What's new

*** Official CRASH Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Makes sense to me. I didn't really have too much to say on the film either until it became the Most Overrated Best Picture winner. :)

AlexCremers

Second Unit

You got that right! The message and themes are played out so explicitly that it's an eye opener for some but a turnoff for others.

Alex

WadeLil

Stunt Coordinator
Well i can count on one hand all the times i agreed with the oscars for best picture.I dont know when ill agree again so im enjoying CRASH success.If there was a movie which everyone ageed upon it would be the first in history.STAR WARS,LORD OF THE RINGS,TITANIC are just a few of the films that i wouldnt watch again for free,but im satified with avoiding them like the plague.I realize theres a market for those that dont include me and im fine with that as long as im not watching.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H

I love when I see these types of comments. I don't know what your definition of "the culture" is, but I feel the need to burst your bubble - not enough people even SAW BBM, let alone care about whether or not it won any award, for it to matter or for "the culture" to have been pierced.

Now, the people for whom BBM is some cultural wake up call to arms - to each their own - but, while they have all been extremely vocal on the internet you need only step away from NY or LA or whatever urban supercenter you live in to see that BBM really has had little impact on "the culture".

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
If CRASH is a Lifetime movie, BBM is a Hallmark movie.

And, if you come to a CRASH discussion thread to make it known you have always thought CRASH was crappy (without any specifics other than the typical, and now cliched, reasons people bash CRASH) because you think it sucks that it beat BBM for an Oscar? Well, that makes you a thread crapper.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. BBM is a fine film, and I would have been OK with it's win as well. But I can't help to think it's cultural influence is beeing VASTLY overstated, especially by the gay community (well duh).

My personal experience, half of those (not just guys) I've told I watched it gave me this big "why the heck would you see that" look. That's even before I say that I really enjoyed it. And I've been the butt of jokes for saying that.

Cultural phenomenon? Outside of the avalanche of jokes, I've seen no indication of such a thing. And I live in an honest to goodness northeastern "out-of-touch-with-mainstream-america" blue state :D.

--
H

DeeF

Screenwriter
The fact that you have straight friends who wouldn't go to Brokeback Mountain if you paid them shows it has had a huge cultural impact, meaning, the title and the movie and its theme and plot are known to most Americans. That is far above the impact of a movie like Crash.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I came to this thread to state my negative opinion of Crash, the movie that just won the Best Picture Oscar. Negative opinions of a movie don't make anyone a thread crapper.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's take this current discussion back over to the Oscar thread which is basically "Brokeback Mountain" versus "Crash" and the whole Oscar argument.

Crawdaddy

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Just watched this at home. Very good flick. I did not feel good afterwards but rather contemplative, which is what I thought the effect the movie was after. A very solid performance by the cast, there was not one weak link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks