What's new

Not Bashing just, venting about Warners (1 Viewer)

RobertGr

Second Unit
The sad thing is the malfunction people like you have Mark because someone disagrees with you. Read my original post and you will see that I support Warners but their classic release hype did not match their releases last year. Ken okay you counted another 7 releases that that made up the 3rd quarter and the 4th quater had less releases so again that is no where near the 200 plus titles mentioned for 2007! But Ken read my post where do I throw knives at Warners? I am just saying 2007 was a disappointing year for me re: Warners purchases.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Thank you Robert, you might be right and if Warners finally gets to blow the dust off of QUO VADIS I will be the first to pre-order the title! By the way I am a man of my word and I purchased Nancy Drew the minute is was annouced via DDD. So again the point is last year was a bit disappointing and to be honest their are many great films sitting in the vaults!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert,
The only thing I can tell you is that Warner is trying to please the classic film lover and that's more than I can say for many of the studios. So they didn't reach the 200 film mark, stuff happens, but they still released a lot more catalog films than any other studio. Furthermore, right now, they're the only studio that takes the time to actually do a chat with us about their upcoming releases. Next week, maybe your favorite two titles are not announced, but that isn't because Warner is not trying to do a good job in pleasing people such as you, me and everybody else on this forum.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Robert here is the quote - I believe Barrie Maxwell said it in Nov 2006 after Warners had some kind of press thing.

...I begin this column's section on new announcements with some comments that George Feltenstein, Senior Vice President of Theatrical Catalog Marketing for Warner Bros., kindly passed on to me. I've already mentioned above the hiatus in Bogart titles for 2007, but that will be more than compensated by Warners' plans to release 200 or so titles new to DVD this coming year. Although no specific titles were mentioned, classic enthusiasts can look for at least one collection and usually two each month. These will include all new-to-DVD titles except where a previously released title has been substantially upgraded in terms of master quality and supplements (such as was the case with The Maltese Falcon recently). In addition, there will be some repackagings of previously-released titles into box sets, but that will be distinct from the 200 or so new titles. There will be no sets issued that include a mixture of old and new releases. It sounds like Warner Bros. is already staking out best studio of the year status for 2007. Classic fans can only rejoice in the continued commitment!"

So what exactly did I say wrong? They clearly had other issues pop up because they did not release the product. Look at my post where did I say anything wrong, in fact I buy the product when they release it! But to me there are many other great films that could be released - How about another Gable Box with ACROSS THE WIDE MISSOURI I just say it on TCM and it is great little movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I stand by my comments and that's all I have to say on the matter. If you're not satisfied with Warner's efforts than I don't know what to tell you as I know several of us have been very pleased with their efforts.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, I'm still waiting on my John Garfield boxset and Twilight's Last Gleaming. Furthermore, we're not alone in waiting on some our favorite films to be released on dvd, I expect just about all of us share that same boat.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Thanks Robert - I am NOT bashing just saying c'mon where are the classic titles? And the argument that they do not sell, I guess 1 million sets of THE THIN MAN are pitiful numbers! No they are clearly very impressive. And I hold George F, and Ned Price in the highest esteem! But they can open the vaults a little wider! I would even go for a John Garfield box especially if it had a good print of the film where he is a boxer on the lamb and the dead end kids are in it too!

Mark VH

Second Unit

Dude, you're just wrong on this one.

If you truly "supported" Warners than you'd realize that there's an enormous give and take between just dumping everything in the vaults onto disc just to please folks like yourself and actually making money off of them. These things need to be packaged, marketed and issued so that the company can turn a profit - not an easy proposition when you're dealing, in most cases, with 50+-year-old films. These guys are clearly doing their best and yet you're sitting here whining (er - excuse me - "venting") 'cause the two movies that you want haven't yet been released (despite the flood of titles we're getting over the next four-five months, with more sure to follow).

I can't believe we're wasting all this time responding to this inanity.

RobertGr

Second Unit
Hey dud, if you feel it is wasting time to respond why are you responding? I feel fellow posters like CineKarne, TravisR, Ken, Robert Crawford are all adding posts that are informative on what is going on behind the scenes and why things take time. That is what the forum is all about sharing thoughts, ideas, expertise and opinions here here to all the amazing people here that make this board wonderful!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I really can't complain with Warner. Ok, some of our favorite titles remains unreleased, but come on, how many titles WB has in it catalog??? Thousands. They can't release everything at once.
Their efforts are clear and this year so far they have announced a lot of great stuff.
Ok, I agree that the last 3 months of 2007 were kind of poor in terms of releases when compared with the standard WB schedule, but something might have happened to justufy that.
They are a commercial company and so they have to get their profits. I was reallly afraid when the announces stopped for a while last year but I'm very glad whith the titles we are getting within the next months.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I give Warner Bros the award for continually releasing classic and sometimes very obscure films to DVD. They release a lot more than any other studio with Fox coming in a far second. I have supported their efforts by digging into my wallet and buying just about every set and collection they have released the past few years and will continue to do so. The announcements for 2008 for the Gangster Series, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis and Musicals from the Dream Factory have made me run for cover and trying to decide should I go without food or drink to get these (just kidding.)

All of that being said, I do wish I could read the announcements for Quo Vadis, How The West Was Won, Raintree County and Goodbye Mr. Chips (1969). I would love a box set of the Andy Hardy films, Jean Harlow and more Esther Williams and RKO Tarzan.

I believe that these titles are coming and will look forward to the expected announcements in the coming week. Thank you Warner Brothers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Geez, what more do you want, I already spelled it out for you guys. To what extent Warner is going to share with the general public, I have no idea so we just have to wait until they make their annoucement.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Another point to consider is Warner has been invested in releasing HD DVD and Bluray format releases. That could have had some effect over the sd dvd releases getting pushed or postponed and such.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I doubt it, there are probably different budgets for SD DVD versus HDM. I think it has more to do with a marketing strategy change that was finalized sometime last year in which Warner decided to shift some of those 2007 titles to this year's 85th Anniversary promotion.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Let me add my voice to the chorus of those perplexed by the original poster's "venting". He seems upset because Warners isn't releasing the titles HE wants fast enough. For some of us, Warners steady pace of releasing classic and catalog items on DVD each month remains the yardstick for all other studios to follow. I, for one, am not interested in the upcoming vol. 2 of gangsters nor was I interesed in The Jazz Singer among other classic product put out by Warners but hey, that's just me, I would never complain that Warners was sleeping on the job because they weren't releasing titles on MY wish list which is several long pages! No, Warners didn't quite make the 200 mark last year but by my calculations they got pretty damn close what with something like 180 titles ... so I'm not going to crucify them because they fell 20 short!

It's like complaining that the goose that's laying those golden eggs isn't doing it fast enough! It's not enough that those eggs are gold, we've become jaded and want the goose to crank those eggs out double time.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...It's more specifically like complaining that the goose that just established the world record for annual golden egg production should have done more. :)

Regards,

RobertGr

Second Unit
Thomas T - show me where I am crucifying Warners - if you go by the quote I posted from Barrie Maxwells great column of 2006 November Warners plans were not followed through on. And it might indeed be that they focused on HD and that might have affected their plans. My original post seems to be spot on that their announced hype fell short in reality and it is shown in the fact I made far fewer Warners purchases last year. And it is not because a few of my hoped for titles were not announced.

I have puirchased

Tough Guys Collection
Mickey - Judy Collection
Masters of Horror
Sgt York
The Two Fred and Ginger Boxes
The Flynns boxes
Busby Berekley 1
Bogart (war movies and Maltese Falcon)
As gifts I received THIN MAN BOX

As you can see some of them have been out for more than a year - where is the long talked about Andy Hardy set - that is why won't buy LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY indvidually. Where is the longgggggg talked about AN AMERICAN IN PARIS - where is the longggggg talked about Spencer Tracy box - he was one of the best if not best MGM actors and he has been neglected via the box treatment. So because I raise a very valid point I am crucifying them, hey we are told nothing is perfect so we can indeed raise a very valid point the hype did not meet the reality and wow who cares if it is 20 or 30 titles off the statement was true! And if by a miracle QUO Vadis is announced in the next two weeks (considering Easter is very early this year on March 23) I will not only pre-order the one copy I have been waiting for three years to order but I will by another and eat it!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For a little perspective, this thread kept tabs on the 'Warner 200' (and whether this meant only classics and didn't include re-releases, upgrades etc. is something only Barrie or Warners can answer) right up until early August of last year. The first post had a list of films released (only counting those made prior to 1970, note):

Not too dusty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You seem to be repeating yourself. You've made your point while many others disagree with that point. What else needs to be said that will change that disagreement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks