What's new

NOTHING impressive about Jurassic Park III (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
could you be less more specific about what you thought was bad.

the look of the dvd the quality of the extras.

pretty useless thread without giving more thought on the subject.

i thought the movie itself was pretty good.

it had a sense of humor about itself.

the image looked good too.

the dts track was excellent.

i liked it and i'm glad i bought it.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I thought it was fun. I went into the theater to see things be eaten and destroyed. I wasn't disappointed. the soundtrack was good, and I thought it was better than The Lost World. I didn't go in expecting Citizen Kane. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I agree, maybe you could be more specefic next time...and yes, this belongs in the Movies section.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I thought it was good too. And fun as Josh says. Ebert viewed it as a B type movie throwback. I enjoyed it. Certainly the original JP was fantastic, but III was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Lost World for me.
I thought the cast was pretty effective in III too. Anytime you can get Sam Neil in the mix, you can almost always get good results, save Event Horizon. :D

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
This sounds like it's becoming a poll, so I'l chime in...

I liked it, too.

I was never bored, always wondering what was going to happen next, I liked the pteranodons, and the kid wasn't annoying.

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I liked JP3 alot. I liked it better than TLW.

I do have a question about the Jurassic Park DVD. I bought the DD version when it first came out before I had a DTS receiver. Is the DTS version of the DVD the same in terms of extras?

I was thinking of picking it up and I hope they corrected the DTS sound problems. If it does not have the same extras, then I will put both the DD and DTS versions in a 2 disc case.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't have any way to test the bass on my system, but the movie was far better than the Lost World. Of course, it wouldn't take much doing to best that turd, but this movie was kind of fun the one time I watched it. I do think they wisely "blew it" in one scene involving the phone, though:
Grant calls Ellie, and Ellie's kid answers. In the background, Barney is on the TV. Soon thereafter, the big dino swallows the phone. I guess the phone wasn't a speaker phone, but I was really expecting them to ignore that logic and have the dino approaching, sounding like he's singing, "I love you! You love me!" I really thought that's what they were doing, and I was saying, "Oh, no!" To be honest, I was actually kind of hoping they'd go for it. It would have been stupid, embarrassing, and fun. :D
To be honest, I don't think any of the movies have been that great. Even the first one was just passing fair. I think I've got both movies (never the second!), and I'd be more inclined to watch JPIII on the spur of the moment.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Lots o' bass on my setup with Toy Story II and JPIII - agree there's probably something amiss with the OP's setup. Liked JPIII much better than Lost World, if only because the crap went on for 30 minutes less :)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I might pick this up since it's cheap now. I could never rent it because all the video stores have ever had is the Fullscreen version.

If it's the opposite of JP1, I'll probably really like it.

JP was just a B movie with good effects (for the time anyway). The actual plot, characters, and acting were juvenille. Seriously, I consider it on or below par with most science fiction direct-to-video releases the stores rent. There was so much hype about it, and then the movie was kind of lame. A system that depends on electricity to keep in dinosaurs? Come on. And all the stupid little sub-plots. Yuck. The whole movie was just to sell toys and other merchandise.

I liked Lost World a little better if only because I liked the two main characters better. (Goldblum in a bigger role and Julianne Moore). Netflixed that one in college.

They were both kind of un-memorable for me. (Although I made fun of the girl and her shaking Jell-o for many years.) When I heard JP3 was more of an action movie I was inclined to see it, but it seemed pointless to rent a popcorn movie in Fullscreen.

Sounds like it has good A/V quality. For less than 10 bucks it might be worh it.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I will go on record as one who loved JPIII, and thought it was one hell of an apology for the mess that was "The Lost Script....er.....World". Speilberg should be stripped of his director title for that fiasco, not to mention the false advertising "Based on the Novel by Michael Crichton"....

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
As if the book was worthy of the pulp it was printed on. I think it just might be the single worst book I've ever read. Crichton theorizes that some of the dinosaurs died out from bad parental skills and he uses that to make a commentary on modern latchkey children and high divorce rates. Then you've got the magic chameleo-dino who can blend in with chain link fences and bite you before you know what happens.

The motorcycle chase was fun, though, and it was interesting to see Sarah Harding kill Dodson by pushing him out into the open so he can get eaten by the T-Rex.

Spielberg's Lost World was actually a step up from the book.

The crazy thing about the three JP movies -- the best scenes from all three are lifted from the very first JP book, which was a fantastic read.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The crazy thing about the three JP movies -- the best scenes from all three are lifted from the very first JP book, which was a fantastic read.
I assume for JP3 you were thinking of the birdcage? If so, I'll agree with you. I wasn't very interested in JP3 until I saw the film JP3 logo and noted that it had flying dinosaurs. This made me immediately excited by the film.

As for Lost World, I actually thought the best scene in the film was the part were the T-Rexes push the caravan off the cliff - and that was the only part of the second book that Spielberg retained for the film (and justifiably so - the rest of the book was awful, directionless and unmemorable).

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, if this wasn´t so impressive I think the next one will be with the collaboration between Sayles (Lone Star) and Spielberg. If it´s going to happen at all that is.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
JP III is fine if you want to see some Dinosaurs eating people and all. The thing that bothered me about it was some incredibly lazy writing. For example, Grant goes back to the island for the same reason he did in the first one, money. But the thing is, he lets some guy who he doesn't even know write him a blank check, they don't even bother the check the guy out to make sure he was not a fraud (which he was)

A character mentions that he uses T-Rex urine to repel some of the smaller dinosaurs. Grant asks him how he managed to procure T-Rex Urine. The kid replies, "You don't want to know" What is that? Did he get a golden shower from the T-Rex and that is why he gives that response?

Also, there is the mention of a subplot about Ingen that never materalizes.

I know the JP films are not masterfully written, but JP III seemed especially bad.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Well, if this wasn´t so impressive I think the next one will be with the collaboration between Sayles (Lone Star) and Spielberg. If it´s going to happen at all that is."

Last I heard, the idea was like "The Island of Dr. Hammond" in that someone uses the DNA technology to make hybrid dinosaurs, some so intelligent they have personalities and actual dialogue (for some reason this part of the idea reminds me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)

Sounds totally insane, I hope it is never made.

Let the franchise die.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks