What's new

New U2 DVD on it's Way (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Word is that on Nov 18th Island/Universal will release "U2, Live from Slane" The complete 2nd show from Sept 1, 2001. No details as far as widescreen or audio but here is the set list

Main Set: Elevation, Beautiful Day, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, Out Of Control, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Wake Up Dead Man, Stuck In A Moment, Kite, Angel Of Harlem (full band), Desire, Staring At The Sun, All I Want is You, Where The Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Encore(s): Bullet The Blue Sky, With Or Without You, One, Walk On

I hope a 5:1 mix is in order.........

p.s Universal/Island.....let's get out Red Rocks, Zoo TV and POPmart on DVD

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i wish they would release the videos from their first best of compilation than other concert, though. :frowning:

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
i wish they would release the videos from their first best of compilation than other concert, though
I would like to see the Best of 80/90 DVD to include all the videos they made in those years not just the songs they put on the CD...Gloria,Celebration,Fire,Two Hearts....would be very welcome in my house :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul James

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the DVD's from U2 have been too few and far between for my liking :angry:

As an avid U2 fan I can't wait for this and future DVD's.

Paul

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
That sounds like a nice set list. I would consider getting it.....But I would be so happy just to have the full Red Rocks show on DVD. I love the old U2, and I would rather have them from the Red Rocks era on DVD, as opposed to a more recent show where they play a lot of that material.....

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Sounds like a good DVD. I hope it will be anamorphic widescreen. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Elevation DVD.
I'll add another vote to Live at Red Rocks. This needs a DVD treatment so badly. My VHS copy wore out years and years ago.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! CBS ran an edited version of this concert several months back. Bono's dad had just died so it was a very emotional show. At least on CBS, it was 4x3. Don't know if it was shot 16x9 HD like "Springsteen Live at MSG" or not. If not, I'd rather have 4x3 then a tilt and scan ala The "Freddie Mercury tribute Concert" which didn't look that good.

:) D

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Hey Y'all! CBS ran an edited version of this concert several months back. Bono's dad had just died so it was a very emotional show.
I must say I was impressed with Bono's singing ....especially "Streets" I'm very glad to see it released. I just pray for a "Kick-ass" 5:1 mix

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The DVD most likely will not be in anamorphic widescreen. I occasionally exchange emails with Dreamchaser, the Irish company that pretty much has done all of U2's video related stuff for the past decade or so.

"Live From Slane" was thrown together at the last minute; they had no intention of taping it until the first Slane show came off so well, and then the band decided they wanted to have a record of it. At first, the idea was just to make something for the band members. When part of the show was broadcast on TV, that literally was all of the footage that had been edited at that point - they didn't put together the whole concert and then decide not to show it all. I would imagine (and hope) that most, if not all, of the show would make it on to the DVD.

The concert itself was shot on a combination of DigiBETA, MiniDV, Super 16 film, and Super 35 film, according to Dreamchaser. None of the footage was recorded in high definition. It was not shot with the intention of being presented in widescreen. I had inquired about why the Elevation Boston release also was 4:3, and the response was that they felt the concert itself seemed better suited for 4:3 presentation instead of widescreen. As the Elevation DVD included a 5.1 mix, I would guess that this one would too.

Hope this helps.

Josh

ToddJ

Second Unit
did anyone at Dreamchaser say anything about previous concerts (Zoo TV, Popmart,) and the previous Best of 1980-1990 being released on DVD?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They would like to put together DVDs of PopMart and ZooTV, but there's nothing currently planned. It's up to the record label and the band to decide to do a reissue, and they haven't. I would suspect it's Universal's lack of enthusiasm that's keeping those shows from making it to DVD. It's one of those things I'm hoping for without holding my breath.

I wish Red Rocks would make it on to DVD too, though I have no idea who controls the rights to it. It was financed by U2 and some independent investors, and then shown on television before being released to video - and the original video release was done by RCA/Columbia, even though U2 is signed to Island. Island was bought up by Universal, the Red Rocks video is currently out of print, and I have no idea who owns it. It would be nice to have the concert, particularly the entire show, which has never been avaliable before. (The ZooTV home video omits one song that was included in the original broadcast, it would be cool if a future DVD restored the song. And, the original PopMart TV broadcast was better than the home video - they reedited the video release, and there are a number of spots where they've actually replaced good camerawork with inferior angles, or shots where the cameraperson is moving around, not actually shooting anything, so all you see is the ground. And for the home video, they've replaced the stage footage of the band performing the final song with a credit reel over wide shots of the whole stadium - wonder whose bright idea that was.)

Josh

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
i'm willing to bet that we'll get some of these new u2 dvds we crave around when the new album hits in early 2004.

BrianCC

Grip
I disagree about more DVDs in early '04. U2 are meticulous about not "doubling up" major releases, unless the products complement each other (like singles with albums, or soundtracks with a film). When I heard about the Slane DVD last week, it convinced me that the new record won't be out until next spring (some sites had been speculating about a holiday '03 release). When the new album comes out, I don't think there'll be any "old" products released that could water down sales of the new one.

Of course, as a fan, I'd buy anything I could get my hands on at any time. So even though the Slane show was directed by the same spastic guy who ruined my memories of the Boston shows with his scorn for proper focus and penchant for too-close close-ups on the Elevation DVD, I'll still grab Slane on release day. I'm a fan, it's my blessing AND my curse.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

If you're referring to the new album, nothing is confirmed other than that they've been writing and recording and do hope to have something out early next year. At one point, they did announce what producers they were working with (not Eno & Lanois) but I don't remember offhand.

As for DVD releases of the older videos, as I said in an earlier post, there's really nothing going on in that department. Of course the guys who produced the shows would love to get them out, but that's wishful thinking on their behalf at this point. I wonder what's going to happen with Red Rocks - U2 filmed it with investors financing the project, RCA/Columbia released it on video in the U.S., another company had the TV and video rights overseas, who knows who owns the current rights to it? ZooTV and PopMart are easier since those tapes were put out on U2's label.

What I'm curious about is whether or not the Slane DVD will be the full show (I'll have to ask next time I talk to the Dreamchaser guys). The Elevation DVD wasn't a complete show, the ZooTV video wasn't a complete show, the Red Rocks video wasn't a complete show... catching my drift? Especially since Slane was filmed with quite a few different media formats and wasn't initially intended for public release, who knows what we're going to get? When the TV special aired, I was told that they had only finished editing those songs - other parts of the show still needed work. I would be very surprised (but pleastantly so) if the release is of the entire concert, uncut.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Count me as someone who would rather have a nice, multi-disc boxed set of live material from U2--in the spirit of the Springsteen live boxed set--than a concert on DVD.

It's a crime that this band, arguably one of the greatest live acts in rock, has never had a proper live album release.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
This looks a "kick-ass" disc.....:emoji_thumbsup:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030916/nytu200_1.html
Press Release Source: Interscope

U2 Go Home: DVD Live From Slane Castle, Ireland
Tuesday September 16, 8:53 pm ET

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Filmed on the 1st September 2001, U2 Go Home is the first ever release to feature U2 playing to a home crowd in Ireland. Following an 80 date sell-out world tour, U2 headed home for two extraordinary outdoor shows at Slane Castle in Ireland, where the band played to a total of over 160,000 people. This homecoming concert will be released on DVD by Interscope Records on November 18th 2003.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-a http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-b http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030916/NYTU200-c )
U2 Go Home charts an emotional return for the band. In 1984 Slane Castle was the venue for the recording of their landmark fourth album, an event which was captured in The Unforgettable Fire documentary also available on this DVD re-mastered and re-graded for the first time. The Elevation shows also marked the 20th anniversary of the band's first appearance at Slane supporting another legendary Irish rock band Thin Lizzy at the inaugural Slane Castle Festival.

The DVD includes a bonus track, DVD ROM and special features that include: a U2 calendar, screensavers and weblinks plus three songs shot on 'Spincam' allowing the viewer an interactive, 360 degree view of the concert. U2 Go Home is presented in PCM Stereo, DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound Aspect ratio 16:9.

Tracklisting:
- Performance from Slane, 1st September
1. Elevation
2. Beautiful Day
3. Until The End Of The World
4. New Year's Day
5. Out Of Control
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. Wake Up Dead Man
8. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
9. Kite
10. Angel Of Harlem
11. Desire
12. Staring At The Sun
13. All I Want Is You
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. Bullet The Blue Sky
17. With Or Without You
18. One
19. Walk On
- The Unforgettable Fire documentary

Lets hope the U2 flood gates open up soon.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I really like the Boston DVD. I like how it's not totally slick, and how because the standard was not absolute perfection or nothing at all, you get to see some very interesting shots that you don't get on most DVDs. Out of all of the concert videos I've seen of shows I've been at (or of the same tour where shows were almost exactly the same night to night), for me, the U2 Boston DVD best replicates what it felt like to be there. It's not overly lit, and maintains the show's minimal use of lighting, and it captures a lot of the energy of being there.

For the actual concerts, they had four rear-projection video monitors above the stage, each with one band member on it. They had one camera that stayed on each band member, and there was no cutting. Just an enlargement of what was onstage. I loved this being there; the screens allowed me to see closeups of what I wanted to when I wanted to, and knowing it was always there with all four guys, I didn't have to stare at the screen the whole time. It wasn't a distraction, as it can be at many shows, by directing your eyes away from the stage. I also liked that for some songs they turned them off altogether, forcing you to look at what was happening onstage. Bono is a larger-than-life performer, and his gestures and movements combined with some very powerful lighting can travel a very far distance. As a bonus feature (since the second disc is pretty much useless), I wish they would have presented all four of these camera angles using the multi-angle feature.. just the exact same black and white feed used on the screens during the show. And perhaps a fifth angle showing all of the other four angles on split screen. On a dual layered DVD it still probably isn't possible to get five angles for a two hour show, but it would have been interesting to do for at least some of the songs. The DVD does feature a multi-angle segment with maybe an hour's worth of music that allows you to toggle between a wide angle of the stage and footage of the video crew in the control room directing the cameras. This would have been a great feature to include for one or two songs, but not for as long as they did. Can anyone really sit through over an hour of just listening to someone saying "Go, camera 2. Stand by 8. Go to 8. Stand by 4. Go to 4...."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks