What's new

Movies that will push you over the edge... (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jeff Durboow
If both these formats were offering the same movies and your top ten favorites were coming out next week and you just haven't jumped the fence yet cause you think one or the other would win.. what format would you choose??

I feel strongly that the movies are a significant incentive to make a choice right now but if both were offering the same movies...

Which format would you choose based on the other issues????

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If my 10 favourite films were coming out on both formats the I would wait. One of the formats is still in ints infancy with big potential to improve and I would not want to buy until that pans out. As it stands now, more of my favourite films will be available on one of the formats and not the other, studio support staying as it is. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1. PQ
2. SQ
3. Price
4. Availability of other titles
5. Anything butt Sony (sorry, had to throw that in there. And, yeah, I "know" BD is not Sony & Sony is not BD. Right! Oh no, sorry again, just had to throw that in there as well!!! ;-) )

Man, I hope both formats has "everyone's" Top Ten, soon!
Man, I hope HD discs makes it ALL happen, soon!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
even if my fav movies came out i still wouldn't jump into it because the players are not very desirable for the $ benefit they provide.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that at this point, price is the obstacle more than anything else. And I mean that in regards to Bd as I already own and enjoy my HD DVD player. However, while the price has to be right, I sure as hell won't be jumping into Bd if the quality of the software is still hovering at the levels of the first Lionsgate and Sony and MGM releases.

The Professionals will be the first Bd exclusive disc that could make me seriously consider getting a bd player at some point.
Alien (not the directors cut!) would be another. as would
Jean DeFlorette
Manon Of The Spring
Cyrano DeBergerac
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (78)
Who'll Stop The Rain
Phantom Of The Paradise
The James Bond series
The Deep
The Great Escape
The Apartment
Oklahoma
Sound Of Music
Planet Of The Apes (original)
Petyon Place

these would all hasten my purchase- but again, only if the quality were there. Just being released is no comfort whatsoever if the A/V Q is lacking. Actually its worse as a proper remaster would then be several more years off.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If both formats were offering the same films, I would stick with HD DVD. It's already delivering all I want from an HD format.

Now, if Disney plays hardball and brings out Narnia or Pirates on BD... I would buy a player so fast MY head would spin.

Brad HP

Agent
I think many of us already own our 10, 100 even 1,000 favorite movies in an acceptable format (DVD). That being said, I have decided to support HD DVD as the Picture and Sound quality is excellent (and the price is so much more reasonable than the other format). I also don't feel limited from watching many of my favorite movies as I can just turn to my library (at no extra cost). If studios don't want to sell me their titles again in HD I can live with that. Especially since I know they can't live with that. I will wait until they come to me. In the meantime I am not really missing anything. I have a tremendous SD and HD DVD collection making me very happy.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I'm of exactly the same mind, Brad.
I'm just tickled when I go thru my collection at this point- so many small, low profile catalog titles I'm thrilled to have at last, as well as all of the major 'big' favorites.
In fact the majority of titles I listed in my previous post I would be happy to have simply in decent sd versions. If I get a new 16:9 display this year, a lot of those non anamorphic dvds will be near unwatchable now. I'd take a watchable copy any way I could get it. Hell, I'm thrilled with the recent sd Fox upgrades like Towering Inferno and Planet Of The Apes- It was just enough to finally be able to replace those weak non-anamorphic early discs, so I won't be pining away for a Bd version anytime soon.

I'm happy with HD DVD, but mostly I view it as a 'treat' rather than the meat and potatos. Thats probably the way it'll be for some time.

Manus

Second Unit
Excellent post , Brad. Hits the nail right on the head. As one who lives in a Region Free world , Ive assembled a nice collection which makes me very happy.HD Dvd seems to provide what I would like ie. even better sound and picture for my ABSOLUTE favourites , should they become available but even if they dont at least I wont have to do without !

Nor do I want 50 or 100 gbs of extra extras , great PQ and AQ are more important to me.Nor will I believe the dreaded Sony's word when they inevitably start chanting about how many PS3s there are in homes. It wont mean the owners are all watching Bluray.........

~M~

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if costs were no object, i would like to believe that ever HT enthusiast would want 1080p front projector if they have the room or 60 to 100" HDTV, HDMI 1.3 AVR's, HDMI 1.3 Multiformat Media Players before considering 1080p HD format itself =). having 1080p format and not having a larger screen and components to take full advantage of it is like driving a porsche within city limits only.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Movies that would push me over the edge on Bluray:

These titles need to be VC-1 encoded ! ! !

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Cure Of The Black Pearl
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Star Wars 1 - 3 Original Release
Star Wars 2: Attack Of The Clones
Star Wars 3: Revenge Of The Sith
Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring EE
Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers EE
Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King EE
Gladiator (2000)
Crimson Tide
Harry Potter: Goblet Of Fire
Battlestar Galactica (Revised Version)
Saving Private Ryan
Open Range
The Hunt For Red October
X-Men Trilogy
Stargate
Tombstone
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Star Trek
Hannibal

I have allready took the plunge and purchased a Toshiba HD-A1 and am currently buying HD titles in that format. Even though I still feel that Bluray is the way to go and offers more flexability for future longevity of the format. It looks like VC-1 will soon be available for Bluray releases and I hope that means and end to mpeg2 encoded hd discs. I would also want to see newer audio codex's like DTS-HD and Dolby True HD being used and on more than just a few titles.

These are features that would also help push me over the edge to make Bluray my primary HD format:
  • Built in Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HD decoder
  • VC-1 only encoded HD discs (Bluray)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD encoded Bluray discs
My goal is to eventually own a 1080p projector with a 120" Stewert Film Screen. My Altec A-7's should look awsum next to a 120" screen :laugh:

My HT is going through a upgrade period to bring it up to HD capability and to include new surround formats. And I am looking to just upgrade the quality of some other components to enhance my HT exsperience.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I currently do not have HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (yet) but some movies that would push me over the edge into buying either format right now would be:

Moulin Rouge!
Chicago
RENT
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Fight Club
American Beauty

If even just ONE of those titles were released tomorrow, I'd buy the player today in order to have it ready for tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks