What's new

Missing Musicals update (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
There's a big surprise here. It lists "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You?" as additional FOOTAGE.

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator

Deef,

This 50th Anniversary edition is already available for a long time in Europe.
Although this edition includes the song "Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You?", this is just a photo recreation of this deleted song. Sorry to disappoint you.

Daniel.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Oh, too bad. There are some differences on the US editions of the disks, aren't there?

Alan-A

Grip

This is one I've been waiting for too - it was on VHS but not on LD - I was hoping that WB would put it in its new incarnation of the "Forbidden Hollywood" series - Keep your fingers crossed. FYI - it's from 1930 not '34.

And speaking of '30's musicals, KING OF JAZZ deserves an issue, as well as SUNNY SIDE UP and the beautifully restored version of FOLLOW THRU.
And where are the MacDonald/Eddy films?

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Three For the Show
You Can't Run Away from It

I would like to see these released on DVD. The laserdisc of the former is a favorite of mine. I guess it would depend on how My Sister Eileen sold.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think I mentioned in another thread that there are music rights problems with You can't Run Away FromIt, so it's unlikely we'll see that released - yet another musical starring Jack Lemmon, the others being Three for the Show and My Sister Eileen.
When I had those released through Peioneer Special editions, I was doing sme work with Jack Lemmon at the time. I told him of the release of the two films. He was amused and said, "When those films came out in theaters, only two people went to see them and one of them was my mother"
When they were released on Laser, My Sister Eileen sold okay and Three for the Show sold not at all.
My biggest selling musiaclas were Lost Horizon (by far), the special edition of 1776, and the remaster of Bye Bye Birdie.

William Miller

Second Unit
Hi Joe,

You did a fabulous job on the Pioneer musical laser discs. I was especially excited when the Bye Bye Birdie came out. But I was very disappointed to find out when I first played it that the stereo channels were reversed. Every time I played it, I had to reverse my audio inputs and quietly wondered to myself who the idiot was that did that. I hope you were not the idiot but if you were, I forgive you. What exactly happened on that one?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
OUr check cassettes from Columbia came in with channels reversed and I told a production assistant to see if the actual video master was also reversed. If it was reversed, please swith the channels at the pressing plant.
All this person did was to automatically swith the channels at the pressing plant without listening to the master first. This woman was a constant thorn in my side and I would not be surprised if she did this on purpose. (no, I will not name names.)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Joe,

I remember that audio problem with Bye Bye Birdie. I returned it and waited a while. The problem (happily) was eventually corrected. What was the deal with the missing frames during the guitar intro?

Was I the only one that bought Three For the Show?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Back in the laserdisc era, whenever there were "blowouts," I usually saw bunches of "Three for the Show," at $3.99, or $2.99 or whatever. Even at that price, it didn't sell much. But I got it. So you weren't the only one.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I found my THREE FOR THE SHOW on eBay and it wasn't cheap. I too, would love to see YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT get a release. I also paid $120 for my LOST HORIZON laser. But they're worth it. We may never see these released again. Thanks, Joe. 1776 is my biggest obsession musical and the laser is invaluable.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I am waiting for a couple more MGM's:

Jupiter's Darling
The Pirate
The Student Prince
Two Weeks With Love

I don't think they're available. Ya suppose they'll be available on dvd just in time for the next format? Sheesh!

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Were Jaques Demy's THE PIED PIPER listed? Are Paramounts BREAKING GLASS, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN-THE FABULOUS STAINS and AMERICAN HOT WAX considered musicals?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Will 2007 be the year:

The Boy Friend
Can-Can
The Pirates of Penzance
Kismet
A Little Night Music
Mame
Porgy and Bess
Lost Horizon

jim om

Auditioning
There's one more mid-1970's musical that hasn't been mentioned in this threat...Peter Bogdanovich's "At Long Last Love." I saw the film when I was 12, but haven't seen it yet. Recently, Mr. Bogdanovich gave a 2 hour talk on classic movies/directors, along with his career, and I asked him about this title. At first, his answer was quite interesting because all of the actors/actresses actually sang live on the set; they had devised tiny radio transmitters in their ears to hear someone playing piano in another part of the studio. Then, as Mr. Bogdanovich detailed the disasterous reviews and low boxoffice of the film he became angry - mentioning particular reviewers and quoting their nasty reviews word by word (one reviewer said the film was written, directed, produced, and ruined by Peter Bogdanovich). Adding insult to my question, he said that the only people who liked "At Long Last Love" are "strange and weird." That got a big laugh at my expense. Finally, he ended his rant by saying that Fox plans to release the musical on dvd in 2007. He said there's "his" version and the studio's version (that got released) and that he's trying to get Fox to release "the director's cut."
So, for anyone who's interested, this could be good news...I'd be curious just to see the movie again...
Jim

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Where's Charley is another one I doubt we'll see anytime soon because the creator's widow dislikes it and has kept it out of circulation.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I did see the film "Where's Charley" a few years ago and I must agree it isn't very good and it is extremely dated. Except for "Once n Love With Amy" I don't remember anything worth viewing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks