What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New Warner multi-disc sets coming! (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Well, duh! There ya' go!

What exactly is WRONG with Warner & Peter Jackson trying to increase the exposure and sales of this classic?? The original KK is Jackson's favorite movie, and the one that inspired him to become a filmmaker. He is an expert on it, and I expect he jumped at the chance to talk about it on this DVD, knowing that his LotR noteriety might help boost sales.

In fact, I'll bet nothing would make Jackson happier than if every one of the millions who go to see his remake this December head to the store immediately after leaving the theater and purchase the new SE of the original.

And again I ask - what's wrong with that??

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't like Ben Hur (1959) either, but I don't feel the need to rubbbish it on a DVD thread. It still deserves a more faithful transfer than it currently has.

King Kong (1933) deserves a great 1-hour+ documentary and an truly insightful rapid-fire commentary. Has this been Warner's longest transfer process? I'm, expecting great things.

But where, oh where is the 2-disc of All the President's Men?

Warner are currently excelling themselves and it always great to see what the are working on.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

The 1925 film's budget was estimated at 3.9 million. In 1959 money, this would've been 6.6 million. The 1959 film's budget was estimated at 15 million, more than twice that of the 1925 film. I guess the 1959 film is the better film, then...?

DJ

david*mt

Second Unit
When can we expect these titles on HD-DVD? I really like Ben-Hur, but I don't want to buy it if an HD version is just around the corner.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
For Ron E: The feature-length doc on Merrian C. Cooper and the featurette on stop-motion wizardry indicate that this will be the '33 version, despite the heavy PJ involvement. Bear in mind, this says the special features will "include" these, not be limited to them. There probably hasn't even been a WB Two-Disc SE without a commentary (don't quote me on that), so I doubt Kong will be where they choose to start leaving them off. People should cool off until they see a final list. I also find it odd that people are assuming PJ knows nothing about the original King Kong. That's absurd. That's like saying Steve Sansweet knows nothing about Star Wars.

The Ben-Hur 4-Disc CE sounds beautiful. Can't wait to see the cover art and the little trailer they'll undoubtedly create especially for this release like what they did for the GWTW release.

And The Wizard of Oz? Sounds great, but this certainly was worthy of a 4-Disc CE as well. Even more so than Ben-Hur. However, since it wasn't a remake, I guess they just didn't have enough material to do four discs. Though something tells me that if they had tried hard enough, they could have come up with material. Three at least!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

With all due respect to Joe Caps, I don't see how we could ever have the original 6 track mix on home video. Nobody's home theater systems are set up to play pre-1975 six track mixes.

Home theatre systems are configured to the Dolby model(Left-Center-Right-Left Surround-Right Surround, Subwoofer). BEN-HUR, CAMELOT, and all 70mm films from the 1950s to the mid 1970s were originally configured to the Todd-AO model (Left-LeftCenter-Center-RightCenter-Right-Mono Surround). They HAVE to rebuild the tracks for modern systems or they wouldn't match speaker placement.

How would we ever have these original mixes on a 2005 dvd when they are not compatible with our current equipment?

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
I think what Joe was getting at, and im writing this from memory as to what he has said in the past, is that the sound remix on the dvd was not just a case of moving sounds from one speaker to another to convert the theatrical 6 track to the home 5.1 format, but they have played with the levels in such a way that it's not as effective an experience - ie there's less bass and less fidelity than the theatrical and subsequent laserdisc soundtrack.

Had they have just done a straight conversion, leaving the levels pretty much intact then he wouldn't have an issue with it.

Correct me if i'm wrong Joe!

M

GregK

Screenwriter

You are misunderstanding the issue with this title. Warner Brothers could have made a 5.1 mix by downmixing the original five front channels (L,CL,C,CR,R) and effects track (S) into a discrete 4.0 format (L,C,R,S). This downmix would still be a true representation of the audio mix which won an Academy award. Instead, WB ditched the original mix and had a completely new 5.1 mix made, including new sound effects, offset music cues, and added LFE. Instead of offering us two english 5.1 tracks (the original award winning mix and 'remix-x' made by who knows who) we only get the new remix and a French 5.1 track. If Warner's feel the audio needs an, er .."update", fine. Make it the default track. But failing to offer the original audio goes against what most of this forum stands for- original aspect ratios and original audio mixes.

Speaking of OAR, the current cropped mess is in need of a correct transfer, even if it's from a 2.55:1 35mm reduction print.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Warner really should be able to make a faithful 5.1 mix, adapting the 70mm 6-track mag mix.

The 5.1 mix on Around the World in 80 Days' DVD, another film originally with a 70mm 6-track mix, is much more of a 70mm-type mix... lots of directional sound, ultra-high fidelity, and plenty of separation in the music score.

So, whoever they got to work on 80 Days, they should assign Ben-Hur to.

As for Peter Jackson and King Kong.... The DVD is going to sell great, no matter what. However, releasing it right before the remake hits theaters will probaly get a lot of people who normally wouldn't be interested to look into the DVD. Jackson's involvement will help, too. I think that's important... the more people guided to a classic film, the better.

Besides, knowing Warner Bros, there's probably twice as much materials intended to go on these DVD's. A lot of people lashed out when an Arnold commentary didn't turn up on Collateral Damage, despite it being announced. So, the less Warner reveals this early, the less chance of people being let down if they can't include something.

Shane*M

Auditioning
I for one am looking forward to King Kong, Wizard of OZ, and Ben-Hur!! I wonder if WB is considering a release on HD DVD as well since they are debuting it in the fall?!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the replies guys. It makes perfect sense to me now. I didn't realize they had changed the mix so much and I did misunderstand the whole "original mix" idea. Thanks again!

ps and PLEASE don't tell Joe I even questioned him! :frowning:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Wasn't it rumored that KK would feature (at least) a third disc with SON OF KONG and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG? I believe there was also a rumor of a commentary being recorded but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I don't care about extras but I know many do so if Warner uses extras to promote the remake then this will be a very disappointing release. If a third disc of SON/YOUNG can't be included hopefully these will be released on their own.

I'll double up on BEN HUR as long as the original is included.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It does not make any sense to me for WB to use extras involving Jackson to promote another company's product. As long as the extras relate strictly to the 1933 version then I see no conflict of interest here.

I'll be glad to buy "Ben-Hur" again. I don't understand people who dislike it so much. I'll also rebuy Oz too.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Not exactly. The majority of 70mm releases of this era were actually mastered in 4-track (left-center-right-surround). During the sounding of the print , the left-center and right-center channels were "created" by combining the left+center and right+center tracks (and cutting the resultant volume increase). This was sometimes referred to as the "European method" or the "Columbia spread." So the masters of those 70mm films remain in 4-track, such as Camelot (if these tracks still exist). And this wasn't limited to just 35 to 70mm blow-ups, either. SOUND OF MUSIC was one of many 65mm originated films that used this "tricked-up" method.

Ben-Hur, however, was mastered in genuine 6-track.

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator

Are all 3 of them still alive? Wow, I had no idea. Although now that I think about it, I haven't heard anything about any of them passing on.

Ken New

Agent

Wasn't the 1925 'Ben-Hur' a remake of a 1907 version? It's disappointing that it was remade at all and right now we could be enjoying a DVD of the 1907 production. After all, it had nearly 100 extras and some beautiful painted backdrops. Do we really need all those so-called technical advances the movie industry keeps foisting upon us?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks