What's new

Miami Vice Officially Announced! (now w/Feb. date) (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Yeah, as long as they didn't use Ace Frehley's remake in case it was cheaper to acquire!

I got Russ Ballard's Greatest Hits CD based on "Voices." I knew about "In the Night" from the Ace Frehley version so I was glad it was a 'greatest hit.'

As I mentioned earlier, I really REALLY hope that the music stays intact for the rest of the series because I'm looking forward to hearing Phil Collins and "Long Long Way to Go" from the season 2 finale "Sons & Lovers." Another CD I bought based on this song. Chills when you hear and see that song/scene.
-

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Shane: way to go! glad your liking it.

I am down to the last 4 episodes, the set is great!

My only complaint and its minor is these discs are to tight i am scared i am going to break them removing them ala my galactica set.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ugh. That's how my Magnum discs were. I was sweating it. "Please come off. Please don't break. Please come off. PLEASE DON'T BREAK."

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if you guys have ever tried this, but take a blank CD (maybe a coaster from a failed burn) and try snapping it. These things are amazingly flexible, so taking it off a tight hub shouldn't break the DVD.

Gord

MattHR

Screenwriter

Gord, DVDs are more fragile than CDs. Remember, unlike CDs, they are manufactured as two pieces then bonded together. Many people (myself included) have encountered small cracks around the center hole of DVDs packaged on hubs that are too tight. Even the slightest flexing of a DVD can damage its content, if not crack the disc itself. Usually, just a small piece of the clear plastic from one side of the disc breaks off. Stress at the center can loosen the bond of the two sides, or even alter the layering of data (if it's a DL disc).

The studios must abandon this awful hub design! I can't believe they're still using it. You'd think by now at least a few studio executives would have noticed this problem and said, "Geez! Maybe we should design a better package!" Just because it works for CDs doesn't mean it's suited for DVDs.

I do use a bad CD to "loosen" up the hubs of these problem cases, by snapping it in-and-out several times, until the hub is "worn" enough to allow the DVD to be removed easily.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I got the song list from several Miami Vice Web sites (and from the Usenet newsgroup when MV was on the air on NBC) and after watching this episode, I did not hear ZZ Top.

It could be that these sites just mirrored each other and got it wrong or ... say it isn't so ... Universal replaced or removed this song! Is there any way to check if this song was originally broadcast in this episode? I have a tape recording of the ep when it was on TNN and it also does not have ZZ Top.

It is listed again in "Whatever Works" in Season 2 so I am wondering if it was listed inadvertantly here. However, the MV newsgroup way back in the mid-80s also said "SDM" was in this episode. Could they have been wrong back then? I would think not since people were actually listening to the songs carefully to compile the list in the first place.

According to TV Shows on DVD's 1/8/05 report:

Mayer said the first season Miami Vice set will contain every piece of original music but couldn't say yet what plans for the following seasons will be.

So that means that all of these years, these MV sites got it wrong and ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" wasn't in the episode? Unless my hearing is failing me, I don't hear it.
-

Gary_E

Second Unit
I picked up this set on Sunday and I must agree it is very well done. One minor issue that drives me crazy is that this set, along with that 70's Show, will not play on my HTPC.

I use a PC to play DVDs through the video card's TV-OUT which is fed throughout my house. POWER DVD will not allow this set to be played while the TV-OUT is engaged. MOST ANNOYING!

-Gary

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am curious as to how it is selling. That will decide whether we get the original music in future releases.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Small observation: On the episode "The Home Invaders" (Disc 3 Side B), there is no chapter stop after the theme/credits. Chapter 2 starts a little after the 14 minute mark. Strange, as how all other episodes' Chapter 2 start after the theme.

To revisit my previous post (last post on previous page), has anyone else heard ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" in Episode 2 "Heart of Darkness"? This song has been listed in numerous Miami Vice Websites (including the MV Usenet newsgroup back in the mid-80s) since they started compiling these "facts." I don't hear this song.
-

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I have watched the first six eps...I will go back and check for you.

No one has seemed to notice the "pause" (possibly a layer change) that I experience on my Sony DVD player during the pilot when Sonny is sitting in the Ferrari talking to the guy who "sold out" to Calderone. It came right after he says "you were my partner..."

I don't notice it on my laptop's DVD player...

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I did not notice sharp dressed man at all either. Unless it played quietly in the background and i didn't notice it. The only ZZTOP song i heard was LEGS.

AjayM

Screenwriter

This is far from "real" information, but I decided to pick the set up last Friday (of the release week), and I went first to Circuit City (closest store to the house), they didn't have any in the store. So next I bit the bullet and walked into Walmart, they didn't have any in the store either. Finally I went to Best Buy later that night, they had none on the shelves (all sold), and finally asked a guy who brought some out.

I think this is the first time in my DVD buying experience that I have ever seen a "sold-out" new release, granted stores may not have ordered big quantities (as it's a 20yr old TV show, not a hit movie release), but it was still very suprising.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Mine arrived today from DD dvd, I think I already know the answer to this, but is this set only availble in full frame, correct?

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I got my vice ;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

It was filmed in full frame so the answer is yes. Vice is in its OAR.

Im tight on cash right now but I want Heat, Vice and Greatest Am Hero now. I might have to trade a few things for now.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I turned up the volume and still didn't hear it. It's the same with "Nobody Lives Forever": You can't hear "Green Onions" that much since it's in the background (when Izzy is showing the punks his shoes in the restaurant). But with "Sharp Dressed Man," I can't hear it at all.

Okay, from the Quantum Leap Season 3 thread, I've learned that http://www.miamivicedvd.com/ has a list of all the music (this is a Univeral Home Video site). ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man" is not listed for "Heart of Darkness." Of course, the cynic in me could believe that if this song WAS on the original broadcast, this list could be altered.
-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks