What's new

Missing Musicals (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
i posted this question in the Music section and nobody responded. I'll ask it here:

Regarding the new Rhino Ultimate That's Entertainment! box released last month, any thoughts out there yet? I have the box set released in the '90's and am wondering whether this version is worth a double dip ("expanded and improved sound", etc.).

Thanks.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Regarding the new Rhino Ultimate That's Entertainment! box released last month, any thoughts out there yet? I have the box set released in the '90's and am wondering whether this version is worth a double dip ("expanded and improved sound", etc.).

With a suggested retail price of $90, I'd say no. With the exception of an all-new sixth disc of additional material, the other five discs are identical to the first release, with the addition of material from Love Me or Leave Me and High Society, two films where the soundtrack rights are owned by Columbia and Capitol, respectively. However, all Annie Get Your Gun material has been dropped for some reason.

The liner notes are an updated version of the original ones, and the package design is totally new. I compared cuts between the new release and the earlier one, so I can't comment on what was sonically upgraded. However, the original release always sounded fine to me.

If you are an avid collector of Rhino soundtracks, you'll want to upgrade. But if you have to ask the question, then I'd say no.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
I would say for disc six alone the set is well worth it. I got it for $68.00. I also have the previous set. There are some nice additions to the other five discs ("A Lady Loves" is the extended version), but there really are some nice things on disc six (A Student Prince demo, Gene Kelly's Baby Doll, A deleted song from Jupiter's Darling with George Sanders and the songs from the March of Time. The only draw back is on That's Entertainment Part Three disc, not only are the Annie Get Your Gun songs removed but also the deleted Lena Horne number and Ava Gardner's Song from Showboat. There are two photos mislabeled one under disc six and one under disc one it appears the people who prepared the text for the photos do not know some of the older stars from the early 30's. I am hoping there is going to be another "buried Treasures" cd soon

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
Got it at Barnes & Noble, with a member discount. After looking all over and not finding it anywhere

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I think the new set is superb. It's worth the purchase. The 6th disc of 'buried treasures' is amazing, but it's also great to finally have songs that were glaringly missing from the first set (probably due to rights issues).

Although the Garland Annie Get Your Gun tracks and Lena Horne's Ain't It The Truth were removed and replaced by new content, all of those tracks are available on at least one if not two other subsequent Rhino releases.

The booklet is gorgeous and the whole presentation is excellent. I think the sonic improvement is obvious on many tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks