What's new

Monitor Audio S2, Axiom M3, Paradigm Mini Monitor or Studio 20 (1 Viewer)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Very interesting thread,

I was very interested in the Monitor speakers a while back when I was looking for a new system. I found a local store that carried the MA Bronze, so I lugged my Axiom M22's down on a saturday. Lucky for me, there was another customer there who had brought his Paradigm studio 20's. They also had there Castle, Triangle, Epos and another bookshelf that's name is escaping me right now.
First of all, all speakers were run by NAD equipment, with no subwoofer.
The Axiom's held there own and did well. The owner of the store almost walked out of the listening room when he found out I actually purchased speakers from an online company. The Paradigm's were very nice speakers, but I as well, found the vocals somewhat recessed, and they were sensitive to placement. That is fine, but for my room, I dont think they would work, and I prefer more forward and very present and realistic vocals. The MA were very nice as well, stunning vocals. The Epos ELS3 were very nice, big soundstage for a small speaker, great vocals, but the mids seemed a little "laid back", which the owner described as the "british sound".
The owner was convinced the differences were huge,
but for myself and the other two customers that spent half the day there, the difference were there, but they were not so big.
So I left the store thinking that the Axiom's were a very good bargain and a very good speaker. However, I put them up for sale online as soon as I got home. The Triangle Titus were a much better overall speaker to me. Very fast and open, and they throw an amazing soundstage with pinpoint imaging. The vocals are almost haunting. I got a pair for $400. I think they are an amazing deal, and have loved them for the past year.
However, I am now thinking of hearing some more speakers,
The Monitor Gold Ref. 10's as well as some others.
I have heard the Ascend 170's briefly and would love to hear the 340's

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel

Sorry for the delayed response... I had been down with flu most of last week and up to early this week.

I feel somewhat better now and I'm actually back at work!

I did get the chance to do the shootout... and quite honestly... I'm still deciding which one I like more.

The thing is... on a lot of music.. they sound very much alike. only on a few ones can you tell the difference.
So I grabbed my wife and let her listen to them (speaker A & B) without knowing which one is A and which one is B.

Me and my wife agree that the silvers:
  • silvers has a "cleaner" sound. I don't exactly know how to descibe this but I think it's also because it is more mellow than the B2.
  • less "bright" than the bronze... if its bright at all. i would think that some people might actually feel it to be on the warmer side. I am beginning to think that actually.
  • we did not find any sibilance on any of the music we tried that showed sibiliance on the Bronze.

We did not agree on:
  • imaging: she feels the S2 has more depth and that the B2s are all forward.. but also acknowledged that it might be due to the vocals being more forward in the B2s.
    I on the otherhand do not feel that the S2 has more depth than the B2.. but I feel that the B2 has a wider image than the S2.
  • harshness: she thinks that the B2s are harsh enough to be fatiguing... I dont, instead I think the S2s are more mellow and that they are only slightly less "lively" than the B2. I noticed this when listening to classical & orchestral music..you know.. cymbals, xylophones, etc.. is softer in the S2 and more audible in the B2.

S2 pros: better finish (real wood veneer), 3 finishes, cleaner sound, probably less fatiguing if any of the two is fatiguing at all
S2 cons: I am having a struggle justifying it's price vs the bronze. if it's $150~200 less then i'd surely go for it, no doubt. I really like the wood veneer and the color of the S2 (warm beech or the rose mahogany). but once you start building the whole system (side surrounds, back surrounds, center), it'll cost around double the price for the same Bronze series setup. ($2600+ vs. 1400 7-spkr setup).

If I were to recommend (other than go and have a listen for yourself): Between the two, go for the bronze for price vs. value. if you like it even cleaner or more mellow than the B2s or you like wood veneers and can get over the 2x price... then it's the S2.

Oh... and I still have both... but I already packed the B2s back in the box...(but only because my 30days is almost over). I'll see if I can negotiate a better price for the Silvers... since I will surely end up with a full surround system anyway. If I can't... I'll go for the B2s.

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
I am only hoping now that it would not be as laborious when the time comes to start auditioning AMPs!!!! geez just thinking of it hurts my back already ha ha ha... I can only imagine how it feels to lug 30~40 lbs boxes in and out of the house!!!

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel

I was actually playing with that idea at some point... it just make sense!!!.. but then I got bed-ridden for a few days doing nothing but watching movies and blasting the stereo ... believe me it gets pretty boring after a few days. I wasn't even in the main "movie" room since I was quarantied upstairs (in my h.ofc).

Almost forgot about that!! 'guess the drugs have not worn off yet. Thanks John!!!!

Rokzi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rodel
Now that it's been mentioned... I think I read from another thread about pairing Axiom QS8s (or QS4s) with MA mains...
any ideas?
Maybe I should post this on a thread of it's own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks