to NTSC basically gives you Standard Definition Television (480i) resolution. The above device lets you select a computer resolution of 960x540 (you have to have PowerStrip to get this resolution if your graphics card/driver doesn't have it as a default setting) and upconverts it to 1080i. The result will be a near-HD quality rendering on your HDTV or FP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks