1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Oar

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Pledger, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

As for outcry about "Aliens", I wasn't a member of this board when it was released, so I don't know what was going on here then.

But I am still very much disappointed that there is no theatrical version of it available on DVD, along with the SE. I don't think seamless branching had been explored when it was released though, and Cameron seems to prefer the SE, so that's why there aren't two versions, I think.

There were plenty of complaints about "Jaws" not having the mono soundtrack on it.

/Mike

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Justin,
    Nice to see you in this forum too...and posting so politely [​IMG]
    I assume when you take issue with DD or DTS you're really talking about audio mixes that have been remixed from mono or 2.0 stereo originals to 4.0 or 5.1 remixes? After all...DTS and DD are merely digital compression schemes that if done properly should preserve the fidelity of the source signal (of course, there's even MORE controversy about *that* [​IMG] )
    If you read a little deeper you'd find that most of us who enjoy a lovely 5.1 *director* or *original mixer approved* remix are also very adamant about having the original mono mix available too (Rocky Horror, Terminator etc).
    As others have said, as long as a multi-track master was created for a 70 mm release (in addition to the standard 2-channel dolby surround mixed version), then there's no real "remixing" as the 5.1 DVD is representing a theatrical mix.
    Many of us also feel very strongly that these multichannel mixes on DVD should *accurately* represent such original multi-channel endeavours. Sound of Music does a wonderful job preserving the directional dialogue of the original mix (for which it has been criticized in some on-line DVD reviews!). Ben Hur has been remixed with "mono" center-channel-only dialogue to much criticism on this forum.
    As far as original versions of films vs "director's cuts" I think there's much controversy. Most of us view a difference between a film that had been cut or altered by a *studio* being restored to its original state that the director intended (like Aliens and Abyss) vs the "revisionist" director work we see being done with the original Star Wars films and E.T. And certainly everyone offers much praise when *both* versions of the film are made available (Legend and Blade Runner).
    There's nothing inconsistent with pushing strongly for a particular aspect of DVD mastering (OAR) and less strongly for others (not boycotting a DVD on the basis of not containing original mono soundtracks). Sure, in a perfect world we'd want it all. But there are certain issues that get priority for many factors and this shouldn't be viewed as an inconsistency, but rather a reflection of how much energy one can realisticaly devote to the pursuit of a hobby even for the purist.
    -dave [​IMG]
    p.s. We're not so bad over here, we just take these things seriously. If you do a search you'll see droves and droves of threads debading the very issues you raise in your initial post.

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor