What's new

*** Official THE BOURNE SUPREMACY Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I am surprised that no one has mentioned this bit from the movie, but then again maybe I was the only one that had a problem with it.

I had a real problem with Jason Bourne confronting Neski's daughter at the end. Basically he tells her that he is not going to hurt her (after she finds out that he broke into her apartment, and is waiting for her with a gun in his hand), and that he was the one who killed her parents because it was his job.

I am still shaking my head about it.

"Hi, I know you must be scared because I broke into you apartment and I have a gun. I know that you don't have any clue as to who I am, and that you must have had a very rough childhood getting over the deaths of your parents. But if it means anything to you, your mother didn't murder your father then committ suicide. No. I killed them. It was my job. Have a nice life kid."

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I liked The Bourne Supremacy, although not as much as some here.

I thought it was a solid, well acted spy/action flick, however I also felt that it was rather generic with nothing extraordinary about it and even a bit predictable. Everything was good, nothing was great if you know what I mean. I enjoyed the first film much more.

The action scenes were good, but imo,not really original or exciting. The character driven scenes were well written and directed and that is what sets it apart from similar fare. I want to learn more about Bourne's past, but I guess I'll have to wait.

I really like the Bourne character and I'm sure we'll see more of him in future films.

:star::star::star:

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The only real problem I have is the CIA folks overlooking the fact that the somebody with the ability to pull off a professional job like that would NEVER leave a trace especially a full fingerprint.

B

I would like it if Julia Stiles becomes a little annoyed with the CIa a decides she'd be better working intel for Bourne. Actually I just want to see more of JS

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For Bourne, information is everything, so for him to make it "right", he was compelled to tell Neski's daughter the truth because, otherwise, the daughter would always remembered her mother as being the one who killed her father and destroyed her family. For a man with no concrete memories of his former life, he risked his life to bring the truth home for an innocent in the espionage game because it was the right thing to do.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And also by telling her, he allows her to transfer her hate to him instead of her own mother. An excellent scene.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with letting her know the truth, but I felt it could have been delivered better than it was.

Trust me, I completely understand the basis behind it. I would have rather seen the movie resort to him leaving her money (since she lived in the "projects") along with a note explaining everything.

The whole movie in regards to what Bourne was seeking (other than piecing more of his past together) was to be left alone. He was done with his job, and he wanted no part of it. Wasn't it enough to let her know, and clear his conscience? Now are we to say that he is inviting her revenge against him? I, personally, would hate if the story goes this route, but if it does it does.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, see, I thought the last scene was one of my favorite in the film. Bourne is struggling to find his own humanity; this was a step in that direction.. Cox's character challenged him by saying he was "a killer" and "that's all you'll ever be" Bourne took a step to try to renounce that, to change it, in the last scene.. somewhat an act of redemption. I loved it ;)

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Remember Mike that Joan Allen's character and her team do not really know Bourne or what he is capable of. And Abbott (Brian Cox's character), a man who knows Bourne is reinforcing their suspicions rather than dissuading them from pursuing him. It seemed very sensible and realistic to me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Remember the Bride and Verdita Green scene in Kill Bill Vol 1? The same can be said about what the Bride tells Green's daughter Nikki (w/r/t if Nikkie wants vengeance later in her life, she's entitled to it). Neski's daughter at least knows who to focus her anger on if she wanted to go that way (though it's doubtful she'd be able to do much against Bourne). The scene is also about Bourne cleaning up the mess his previous life created, and thus finding some sliver of redemption (though who knows how many black op kills Bourne has under his belt), and Bourne may never ever even up the score for as long as he draws a breath.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, they were Chrystlers, which is now owned by Mercedes, so they weren't really American cars, were they? :)

Jason

KyleK

Second Unit
I liked it, but they went a little overboard on the shaky-camera cinematography. The movie actually made a kid in my theater throw up from motion sickness.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I liked the movie overall. As with most, I sort of longed for the Liman approach to action sequences as the style used really obscured what I imagine was some good fight choreography and driving. I sat back in the theater during a second viewing and found it a bit better but still probably harms the film more than helps it.

The only real plot point I have a problem with is the last Treadstone assassin. There is really no setup for finding him, as I think it relies on Bourne remembering him or just arriving there by magic. The character provides no information, his demise is not mentioned by anyone in the film, and he provides Bourne no information. I really think it was just padding for an action sequence during a gulf of action in the film.

Overall, it's a well done film. I liked the process for Bourne to identify who was after him, I loved the lack of soft pedalling during the interrogation of Nicky, and Joan Allen and Brian Cox are always a treat.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Alex, I agree. The many angles & cuts took me out of the action of some scenes. But sometimes it captured the feeling of an intense situation, when sensory information sort of bombards you. (I certainly felt in the middle of the action in Bloody Sunday.)

And the fight scene with the other Treadstoner struck me as an equivalent for the 'down & dirty' knife vs. pen fight of the first film. (But still very cool!)

I'd love a 3rd entry (Bourne Free?), from Greengrass or another ambitious helmer. And like brentl, I think more Stiles would be nice!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The third book is "The Bourne Ultimatum." I think that ultimatum is clear from the first two installments: "Leave me alone!"

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

Yes. I did see Kill Bill Vol 1. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that film based on "revenge"? So the explanation to the daughter at that time made "perfect" sense in regards to the story.

Another thing about what I have been saying Jason Bourne was a "trained" assassin. It was obvious in the two movies that the government spent boat-loads of money on him to be an assassin. Wouldn't he have failed some sort of psychology test because he couldn't handle the results of his actions (too soft)?

Even in the first film, he had no problems going ahead with his plans to take out his target on the yacht. He stopped with the assassination attempt because the children were "present" whereas Neski's daughter wasn't even there. He even acknowledged that he had to change his plans at the last minute because Neski's wife was there (indicating he was still thinking like the trained assassin that he was).

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
What I am surprised about The Bourne Supremacy, is Chris Cooper was even in the film, all in flashback (for obvious reasons). Is it possible that his scenes were dropped shots from the first film, and added into the second? For such a rising actor to have an almost cameo type role, I was beginning to believe that maybe his character was still alive...

8^B

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I really loved this film.

Hoping a third one is in the works.
Should be, after the positive reviews and stellar weekend take.

Just one thing I need clarifying,
The Russian docs that were stolen then covered up, to make it look like Bourne did it, was is Russian docs, that said Cox's character killed a vice-premier?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks