1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven"

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    According to DigitalBits, MGM is releasing a batch of War and Westerns films including some of my favorites. I hope they do John Huston proud with "The Unforgiven" which starred Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, and Lillian Gish. The actual release year for "The Unforgiven" was 1960 not 1953 as indicated in the article. Also, being released is Robert Aldrich's "Attack" a very underrated War film which starred Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, and Eddie Albert. I hope "Zulu" has the OAR and I wonder if there will be any extra features on this dvd release. Furthermore, there are several other good War and Westerns being released in May and June.

Crawdaddy

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Robert,

Excellent news. Any film with both Jack Palance and Lee Marvin in it are worth seeing (and owning)! Of those two, only Jack Palance is alive now (and kicking [​IMG] ).

And to add a great wish of my own: I hope they release Zulu Dawn (1979, Douglas Hickox) as well. It's a true sequel to Zulu. Arguably, the film isn't as good as the first, but together it's a time piece that belongs in a collection in a complete form (now I have to use the VHS version of ZD).

Cees

3. Danny_N

Danny_N Well-Known Member

Excellent news. One of the war movies will be Battle Of Britain [​IMG]. Let's just hope that MGM releases all the widescreen movies in anamorpic widescreen. I wouldn't like another Exodus quality DVD for The Unforgiven and Battle Of Britain. Wonder how the Zulu DVD will compare to the R2 release.

4. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Well-Known Member

I am sure you will get a release of Zulu which is as good as the reg2 recent release.

The picture is superb, original OAR, and a set of extras including commentary and 2 documentaries, which are only realy missing Mr Caine himself.

Battle of Britain is one of my top 5 wish list. I can't wait to own an OAR, anamorphic release, 5.1 would be icing on the cake for a film that could sound great; also to give justice to one of the truly great movie scores.

5. Runar_R

Runar_R Well-Known Member

I think John Huston is one important director who really need some more substantial realeases on dvd. I can't think of any Huston title that has a really good dvd. I mean "The Dead" isn't even available at all! [​IMG]

6. Paul Case

Paul Case Well-Known Member

Oh man, I can't wait to get my hands on Attack! and Zulu on dvd. Thumbs up to MGM! [​IMG]

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Well-Known Member

This is fantastic news [​IMG]

I never expected Attack to come out anytime soon. What a great underrated War film.

I've also been holding out for Zulu for the longest time.

I hate to gripe but I was under the impression that we'd get a SE release from MGM.

Oh well as long as we get a good transfer in OAR I'll pick it up.

8. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Well-Known Member

9. Robert Crawford

Robert

I beg to differ, I think the following dvds have nice transfers.
    • The Red Badge of Courage
    • The Maltese Falcon
    • Key Largo

However, I do wish they revisited some earlier releases such as an anamorphic transfer of "The Misfits" and "Prizzi's Honor". As well as releasing more of his titles in Region 1 like "The African Queen", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "The Asphalt Jungle" among others. Thankfully, "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" is coming out in a couple of months.

Crawdaddy

10. Matt_P

Matt_P Well-Known Member

BATTLE OF BRITAIN!!!!!!!

HOORAAAAAYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope for anamorphic OAR, 5.1, original mix, isolated score (one can dream, right?), and more!!!!

Back to reality: I'll be happy with a decent anamorphic OAR transfer. I guess the laserdisc prices (the only format Britain was availble on in OAR) will start coming back down to earth.

11. Jo_C

Jo_C Well-Known Member

Finally! An "official" release of "Zulu". This will put to an end all the debate over the different DVD releases.

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Michael,

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Today, Bill Hunt stated on his site that both "Zulu" and "Battle of Britian" will be released in their OAR. Also, it looks like "The Unforgiven" will be in it's OAR. Interesting that two John Huston titles will be released on the same day, 5/20/03 by two different studios. MGM with "The Unforgiven" and Fox with "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison".

Crawdaddy

14. michael deakin

michael deakin Well-Known Member

Michael Charles Deakin
    Hey guy's don't forget "633 Sqaudron" as well.

mike.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Well-Known Member

Digital Bits reports that Zulu will be mono - my Criterion is the original full stereo mix - what gives.
    The real gem for me among these releases is mgm June release of The Sum of Us with Russel Crowe - marvelous film.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Joe,
    Checking around, the 35MM print of "Zulu" indicates mono sound and not the six channel stereo sound of the 70MM print.

Crawdaddy

17. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

[​IMG] to them for releasing Zulu . Too bad it won't have the stereo track though. The news that they are releasing Battle of Britain is good as well. I just hope they do justice to the picture quality for these releases.

[​IMG] to them because they still haven't released The Secret of NIMH in it's OAR.

18. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Well-Known Member

19. Brian E

Brian E Well-Known Member

Man, MGM's going get a bunch of money off of me.

633 Squadron
    Attack!
    Battle of Britain
    Mosquito Squadron
    Zulu
    The Unforgiven
    Stargate SG-1: The Complete Third Season

I'll get those for sure. I see a few other possibilities there too.

20. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Well-Known Member

I'm going to be interested in seeing how this version of "Zulu" matches up with the R2 version.