What's new

Need help with surround (1 Viewer)

Flanker

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi,

I am new to forum and looking for suggestions for the surround L/R and rear L/R for a 7.1 system.

My current set-up is:

Room size: 14'x20' with TV on the 14' wall and couch at about 10-11ft away.

TV: Samsung PN58C680 Plasma 3D

Reciever: Onkyo HT-R530

Center: Klipsch Synergy SLX (I use one as my center, but I actually have two since they used to be my L/R speakers before I got my sony's)

front L/R: Sony SS-F7000 towers

Current sourround: Onkyo SKB-530's - these came with the reciever (theater in a box)

Sub: Onkyo SK-W-530 - also came with reciever (theater in a box)

I know this is a mishmash of brands etc., but it was put together simply based on funds and availability - it was not all purchased together.

My question is - I am looking to replace the Onkyo surround speakers - they are boxy and will not mount in the areas I would need (above french doors etc). I am looking for good, inexpensive surrounds for a 7.1 system that will provide good surround sound for Blu-Rays as well as good sound for all channel music. I need them to mount on the wall between the top of a french doorway and the ceiling - which is about an 11" space. Any suggestions? I really would not want to spend over $100/speaker. I would have gone with Sony if they made a surround to compliment the SS-F7000's, but I can't find any. If I cant use the same brand, what should I go with?

Thanks for your help!

Flanker

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
One option for me would be to purchase the Sony SSCN5000 center channel, which would give me all sony up front. Then use my 2 Klipsch Synergy SLX's as sides and keep 2 of the Onkyo surround SKB-530's for the back speakers. In order to do this, I would need to mount the SLX's horizontally on the sides...do you think this would effect surround effects since the speakers are about 25" long?

Or I could keep the fronts as is and purchase 4 surrounds...thoughts?

Also, any opinions on if I will be taking a step down in quality on the center channel if I swicth from the SLX to the Sony SSCN5000?

Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Using the three Sony's in the front is probably the best option. The front three need to be a close to each other as possible. Mounting the SLX's sideways shouldn't be a problem since they are being used for surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks