What's new

NFL 2011 Regular Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Colts not only lost their QB when Manning got hurt -- they also lost their offensive coordinator. I think this shows that Peyton is the most valuable player in the league. Any backup would be a huge dropoff. Mix in a declining defense, and you have the disaster that Indy has become. The only question is whether they can beat out the Dolphins in the battle for Luck.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
6 INTs between Boller and Palmer, hope the Raiders have a plan B.
I think it is a little nonsensical to read too much into Palmer's performance since he had a few days of practice before the game and has not played since last year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It was Palmers first game in 11 months. And he had no training camp, only 1 practice.. Boller, however, has no excuse, he's had full practice camp, time to train.. he just sucks. He's always sucked. If I was him, the moment I got the starting job the team immediately trades away a 1&2 to get someone to take it, I am thinking to myself: "Well, it's good the backup job pays well, I hope I have a post NFL plan" and again "you know, the perk is, since I'm not on the field much, my health should stay pretty good"

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
Did the Colts also lose their defensive coordinator?
I have no idea who their defensive coordinator is, but Freeney and Mathis are getting old, Bob Sanders is gone ( and could never stay healthy anyway), and the Colts cornerbacks are terrible. The Lions have come back down to earth, and now Stafford is banged up. I am not surprised by either development.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well we are almost at the half way point and I'll be the first to admit that it appears I was wrong about Cam Newton. Sure his stats are not great but they are serviceable which is far better then I said they would be when I basically said a team should not waste a first round pick on him. I'll also take a bow over the Jim Harbaugh comments I made last year. First I said there was zero chance he would pass up on the pros for a college position which was pretty obvious. (Sorry Big Blue fans) Second, I said with the 49ers he had a really good chance of making it to the playoffs in his first year. I think it is pretty safe to safe they are going to make the playoff and might even gather more wins than all the other West teams combined.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick, I got a chance to see Cam Newton for the first time playing in the NFL last weekend, and he does look like he belongs. I'll admit I was wrong about him, too. However, I still think Tim Tebow is not an NFL QB, though. He is the worst passer I've seen in the league in quite awhile. Harbaugh is doing a fine job in SF. Time will tell if he made the correct decision, though, as I am still not a believer in the front office of that organization. As for us Wolverine fans -- we are very happy with how everything worked out. Brady Hoke looks like a fine hiring for Michigan. He is a huge improvement over the coach who's name shall no longer be uttered in Ann Arbor.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have been very impressed with the 49ers thus far. They are an overtime field goal away from 6-0. It would not surprise me to see them make it to the NFC Championship game this year. I was confident that they would defeat Detroit, although they almost blew that game. I am really looking forward to the 49ers - Ravens game later this year, as well as the Lions - Packers Thanksgiving Day game. Both games should be a lot of fun to watch.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Steelers looked very impressive yesterday -- which has been rare when they face a Brady-led Patriots team. Mike Tomlin has done a great job working around some huge offensive line issues. I think these OL problems will ultimately be Pittsburgh's undoing this season, but it is impressive to see them even in the playoff hunt right now. Tim Tebow looked awful against the Lions. His mechanics are terrible, he hangs onto the ball too long, cannot read a defense, and is extremely inaccurate passing the ball. I wonder how many games like this the Broncos will endure before going back to Kyle Orton, who may not be a great QB, but at least looks like he belongs in the league?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
My favorite Tebow comment is from Deadspin's Drew Magary: "Every time Tim Tebow throws the ball, it looks like a fake punt."

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not that impressed by the Steelers win, at home they managed to score only 23 pts against the second to last defense in the league and while the Steelers D is ranked in the top 10 they allowed the Pats to stay in the game to the very end.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Wow the Chargers find a new and interesting way grab defeat out of the jaws of victory. KC is in first place!? I had them pegged for the gutter with Denver this year but here they are with a four game winning streak and first place.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That just shows how bad the AFC West is this year. Kansas City is not a good football team, yet they lead their division. I cannot believe that Norv Turner still has his job in San Diego.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I really don't think charger management cares much about winning. Why would they hire Turner in the first place? The team does worse every year and still he keeps his job. They've got 4 wins, but none of them against a good team.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I really can't blame Turner for last night’s loss; it's not as if he fumbled the snap. KC should win the next 2 but then lose the 2 after that since I don't see them beating Pit or the Pats. They could finish 10-6 since and win the West. I think it is kind of stupid scheduling that KC and San Diego are done playing each other already but that is the NFL for you. As for Oakland, watch this week as they make Tebow look good. Hopefully with two weeks of working out Palmer will play better since Darren McFadden is still not practicing.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
At least the AFC West is making it exciting! NFC West maybe wrapped up by Thanksgiving.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From the new PFT power rankings:
18. Chargers (No. 10; 4-3): If Philip Rivers ever gets a chance to lift the Lombardi, there’s now a good chance he’ll drop it.
:laugh:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
They've lost two in a row an have the Packers coming to town. Can you say "whupping" anyone? A fumbled snap by the QB when all you need is a chip shot field goal to win? You can say that's not the coach's fault, but there are two many things happening that shouldn't be. They should just fire his ass right now and write off the season. They don't look like so much of a lock to win the division now and there will be no wild card for the losers of this division.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks