What's new

New Indiana Jones SEs Coming? (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I remember that summer of 1981, back before Internet pre-hype could get us all worked up. I hadn't seen any ttrailers or anything regarding RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - in fact, I didn't even know it was being made or what it was when it hit the theatres.

All I knew walking into the theatre was what I could glean from the rather sparse poster:

I recognized Harrison Ford of course, and he was wearing this weird, old-fashioned hat. We could see a figure climing down a rope, there was a girl, and a snake. On the other side we had a truck and a man on a horse, and it all looked old-fashioned and sepia-colored like an ancient treasure map.

But the names of Ford, Spielberg, Lucas, and Williams were enough to get me to fork over the cash to enter the theatre and be entertained for a couple of hours by this "movie about a truck".

I wasn't disappointed in the least...

Regarding the featurette, yes, I do recall seeing it play on HBO - after the movie had become a hit in theatres - not before.

Harry

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Yes, I also remember that I saw it on HBO after the film was a hit.

I knew almost nothing about the film before I saw it. I knew that Harrison Ford was in it and I assumed the film was about Noah's Ark (can you imagine?! :laugh: ). Boy was I in for a surprise.

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Well, DVD Empire has the extras listed for the widescreen-only Indiana Jones SEs and they don't look so special (a separate box set collecting the three SEs will also be available):

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
- Raiders Of The Lost Ark: An Introduction
- Indiana Jones: An Appreciation
- Raiders: The Melting Face!
- Storyboard Sequence - The Well of Souls
- Galleries
- Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
- Web Link: Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures

TEMPLE OF DOOM
- Temple Of Doom: An Introduction
- The Creepy Crawlies
- Travel with Indy: Locations
- Storyboard Sequence - The Mine Cart Chase
- Galleries

THE LAST CRUSADE
- The Last Crusade: An Introduction
- Indy's Women: The American Film Institute Tribute
- Indy's Friends and Enemies
- Storyboard Sequence - The Opening Sequence
- Galleries

The good thing is that there's no repetition of material from the 2003 set, the bad news is that there doesn't seem to be that much or interesting bonus material. A desperate money grab by Paramount if there ever was one.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Ah, looks like I'll just be hanging onto my boxed set, then. Was curious about these, but I don't need LEGO featurettes, although the storyboard-deconstructions sound interesting.

Early on, I was wondering whether or not they'd be splitting up the feature-length Bouzereau documentary from the first set, but looks like not. And we can essentially figure that Indy IV will get its own set of bonus features...but preferably not more LEGO stuff.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know who would buy this. The old box set is great, it's been around for a few years & you can get it quite cheap, the cheapest I've seen it was £12!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What a lousy set of bonus features. Looks like I won't be parting with my 4 disc box set.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I could be interested in new editions but I certainly wouldn't buy them 4 months before the more-obvious 4-film box set could likely be made available.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The only thing I can think of is perhaps people who didn't want to buy the entire set of three the first time around. It's good that they're now going to be available separately, but yeah, this doesn't seem to be a double-dip worthy release in any way.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I wonder if any of those extras are extracted from the 4th disc of the original set, and just re-named?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Where the fark are all the extras which are from the Laserdiscs? I'd rather have those compared to dumbed down extras over any day of the week. Where's the 2-disc set for each film that all of us are wishing for? So we can keep both the 2003 release and the new one. What about a trivia subtitle track? Geez...

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
No deal for me. If they had included the documentary from the previous set plus these new extras at least I could have sold my 2003 set. Paramount doesn't seriously expect me to double dip for these bonus features ?!?
The only chance to get my attention would be a new improved transfer, but this is not likely to happen, isn't it?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

What extras from the laserdiscs? The only extra that was ever on any single release was the teaser for Temple of Doom.

Unless you mean the Making-Ofs that were included in Japanese box sets...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Nope, the current transfers are about as good as we're ever going to get (outside of the added resolution HD brings) for the Indy flicks.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
Still no deleted scenes? I would buy it just for those. We know they existed. I'm assuming that they must still exist. Sounds like this will be a rental, but the way double-dips go saying "its a rental" is probably a compliment since most you wouldn't even want to watch. And this is the first time they are individually available, so its not really a total double-dip; they could have gone the Star Wars route and put zero effort but its nice to see a tiny bit of value here.

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
I already own the 2003 box and I'm happy with it. I'll wait and get them,including #4 on BLU.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks