1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nice flat bright screen, blue patches not so nice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy M, Sep 15, 2001.

  1. Troy M

    Troy M New Member

    Sep 14, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I recently purchased a 28 inch philips flat screen (matchline) TV and after a week or 2 of watching it I realised that i had a 2-3 inch section running down the left hand side of the screen where anything that was white would have a definate blue tinge. This would still be apparent even with the color turned right down until the picture was black and white. After several weeks and a visit from a technician who waved his magic (de gaussing!) wand at it and told me it was fine, I managed to convince the store where I bought it to replace it. I've had the new set for a week now and instead of a 3 inch bar that does the above it is a patch in each bottom corner. The store won't let me exchange it for something else (I was going to try a Sony Wega)Is this just a side affect of producing a flat picture tube,or if not, does any one know what the problem is,the TV is nowhere near speakers or any other magnetic source that I can tell, and anyway it doesn't appear to be that kind of interference. Only white seems to be affected and the brighter the white, the bluer it goes.
  2. Nicole P

    Nicole P Well-Known Member

    Aug 31, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Hello Troy, welcome to the forum.
    I have noticed the same problem on my 28 inch set.
    The screen seems divided roughly into thirds. The centre is fine, the left side has a blue cast and the right side has a yellow cast. The cast intensifies if a bright image moves into that area. Whites and light skies are particularly problematic. I have contrast knocked down pretty low and that takes care of 70% of cases. The cast is still there though and the other 30% is annoying.
    At first I thought it was a problem with curved screens as I noticed it on several other brand sets in stores. However your message mentions a flat-screen. Hopefully someone more technical than I can explain this..?
    For the patches, have you tried swinging the set around on its axis? The polarity of electrical wiring in your room or even the earth itself can sometimes cause coloured patches. I get purple and green patches on my sets if I align them in a North-South direction.
    Nicole P.

    "So where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within."
  3. Michael Banks

    Michael Banks Active Member

    Aug 20, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Troy, this seems to me to be a purity problem. Tonight I fixed my Sony KV36XBR450. The lower left corner had a red tinge to it. After reading through the service manual, it said to use magnets to correct the problem.
    We popped the back off and loaded the Avia test disc to get a white screen. It took about an hour with small round magnets and some duct tape, and now a perfectly white screen. After that we rechecked the geometry and recalibrated. I didn't feel like waiting a month on a service call. I found out that this seems to be a common problem after talking to a technician.
    A service technician should be able to solve this problem relatively easily.
    Disclaimer: Don't try this at home, TV sets contain very high voltages internally. I don't want to lose a member. [​IMG]
    Cheaper than crack and a hell of a lot more addictive.
    My addiction

Share This Page