What's new

Miami Vice Officially Announced! (now w/Feb. date) (1 Viewer)

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember "Sharp Dressed Man" ever being in "Heart of Darkness". I do remember it in "Whatever Works", the first regular episode of season 2.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hi all.

I did a search, but didn't see it discussed, so here goes: Does Miami Vice Season One on DVD come with an insert? The packaging is designed to carry one, but all mine came with is a advertisement of Universal TV on DVD.

Thanks.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the pilot last night, and I was really blown away. Can't wait to watch the rest of the episodes from season one.

I did not regularly watch MV in the 80s, because it was on Friday night and I was usually at a basketball game or other activity, but I would occasionally watch it (and love it). It's nice to be able to discover it on DVD.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I bought this but one of my discs was scratched and messed up in my player. I'll be exchanging it this weekend for a new copy. Has anyone had similar QC issues with this set?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Yeah no insert here aswell. I don't believe i got anything but the advertising insert in most of my universal sets. NX, Q.Leap, A-team, Knight Rider, Magnum to name a few all had just the advertisement. Buck Rogers and BG both had booklets.

I was thinking about the music rights issue with Miami Vice and if they can just get by keeping S2 intact then there shouldn't be any problem with the last 3 years. If memory serves me right after S2 alot of the music and color went away and the show became much darker in tone. They simply did not use nearly as much music as in the first two years. But then again i am just going on what i recall so i could be wrong.

I might stop after S2 anyway as after that Vice stopped being the fun show it was in the first two years.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Shane, Aryn,

Thanks a lot for confirming the absence of an insert.

That's good to know. I only own Buck Rodgers and Battlestar Galactica, which is probably why I was expecting a booklet.

Thanks again.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
One thing I don't like is the flipper discs and how small the print is on the spline, I mean my god its tiny..have pity on the old geeks like me. It hard to read what side of the disc your putting in the player. I also noticed how the music goes from soft on the intro to louder when like Crocket was standing there in the first scenes of the pilot. Wow, that brought back memories. :D The entire clothing thing was kewl for sure, we all wanted to be him.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I grew up with Miami Vice, so childhood nostalgia prompted me to pick up the set (just as it decreed when Magnum, P.I. S1 came out). While I'm a little disappointed in the video quality (though it's comparable to Crime Story), I'm having a blast watching these episodes! The music, most of which I don't like, fits the time period and the show perfectly, so I'm glad Universal didn't replace it with generic knockoffs. Great guest stars (Pam Grier and Crime Story's Dennis Farina!), Olmos' Lt. Castillo and laughable fashions (of course our fashions will be laughed at ten years from now) make for a fun viewing experience! Can't wait for the S2 DVD set (with all the music intact, I hope) sometime in 2005!

Duane R

Second Unit

I just got through watching "Made for Each Other" and at about the 22:00 mark, the picture and sound freezes and stays wonky for a bit (about 8-10 seconds), and it seems to be repeatable. It's the scene where Switek and his GF are preparing to ride the carnal carousel, but are interrupted by Zito.

Kinson_Y

Auditioning
Miami Vice Movie

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Universal is currently in the pre-production phase of a Miami Vice movie starring Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx as Crockett and Tubbs!

Release date is tentatively July 28, 2006

It'll be shot (not surprisingly) in Miami and Michael Mann is going to produce, direct and write for this quasi-remake.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
There are several threads in the Movie forum discussing the upcoming movie.

In one of the Miami Vice forums, someone mentions that according to their NBC broadcast tape (wow!), there is no "Sharp Dressed Man" from ZZ Top on "Heart of Darkness" (Episode 2), so these fan sites are not accurate.

So I guess we have to trust www.miamivicedvd.com (a Universal web site) for the "authority" on original music (or music). I wonder if this site will have a similar music list for the rest of the seasons?

And my DVDs plays fine. Try your sets on another player to see if it's the discs or your player.
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
On another Miami Vice forum:

http://p203.ezboard.com/fmiamivicefa...art=61&stop=80

Scroll down to the last post on the page for some VERY INTERESTING comments regarding music rights. It's by the owner/administrator/moderator of the forum and the Chronicles Web site. However, I also could not find the other post that is referred to in this post but the poster says, "I think."

But if that is true, great news indeed! For those of you who don't want to visit that page, it is suggested that MV took so long to come out on DVD because Universal was trying to acquire the music rights to all five seasons! If that is true, then we should be seeing an announcement for Season 2 soon, eh?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick.C

Second Unit

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. Look at the speed at which the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Quantum Leap came out. Three seasons in a years time. Dukes of Hazard, although not Universal, is the same way. Someone was probably forward thinking enough to knock out all of the music issues in one whack, thereby speeding up the release schedule. They can sell us all five seasons before HD DVD/Blu Ray hits the big time and then re-release them on the new format and try to double dip us. Plus, they're "striking while the iron is hot" so to speak. The sooner they release the second season, the more copies they are likely to sell, as they can build on the enthusiasm from the first season. And, depending on the progress of the new movie, they may also have some release plans tied in with it.

Personally I'm really looking forward to season 2, although I'm not as excited about the later seasons. I will buy 3 through 5 for sure, but season 2 is really just an extension of the first season and the "classic" Miami Vice that I really like. Once the Testerossa, new fashions, and darker themes came along, the show lost a lot of what I thought was special about it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Quantum Leap S2 came out so soon after S1 because Universal didn't bother to license the music; they just replaced it wholesale!

S3 may suffer the same fate, since it's coming out just as quickly after S2. We're not sure of that yet, though (but I can't imagine it being any different).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dukes (which is from Warner Bros.) doesn't have nearly as much music to license as Vice or Leap. Yeah, it's more music-intense than, say, Barney Miller. But not quite at Vice/Leap levels.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i just finished the first disc and when i play it on my pioneer DV333, it stalls on the "One Eyed Jack" episode, about 15 min in. if i play around with the FF and RW, it stops and goes for the next minute, and then eventually it just stalls for good. then i took the disc out (it looked fine) and tried it on my xbox and it played perfectly. so i guess the pressing wasn't perfect.
anyways, i rarely have reading problems on my pioneer.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I am hoping that it is true and that MV took so long because Universal acquired all music rights! However, there has been no big discussion about it, even on the MV forums, so I'm not holding my breath...
-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks