What's new

NOTHING impressive about Jurassic Park III (1 Viewer)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I don't have Toy Story 2 as of yet but everything I've heard says the opening to the film has some of the best bass around. I can't imagine everybody I've heard that from is wrong. There must be something amiss with your setup.

Gavin_L

Second Unit
i thought the bass was awesome with this movie, made the experience a lot more real, added a lot to watching the movie

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Even on my shitty shelf system I got some decent rumble from this title. I'll also have to disagree with you regarding the film I thought it was a fun little romp with out the pretentiousness of TLW.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The Lost World and the original JP have more bass than JP3
NOPE!

JP III kills both by far,even the "repressed" JP DTS,I have all three.

Also it seems that some of you have different idea[or none]as how to set up a sub properly.Also some of you defy bass differently,then I would.

Real bass to me is below 35hz with no roll off till 18hz.

JP III and Tos Story 2 both are fine examples of real bass,Fight Club with the exception of the "Plane Crash" scene has nothing on those two movies,for extension and output.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I'm even more confused about you not getting any bass with Toy Story 2. I had my receiver set on +3dB for the subwoofer level and the S700 amp level for my SVS 20-39CS at -10dB and the openening scene still had very powerful bass that shook the whole house. I had to turn it down because the sounds of doors and windows rattling was becoming too distracting.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
David, when you said that you get no low end on 'Toy story', I was taken aback! I think that their is indeed something amiss in your system somewhere, their is great low end in a few scenes on the original 'TS'.
Let me ask you this, is the low pass frequency cut off on your sub turned all the way up? If not, the low end energy of some films may not be getting deliverd by your sub because the low end of the film exceeds what your allowing your sub to deliver. I have the low pass on my sub turned to max, this way i'm assured that i'm feeling all the low end that any given film has to offer.
Bottom line, you may need to recalibrate because something isn't right.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
JPIII has some serious bass! The audio mix in the movie sometimes left me feeling dizzy. Like there was too much information for my little head to process. It was a fun movie if you were able to buy into that suspension of disblief stuff. (Which I was able to do) :emoji_thumbsup:
Jon

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hands down, Jurassic Park III is the worst film of 2001. I haven't a clue how the bass is on the DVD since I saw the film in it's original theatrical showing and was so appalled at the ineptness of it all that I wouldn't be caught dead with the film in my collection.
To be fair, though, if you're more into home theatre than film, I suppose one might be more inclined to like it.

Trevor H

Second Unit
David,

I think the reason why you are having trouble feeling the bass on some movies is because of where your sub is, run some low test sweeps and check with your SPL meter, i'll bet you have some frequency "holes", try moving your sub to a closed corner then run the sweeps again. By the way what are your room dimensions?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I heard a lot of bass at home, but when I listened to it at my in-law's place over the holidays, I noticed a complete absence of it in the pro-logic down-mix. It is all in the LFE and they did not do much to conform the DD 5.1 mix for downmixing. Probably unrelated to the poster's dilemma in this thread, though, unless he has his LFE gain turned down too low for DTS.

Regards,

Al Glasser

Auditioning
You just have to love Dino's :_) The plot is dumb but how can you make a good plot with Dinosaurs? It's just a fun movie series and I love them. Crank em up and sit back and make believe.

Al

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I want to know what has more bass than JP3 My SVS made the whole room shake. Besides TPM are there other movies out there with this kind of bass. It was awesome!!!! David something is wrong with you sub or it just can not produce this type of bass. Maybe you sub does not go this low? I hope you find the problem. Bass recommended movies anyone?

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Well, I know that I said Jurassic Park III had no bass, but what I meant was that it only had NORMAL bass, just like in any other movie, such as the movie "Clueless" or "Cruel Intentions"...but not bass like some people describe, like shaking pictures in the kitchen that is over 50 feet away...Or cracking their walls open, or knocking down their home-theater...etc.

Question to all: Did you listen to Jurassic Park III at reference level? I could NOT do this, because the soundtrack was recorded louder than normal, therefore, I was listening to it around 12 Dbs lower than reference...Maybe that's why I wasn't feeling the bass as much as you guys.

On the other hand, when I said that Toy Story didn't have any bass, I truely meant that....It's just not present...My sub won't shake at all during that movie!

Someone aksed me what my room dimensions were, and where was my sub placed. My room dimensions are 13'x9' and I have the sub placed at the south-right corner of my room, right next to the couch...in fact, the sub is TOUCHING the couch.

John Williamson: The cross-over on my sub does not do anything, here is what the manual to the sub says:

DIGITAL SUB IN: This connection is used if you have a preamplifier or a receiver/integrated amplifier which has a built-in subwoofer crossover (such as a Dolby Digital/5.1 or 6.1 or a THX-type reciever) that follows the volume control. It can also be used with external crossovers.

NOTE: This is a full-range input and the CROSSOVER FREQUENCY control does NOT affect the signal.

And, just to test what It said, I tried turning the crossover frequency knob, and sure enough, it didn't do anything.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
david, i all the dvd's that you mentioned and JP3 has the "baddest" bass of them all. just like you, my sub is beside the couch and it can really make the couch jump whenever the spinosaurus show up. what is the model of the sub that you have? some manufacturers will indicate that it can go to a certain freq. but they don't indicate how loud.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
David,

Please don’t take this personally, but something is seriously wrong with your system setup.

JP III and Toy Story 2 have some of the best BASS of my entire collection (500+).

Except maybe for Episode 1, Saving Private Ryan DTS or The Haunting DTS.

A 13’ x 9’ room should be quite easy to fill with quality BASS.

I was watching the Plane Crash and initial Spino scene over by Brother-in-laws place.

With a single SVS 25-31PC, the screen of his RPTV was actually FLEXING to the BASS effects in his 15’ x 17’ room.

Shawn S

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
the BASS was hardly ever present
Goodness gracious man, how much bass do you want? My Hsu worked harder than it ever has, I thought my house was going to jump off its foundation. I actually turned my sub down a couple dB's, this DVD has more bass than any movie I have ever seen. However, I never watched the Haunting dts disc.
I would check you settings again, this movie should not leave you saying "the BASS was hardly ever present".
Good luck figuring out what is going on with your system, I know how frustrating things like this can be.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
JP3 does indeed have Plenty of bass in it, as do the other JP movies as well. Other bass movies are...

* Toy Story 2

* Titan AE

- Independence Day

- The Iron Giant

- The Phantom Menace

- Vertical Limit

- Pearl Harbour

- The Matrix

- Terminator 2

The ones in * have exceptional bass

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I have dual 12" 250 watt subs for the LFE and dual 10" 150 watt (speaker level connected) subs for the surrounds and they ALL got one hell of a workout.

My LFE Trim goes from a min of -10 to a max of 0. I always leave it at 0 and the DD version showed a 5db increase over the DTS version. The DD version was so strong that I had to set my receivers sub level to the min (-12) and it still bottomed out my LFE subs(my LFE subs will hit 25hz). I then backed off the subs gain by about a third and all was good. The room still shook like the house was coming down though.

No problems here

Ralph

Auditioning
I watched JPIII the other night and I enjoyed it a lot. Surely, the first JP was great and JPIII compares measly to it but JPIII is way better than Lost World was.

This excitement has a lot to do with a properly set up ht system with ALL speaker acting in the manner they are supposed to do.

During my sitting though JPIII I had tremendous bass from the sub coupled with great use of the surround ..... I can say that the bass was very well placed by the sound engineers ..... not just constant boom-boom .... but it looks as if this is something some folks permanently want, as though there were no quieter sections in the movie.

People sometimes better check their system and its setup before "killing" a movie which was never intended to be more than "real fun" ...... and that it really was to me.

My system consists of B&W speakers including an active B&W subwoofer, not just boo-boom-equipment but highend speakers. All speakers were properly set-up with sound level meter at thx reference level.

Other great bass-intense movies:

Titan AE ..... a real killer

Toy Story 2 ..... opening sequence

Ralph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks