What's new

Not Bashing just, venting about Warners (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, the only choice for Warner to make to please you would have been to rush out the titles without doing any work on them. I'm sure that re-using old transfers would go over well. But at least it would be out, right?

So what if they planned to put out 200 titles when they were planning in 2006? We know they've had a lot of trouble with the poor condition of the RKO and Monogram libraries they own, and it's not like 3-strip Technicolor films are easy to restore properly. Combined with the fiasco that the HD format war has become, is it really that surprising that they didn't get anniversary editions of Bonnie & Clyde or Cool Hand Luke out in 2007?

I'm let down that they are taking so long to put out more silents, but they have already said they need to do more work on them. I'd rather wait for proper DVDs than something rushed out so they can meet a rough figure they estimated a year ahead of schedule.

We know that they're working on this stuff, but not exactly when. So we have to wait a few more months or maybe even another year. Big deal. We had to wait 24 years from the first announcement of the Popeye cartoons on video (a never-released 6-short compilation VHS in 1983 by UA/CBS-Fox) to the actual release by WB.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
USA Today stated that Warner’s is unleashing 22 Frank Sinatra movies in five DVD collections. This is to be sometime in May in honor of Sinatra’s tenth anniversary of his death. I would have to guess that some of these films will be from the RKO library along with MGM’s. I would also guess some of the films will be reissues or re-mastered such as High Society and Robin and the 7 Hoods.

On another note for Sinatra fans, the article also said the MGM/Fox would be releasing Sergeants 3. I guess the rights issue has finally been solved on that one.

Along with the above, a slew of CD’s and a Turner Classic Movie special are also in the works for May.

I am guessing that this is the announcement from Warner’s. I will certainly look forward to formal announcement with titles.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Robert

It is interesting that even these people who are disagreeing are also adding that they too are waiting for certain titles. It seems that too many people on the board get their underwear in a wedgie when you say anything bad even if it is not bad about Warners. They are all getting defensive and really getting a bit snarky and rude because you say something that they disagree with. I really do not put people down because their opinion might be different from mine. Each post they stand by thei defense - mention titles they are waiting for and usually make a inane remark. Bottom line you can see everyone is still waiting for more classics. And if you do not believe my love of all that is classics ask Ron what I am trying to assist in and he will tell you.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Except that THE HELLSTROM CHRONICLE, a fine insect documentary that way-y precedes MICROCOSMOS, is a Columbia/Sony property, so you can just about forget about a domestic DVD. It won the Documentary Oscar in 1971 but, right along with other worthy films like WHO'S MINDING THE MINT and THE GORGON and GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM, it is being ignored by its parent company in favor of third or fourth DVD releases of more "popular" titles. Sony has no balls anymore. CAPTAIN NEMO was an MGM film, and so resides now with Fox. Perhaps you knew this already, which would explain the smiley's.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Warner is in control of the classic MGM library. Fox through Sony controls the "modern" MGM films plus the classic UA library.

Regards,

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
If what Crawdaddy is hinting at is true, I hope that QUO VADIS? is released on BD day and date with the regular DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks