1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help calibrating...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MarcWi, Jul 3, 2003.

1. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

I finally got a level meter (Theya re on sale at RS this week!) Anyway, Im using the ovation disc form best buy, and heres my dilema: Calibrating dolby, DTs, or the receiver (Pioneers VSX-D811s) all give me different settings. I don't know which to go by! Any advice here....

Thanks...

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

3. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Thank you and I had read that. However, using the method it recommends, I find the settings are different depending on which test I use. Which is the one to go by? In other words, if I calibrate to DTS, it is off for Dolby. If I calibrate to Dolby, the other is off. Lilewise for the systems own test tone genrator.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

When you say off what do you mean by off. I use the Sound & Vision one and for DD my receiver volume is set at -27 and DTS -32. All speakers settings end up being the same for both DD/DTS.
    Don't worry about using the Receivers test tone. Use the disc...it is more accurate for DD/DTS then the onboard test tones.

Any questions let us know.

DTS movies are about 4db higher than DD movies..

5. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Maybe Im crazy or doing something wrong, but to me it seems that the speakers volume relative to each other is different depending on which test I do.

6. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Further testing leads me to find that on DTS the rears are louder thatn on dolby....

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. MarcWi

MarcWi Agent

Thaks for the advice!