What's new

My Emperor's New Groove may have just died! (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I just pulled out my copy of Disney's The Emperor's New Groove 2 disc set to watch the movie again (2nd time on DVD) on my new Pioneer 563A and it refused to play any part of the second layer! It would freeze and sometimes lock up at the layer change. This same behavior would happen when I tried accessing any chapter located on the second layer, but worked fine with anything on the first layer.

First I thought it was a compatibility problem (my Toshiba SD-1200 player had played it with no problems the first time I watched it), then I popped it into my DVD-Rom drive and it played the second layer, but with numerous hiccups.

Has anyone experienced laser rot on this particular title before?

I don't know if I could get a replacement or not since it was more than a year ago when I bought it.

Drat it! This was my second favorite animated comedy Disney flick next to Aladdin!

Dan

Luis A

Second Unit
Dan, I would say it's the player that has the problem, not the disc. I don't know how many Pioneer's we had returned b/c of similar problems, but honestly it happens with every player. Anyway, if you want confirmation try taking the disc down to the place you bought it from, and playing it on their demo, or try a freinds copy of the DVD on your player.:)

Miles

Second Unit
Hey Dan,

I'll try this later today as I have the same title and player.

Miles

Ed O

Agent
This happened to my single disc version. The disc had a milky /cloudy look to it. It wasn't a player problem. I was able to exchange it for a replacement.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The only disc I've ever had go bad was The Emperor's New Grove. I found out well after I threw away the receipt, so I didn't try anything to get a replacement. It was easier to just cough up another $15.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the help so far! I will check it on another player.

Miles, I would love to hear what you find out.

Dan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Disney has a great exchange policy. You can "register" your Disney DVDs with them on their website and then get free replacements if a disc ever goes bad.

Most new Disney DVDs have a "register this DVD" link on the menu with instructions...and you can register *all* your Disney DVDs...not just those that advertise the feature.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I just bought this player today at Best Buy. I'll have to test Groove. I hope it's the disc and not the player.

If it is the player, would Pioneer likely provide a flashbios CD?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I don't have access to my Ultimate Groove set at the moment, but from memory the layer change occurs just after Kronk suddenly wakes up in the middle of the night and has his revelation that he knows where he first saw John Goodman's character, and just before he throws open Ertha Kitt's tent to give her the news.

I think it's somewhere in Chapter 20-something.

Dan

Miles

Second Unit
Hey Dan,

I checked my copy of ENG 2-disc on my 563 and had no problems accessing all the chapters... Perhaps there's a physical flaw with the disc?

Miles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks