What's new

New Nathan Fillion Series - Castle - Mystery Writer Turned Sleuth Coming To ABC! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Another fun episode with solid character interplay and humanity.

The little bit at the gun range where Beckett let her guard down with a smile was a nice touch (wouldn't be surprised if it was improvised and they let that take into the episode).

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I recognized the bad guy in the end as the robber from "Spider-Man" - the guy who stole Peter thought killed his Uncle Ben.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator
I find that I'm really enjoying this series quite a bit. I initially started watching because I was a fan of Nathan Fillion, but the whole show just kind of clicks for me. Hope it makes it to a 2nd season!

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Honestly, while this may not be the best cop show on my list (I'd give that to Life), I'm liking it a lot because once you ignore the crazy premise, the characters' interactions feel more real than most of what I've seen on TV.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Since that motor oil was fresh, it should have been clear instead of black. Artistic license, I gues.

Not the best episode, but not bad. I liked the card games. I don't watch cop shows normally, but this one is very entertaining. I don't look forward to it as much as I do the Unusuals, though. That and Lost have made Wednesdays very enjoyable.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My only problem with the show is that I always figure out the perpetrator within the first 15 minutes or so. The show religiously sticks to the least likely culprit, which makes it easy to see what's missing. As soon as they said the third eco-terrorist was vaporized in the blast in Monday's episode, for instance, I knew she had to be the murderer. But it's a damn enjoyable way to round out my Monday nights.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Wow. Hard to believe that it's already time for the season finale tonight. In fact, every single show I watch except for the Unusuals is ending this week.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That was a pretty good one, with the best parts being the family stuff and Castle's increasingly warm working relationship with Beckett (as usual). The cliffhanger, if you can call it that, was not enough to drive me crazy, but it does have me interested and looking forward to the hoped for return in the fall.

Always nice to see Robert Picardo.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i hope they filmed 2 endings, closure to the mother and the cliffhanger and got the go ahead to do the cliffhanger. otherwise that was kinda crappy

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm the opposite, which is why I said it didn't drive me that crazy. We know what Castle knows and what he was going to tell Beckett--that her mother was part of a pattern and not just a random act. With that, we're set up for season 2, but we can fill in the gaps if worse comes to worst and it isn't renewed. We can be fairly certain she'll forgive Castle for prying, probably after resetting her level of trust in him, or the show would be over. And, we can then assume they'll go on to solve the case eventually. I do wonder if they would have gotten more into her mother's case if they had had more than ten episodes to work with, or if it would have been held back for the finale even if they had had twenty-six.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Count me as someone who's hoping this returns as well, even if it's another short season (though I'd say 12-13 makes more sense than 10.)

Mary_P

Second Unit
I sure hope this returns too. I think the role is a perfect fit for Nathan Fillion, and I'm liking the various relationships -- with Beckett, his mother and his daughter -- a lot. The show is one of the few must-sees for me in the week. (I couldn't have said the same about "Drive," much as I loves me some Fillion.)

In an article linked from Whedonesque yesterday, Nathan says he'll learn on Friday whether the show is renewed or not. I'd expect it to hit Whedonesque shortly thereafter.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I really want this show to come back.
It's a great show to watch on Mondays.
I love the relationships with his mother and daughter as well, which I think
help make the show what it is.

Nathan Fillion really fits into this role well.

I'm not sure how well this would play out, but as a reason to keep Beckett and Castle working together longer. An idea that builds and leads into a season 2 cliffhanger, have Castle's daughter kidnapped/missing. Season 3 would be about finding her.
But again I'm not sure how well that idea sounds.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Agreed!

I was skeptical on the first episode of this show, but as it went on, I was won over by the great character interactions. This is top-notch writing that appears deceptively effortless. The crimes are a bit ho-hum, but in a complete departure from the endless flood of "procedurals" on TV today, they are not the core of each episode, but more of a piece of the puzzle. It's not heavy or profound, it's just fun and natural. Like a casual chat with good friends. Great fit for Nathan Fillion, for sure.

The season finale had some nice moments. Susan Sullivan's speech about how women feel attractive was so perfectly delivered, maybe my favorite moment of hers on the show. And Castle breaking out the Chris Walken impression then answering the phone was great as well. I'm looking forward to a second season (fingers crossed).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Add me to the list of folks that really like this show. It seems to have all of the important things in a good series. I really hope it gets another season. I think it has a good chance, but I have no clue as to what goes on in the minds of network executives.

The writing/dialog comes over as very natural to me. Nathan is perfect for this character. I would assume that the character was written specifically for him but I don't really know. If not, he sure makes it feel real.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
SEASON 2 IS A GO

CASTLE IS COMING BACK!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5d723b98bcf3f1

ABC renews 'Castle,' orders two 'Towns'--The Live Feed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks