1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monty Python's 'Life of Brian' on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by ppltd, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ppltd

ppltd Well-Known Member

Another must have for me.

2. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

Excellent.

"Follow the gourd"!

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

"Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly!"

Looks like a must have release (though I'm sure someone will find something about this to whine about). [​IMG] I'm happy to retire my Criterion, the PQ looks like ass.

Full specs:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._(UPDATED)/901

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    I saw it in its theatrical rerelease, and it looked pretty grimy there too. That look isn't my cup of tea, but perhaps that's what the directors wanted?

Will we also be getting Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

5. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Well-Known Member

Paul Hillenbrand
    Picture quality of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" (Blu-ray)?
    Link

Paul

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Hopefully Lowry/DTS won't meddle with the colors and white levels the way they did on the Disney and 007 projects they were handed.

7. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Well-Known Member

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It looks like the prices on the BD are only going to be a few dollars more than the SD version.

For example: Amazon.com: SD-$16.99 BD-$19.95 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Gregory Pauswinski

I bought it in one of the amazon buy-one-get-one-free sales, so I only paid about $10. [​IMG]

10. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Well-Known Member

Me too, except it was less than $8. [​IMG] Man, I miss the BOGOs and 10% discount already.

11. andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy Well-Known Member

Got it (it's been out in Region B for some time). Picture and sound are both fine, but not top notch demonstration quality (but who on earth would buy this movie as a demo disc anyway?). It easily beats the best SD version, and the extras are more than enough to satisfy anyone. The real gem is an audio-only recording of the original read-through of the script that the Pythons did prior to shooting the film, with pictures of the script accompanying it. [EDIT] Plus, there's a great new documentary that IMHO is a lot better than the documentary included in the Criterion release.

Is it worth buying? If you're a very casual fan and you already have the Criterion SD, then probably not. However, if you have any warmer liking of Python, then I'd say this is a no-brainer. FWIW, I'm not a particularly strong Python fan and I haven't regretted buying it.

12. Gregory Pauswinski

13. andrew markworthy

It contains a brand new documentary instead. I personally thought it far better because it gave a lot more insight into the battle it took to get the movie made, the various protests and objections when it came out, etc. Plus, it contains a moment of Brit cultural history - the confrontation on a Brit TV programme between an Anglican bishop and a well known Brit religious commentator called Malcolm Muggeridge (loved by some and loathed by a great many more Brits) and Messrs Palin and Cleese. The Pythons won hands down because they were dignified and rational whilst the bishop and Muggeridge were patronising and childish. The incident promoted a lot of comment at the time in the UK. You also get details of the Brit towns that banned The Life of Brian. There's a wonderful piece of archive footage of one town councellor (i.e. local politician) who admitted he hadn't seen the film before he'd voted for banning it. The documentary on the Criterion was made contemporaneously with the film for the BBC, and lacks a lot of the insights that hindsight can bring, and of course contains very little detail on the behind the scenes fights and problems that were taking place.

14. EricKA

EricKA Well-Known Member

Andrew,
    On the Sony blu-ray release, did it have the original Orion or WB logo at the start of the film? Orion/WB originally released the film in the US in 1979? If not, what logo was there at the start of the film? Just curious.
    Thanks,
    ERICKA

15. Asahikasei

Asahikasei Active Member

Good to see this will be a must buy.

16. andrew markworthy

Didn't see any logo - went straight to the first scene of a starry sky (I thought it was going to turn into the Orion logo, but it didn't).

17. Seppo

Seppo Well-Known Member

Seppo
    In my opinion the picture quality is simply fabulous on the Blu-ray release.

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Well-Known Member

Rachael Bellomy
    I've had the U.K. BD since it came out. I'm real impressed with the image. The several really weak scenes stille look weak but overall the image is considerably better than the Criterion DVD. I concur with Andrew that the new documentary is very good.

The only thing that leaves me curious is that everything is on one BD in the U.K. and two discs here in Estados Unidos.

19. Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand Well-Known Member

Paul Hillenbrand
    Just received the Blu-ray from Amazon.com and the invoice reads "Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Two - Disc Collector's Edition...", but there is only ONE disc in the case and no mention of a second disc on the cover.[​IMG]

Edit: The Title on the case-cover reads: "Monty Python's Life of Brian: The Immaculate Edition".

[​IMG]

Paul

20. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    Does "Immaculate" = (or suggest) the use of DNR on 'roids? [​IMG] [​IMG] J/K of course. [​IMG]

Now I kinda wish I had ordered it during the last BOGO sales on Amazon. [​IMG]

_Man_