What's new

The Beatles: Get Back (9/4/20) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
OFFICIAL NEWS FROM THEBEATLES.COM

"THE BEATLES: GET BACK"
SEPTEMBER 4, 2020

Photo: ©1969 Paul McCartney / Photographer: Linda McCartney
THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS TO RELEASE ACCLAIMED FILMMAKER PETER JACKSON’S DOCUMENTARY "THE BEATLES: GET BACK"
IN THEATERS NATIONWIDE SEPTEMBER 4, 2020

New film features extensive, never-before-seen footage of the legendary band’s "Let It Be" recording sessions along with the entire iconic rooftop concert, fully restored

BURBANK, Calif. (March 11, 2020)—The Walt Disney Studios has acquired the worldwide distribution rights to acclaimed filmmaker Peter Jackson’s previously announced Beatles documentary. The film will showcase the warmth, camaraderie and humor of the making of the legendary band’s studio album, "Let It Be," and their final live concert as a group, the iconic rooftop performance on London’s Savile Row. "The Beatles: Get Back" will be released by The Walt Disney Studios in the United States and Canada on September 4, 2020, with additional details and dates for the film’s global release to follow. The announcement was made earlier today by Robert A. Iger, Executive Chairman, The Walt Disney Company, at Disney’s annual meeting of shareholders.

"No band has had the kind of impact on the world that The Beatles have had, and ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ is a front-row seat to the inner workings of these genius creators at a seminal moment in music history, with spectacularly restored footage that looks like it was shot yesterday," says Iger of the announcement. "I’m a huge fan myself, so I could not be happier that Disney is able to share Peter Jackson’s stunning documentary with global audiences in September."

"The Beatles: Get Back," presented by The Walt Disney Studios in association with Apple Corps Ltd. and WingNut Films Productions Ltd., is an exciting new collaboration between The Beatles, the most influential band of all time, and three-time Oscar®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson ("The Lord of the Rings" trilogy). Compiled from over 55 hours of unseen footage, filmed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in 1969, and 140 hours of mostly unheard audio recordings from the "Let It Be" album sessions, "The Beatles: Get Back" is directed by Jackson and produced by Jackson, Clare Olssen ("They Shall Not Grow Old") and Jonathan Clyde, with Ken Kamins and Apple Corps’ Jeff Jones serving as executive producers.

The footage has been brilliantly restored by Park Road Post Production of Wellington, New Zealand, and is being edited by Jabez Olssen, who collaborated with Jackson on 2018’s "They Shall Not Grow Old," the groundbreaking film which featured restored and colorized World War I archival footage. The music in the film will be mixed by Giles Martin and Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios in London. With this pristine restoration behind it, "The Beatles: Get Back" will create a vivid, joyful and immersive experience for audiences.

Peter Jackson says, "Working on this project has been a joyous discovery. I’ve been privileged to be a fly on the wall while the greatest band of all time works, plays and creates masterpieces. I’m thrilled that Disney have stepped up as our distributor. There’s no one better to have our movie seen by the greatest number of people."

Paul McCartney says, "I am really happy that Peter has delved into our archives to make a film that shows the truth about The Beatles recording together. The friendship and love between us comes over and reminds me of what a crazily beautiful time we had."

Ringo Starr says, "I’m really looking forward to this film. Peter is great and it was so cool looking at all this footage. There was hours and hours of us just laughing and playing music, not at all like the version that came out. There was a lot of joy and I think Peter will show that. I think this version will be a lot more peace and loving, like we really were."

"The Beatles: Get Back" is also being made with the enthusiastic support of Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison.

Shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm, the 80-minute "Let It Be" movie was built around the three weeks of filming, including an edited version of the rooftop concert. A fully restored version of the original "Let It Be" film will be made available at a later date.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very much looking forward to this. Expect the tone to be very different from Let It Be. Just look at Paul and Ringo’s comments in the press release.

True fact: Paul originally wanted that album to be called Get Back.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This sounds wonderful, but is a strange pickup for Disney that doesn't really fit into any category of films they usually release. It will be interesting to see how they handle the release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On the other hand, I understand the rationale.

The Beatles will obviously appeal at least in part to an older crowd, who are currently high risk for the virus and are therefore less likely to attend in theaters this year. By moving this back to next August, Disney might be able to get those viewers back in a theatrical setting. I certainly hope it is safe to go to a movie by August 2021.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Would you go to a theater to see this in 2020 if it had stuck to its original release date?
NO ! ...........I just want the Bluray and box set CD's like the other BEATLES anniversary releases. Probably the Vinyl set also ! :) My movie theater day's are long over. Summer of 2008 was the last time.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I mean, this is disappointing for me too. But at this point, so many other things I have been looking forward to this year have been postponed or cancelled that this is just another one on the pile.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If you're comfortable going back to movie theater in August 2020, good luck. I would like to be but do not think it is likely that I will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks