What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New Independence Day: Special Edition With DTS (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DavidAG

Auditioning
After e-mailing ezydvd I received a reply stating that the version on their site IS the new two disc special edition with the dts track and they were updating the site to this effect and will post more details as they get them. Good news all around I'd say... especially for the old wallet!
Anyone looking for the Japanese Ultimate Editions of various films could do worse than checking cdjapan.co.jp

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I emailed both Ezydvd and CDJAPAN about the specifications and both changed them. The japanese UE will be a digipack in a slipcase just like previous UE.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I saw a copy of the new R4 (PAL) Independence Day DVD a couple of days ago at a B&M and bought it as a spur-of-the-moment thing (there was a 15% off sale, so what the hell).

Talk about a disappointment. The transfer is worse than the R1 five star in just about every way. The real killers were sharpness and colour. Where the R1 looks consistently quite sharp, the R4 was very soft and colour was noticeably undersaturated (especially when switching back and forth from two players synched to each other). The R4's black level is also a little on the high side, meaning much more grain in dark scenes.

The DTS soundtrack is a mixed bag. The surround channels seem to be more forward and discrete than the R1 Dolby Digital track, but bass is better on the R1 disc (deeper and 'punchier'). I'd call it just about even, but when picture quality is added to the equation the R4 is a bad loser.

The R4 DVD was created in March 2004, one month short of four years after the R1's creation date (TS file dates), and the source print used for both was the same so this is quite a disappointment.

Adam

lakshmant

Agent
hi
i just got the r3 version from koreandvds.com the DTS track rocks really it sounds exactly as the way i heard it in DTS in the cinema sounds great over dolby .

the disc packing is bad as the case is pretty flimsy but the disc is held properly .video is good .

i double dipped on this and was a totally worth purchase.

enjoy the DTS track

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
I have the Region 3 edition with DTS and the transfer is a major disappointment. Very soft and colors are muted. Not near as good as the original Region 1 release. Save your money folks!!

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched my Region 2 disc from Japan. The transfer was fine and the DTS track was great.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Moz

Agent
Had about the same experience with my R2 japan INDEPENDENCE DAY... thunderous DTS sound and wonderful image !
Fox Japan, yeah, this guys kill !
Buy the japan version !!!

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
As far as I know it´s no difference between the japanese edition and other regions. There should be no different transfer or sound mix. It´s just the packing that´s nicer. So I don´t see he point in buying the much more expensive japanese edition rather than a cheaper region.

Moz

Agent
Peter,

I'm sorry but it seems that R4, R3 and R2 UK versions are not that good with the image and the sound doesn't seem to please everyone too (except for R3) !
As far as i know, the R2 japan as a very nice image and a stunning DTS sound !
You may buy the version you want, but i tell you this one is the "good" one :)
Fox Japan is doing a great job, and their ULTIMATE COLLECTION is unique around the world ! So how can you tell it's the same for all Fox units ?
I tell you these guy take greater care of the image and the sound than the others !!!

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, I own both The Terminator and Aliens on R2JAP UE. The Terminator has the exact same transfer as the R1 SE, and Aliens also has the same transfer as the R1 Quad edition, although it has a DTS track. The Japanese UE editions often have the same transfer, but the difference is that they always have a DTS track. So most of the time it´s no difference between the UE and other editions, except for the packing. And I could buy the UE just for the lovely packing, if the price wasn´t so heavy.

My point is that you think that the transfer of the Japanese edition is great and another person thinks that the transfer of the R3 edition is bad. Not a very scientific comparison. But you could always ask CDJAPAN if the R2JAP UE has a different transfer, and they will find out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks