1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Adventures of Superman: Filmation - Any News?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ZackR, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ZackR

ZackR Well-Known Member

I am curious if anyone has any info on the New Adventures of Superman, the animated series from Filmation. Some info here .

I used to watch it all the time as a kid. With Warner's big Year of Superman, I thought maybe we'd see it since we are seeing so much else getting released this year, I was hoping it would be on the list. Does anybody know who actually owns the Filmation Superman cartoons?

Thanks for any info!

2. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Warner has access to the Filmation cartoons, since during the 1980's there were VHS releases of some of the Filmation segments. One of them I clearly remember was a 60-minute compilation of Superman segments, and they also did a VHS compilation of Superboy segments as well. So they may have the rights to all of the Filmation segments - clarifications, anyone?

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing the 1980's Ruby-Spears animated Superman series released on DVD in a complete set. They only did 13 segments of that series, with a main Superman segment and a Smallville-based "young Superman" segment afterwards. It was cool because they incorporated a number of elements from different incarnations, including John Williams' main title theme from the first film.

3. ZackR

ZackR Well-Known Member

I had one of those VHS Superman tapes when I was a kid. Actually, I rented it from our local mom-and-pop video store so frequently that the guy finally just gave it to me!! What a guy. [​IMG] I have the complete set of Superman cartoons, but it is, umm, unauthorized and appears to be sourced from broadcasts in the last couple years. I would love to get a real set from WB or whomever owns it.

I have loved Superman since I was old enough to watch movies/tv. With this being the "Year of Superman," I will have plenty to watch, but it would be great to get an official release of these cartoons!

4. ZackR

ZackR Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'd be all over the Ruby-Spears cartoons. I have never seen them.

5. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

Count me in on the 80's Ruby-Spears cartoons. I have them on vhs. But, the quality is ehh.

6. Claude North

Claude North Well-Known Member

Count me in for all the Filmation DC super hero cartoons.