What's new

need help setting up my Sony STR-DG520 for / xbox360 / PS3 / Samsung LN40A650. with pictures. (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The big thing to start with, is that the optical output on the tv is for getting 5.1 surround from your local HD channels, via the built-in tuner, when using an antenna........ONLY. It is not for a daisy chain connection like you have it set up for. The tvs that will even pass audio that way at all, will downmix the 5.1 signal to 2.0, and send to the receiver that way. So, with that connection type, the best you can hope for is Dolby Pro Logic II (simulated surround).

With your receiver, you'll need to run optical or digital coax cable from each of the sources, to the receiver for audio. Not to the tv. Use the DVD input for the ps3, and of course the CBL/SAT input for the cable box. You may need to assign whatever digital input you use, to the Xbox 360. The owner's manual will tell you how.
Since your receiver is an HDMI "pass through" receiver, I'd run HDMI from ps3 and 360 to the receiver, then from the receiver to the tv for video. You'll still need to run optical or digital coax to the receiver for the audio though. This will allow for easier switching.

Since your receiver only has two HDMI inputs, I'd run a set of component cables (color coded red, blue, and green), from the cable box to the receiver, then a set of component cables from the receiver to the tv. Since tv doesn't broadcast in 1080p, the component cables will be just fine for your HD channels.

I'm not familiar with the ps3 and it's settings, so I'll let someone else answer those questions.
Good luck!

AgingEpic340

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thank you for the info.
i didnt know that about my tv, the down mixing.

i dont have the option to use a coax or toslink for my 360 yet. ill have to stop by the mall and pick up xbox's component cable because it is the only way to have the option for a optical out.my other option for digital out of the 360 is hmdi but since my receiver only supports hdmi pass through its just going to get down mixed when it leaves the tv to go back to the receiver. why they didnt make a dedicated toslink out port, i dont know.

the ps3 on the other hand does have a dedicated optical out port. so i did what you told me.

i started with my ps3

ps3 out via toslink to the optical BD (bluray disk) in port.

i have clear crisp video and i have sound but,

when navigating the ps3 main menu it seems that the digital signal comes and goes according to when the ps3 produces sound.
what i mean is when i press left or right to navigate the ps3 main menu there is a small chime. its an ascetics thing. the display on my receiver will light up telling me sound is now being sent to speaker. when the sound has stopped the display will show me that no sound is being sent to any speakers. this is fine. my problem is that in between sending and not sending sound to the receiver there is a popping sound.

i really cant speak about this in an intelligent way sorry.

a better example is when i have the cable box hooked up via toslink. when switching channels in between the time it takes to go from one channel to the other i get the popping sound too. not every time though and the display on the receiver does what i said before. it tells me sound is going to the receiver when i have it on a channel and when i change the channel for a split second it says no sound is going to the receiver. when i stop on a channel the sound returns but with a terrible pop or crack.

any idea what can be done?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Sorry, I have no idea about the popping noise. I know it shouldn't do that though. I'd say something is wrong, somewhere.

ps3 out via toslink to the optical BD (bluray disk) in port.
I'm guessing you have an HTIB (home theater in a box) with a built-in BD player? Because standalone BD players don't have toslink inputs. The ps3 plays blu ray movies better than most HTIBs. You might consider getting a real receiver that decodes HD audio. See this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR507-5-1-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B001VEI290/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1262202836&sr=1-5 Right now it's $298.72, and can't be beat for that price. Just a suggestion............You'd be much happier in the long run.

AgingEpic340

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
no its not a htib but it was the cheapest receiver best buy had at the time. i found this going to give it a try.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Duh.......to me!
I just noticed in the thread title it said Sony STR-DG520. My mistake.
Does the receiver have separate DVD inputs, or just the BD input? If there's a dvd input, try connecting to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks