What's new

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven" (1 Viewer)

RickardL

Supporting Actor
This is the R4:
Video: 2.35:1, 16x9 enhanced
Audio
- English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Surround
- French Dolby Digital 2.0
- Italian Dolby Digital 2.0
- Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0
- English Audio Commentary Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Surround
Extras
- Main Menu Introduction
- Main Menu Audio & Animation
- Theatrical Trailer (3:40)
- Theatrical rerelase trailer (1:15)
- Audio Commentary-Sheldon Hall (Film Historian) & Robert Porter (2nd Unit Dir)
- Featurette-Making Of-The Making Of Zulu: Role Of Honour (25:47)
- Featurette-Making Of-The Making Of Zulu: ...And Snappeth The Spear In Sunder (20:04)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It is a wonderful disc Oscar. You will not be sorry if you buy the R2 or R4 DVD. Wait to you see the reds!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I also have a copy of the laser disc. It seems we will have to add Zulu to the list of laserdisc's that are better than the dvd's.

Mysterious Island. LD - Full screen and stereo sound. DVD - matted and mono sound.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad,Mad World. LD - More picture information on the sides, color changes with the opening titles, and longer running time than the DVD.

Alamo. LD - 202 minutes, DVD - 169 minutes.

I could add more.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It seems we will have to add Zulu to the list of laserdisc's that are better than the dvd's.
You're obviously only referring to Region 1. The Region 2/4 Zulu blows away the Criterion Laserdisc.

Also, I believe the longer cut of The Alamo is out in Region 4.

Jeff

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just FYI, I finally heard back from MGM about Zulu. This comes right from their tech services people, and should answer a lot of your questions. It's up on The Bits too.

"We created a brand new interpositive off of the Super Technirama original negative and completed the new high definition transfer, in cooperation with Paramount, at HTV. Despite searching for stereo audio, which is believed to have been created at some point, we were only able to find mono audio. This audio was provided by Paramount."

Cheers!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Too bad about the audio, but this tells us that MGM went the extra mile
If M-G-M has omitted the commentary by Mrs Hall & Porter, & the "Making of Zulu" documentary that are featured on the R2 release, then I'd say they only went about half a mile by only updating the video transfer.

Bill Hunt

Insider
As someone in this thread said earlier, that might have been a rights issue. If Paramount created those extras, they might not have allowed licensing them for MGM's R1 release. I wouldn't immediately assume MGM took the low road...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well in that case "Zulu" fans you should go multi-regional & get the R2 or R4 version. It is a much better buy for your $$$.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's going to be a more expensive buy for your $$$. After the dollar conversion it's $17.55 for the Region 4 and that's without international shipping costs applied. DVDPlanet has the Region 1 listed for $10.47, but I bet I can get it less than that price. It's all about how much you're willing to spend on this title.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If your talking strictly in terms of only dollars & cents then I agree with you. What I mean by a better buy for the money is the inclusion of the extras on the R2 & R4 versions. Just MHO & 2¢ worth.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Since I can watch all regions, I just went ahead and
ordered the R2. The surround sound and the extras
are surely worth spending any extra $10-15.
I mean, I would not willingly buy any mono sound disc
if I knew it existed in surround also!

BTW, The R4 costs US$15.95 at ezydvd, add US$3.33 for
worldwide shipping of a single disc and there you go.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Well, Ezydvd lists it as $AU28.95 but that is GST included.
International price becomes $AU26.34 and according
to their own currency converter equals $US15.94.
The shipping is $AU3.50 for South/Pacific and $AU5.50
($US3.33) for the rest of the world.
That's all I know.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mono is actually fine for Zulu. According to www.widescreenmuseum.com the stereo 70mm track was rarely presented in theaters.
Patrick - I don't think it's fine at all. Dozens and dozens of films made in the '50s had stereo sountracks but were heard in that format in very few theatres. Does that mean we should be satisfied with a mono soundtrack because hardly anyone originally heard it? The DVD should use the print which gave the best (sound & picture) presentation of the film.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt over at Digital bits contacted MGM vid about Zulu - they talk about making a new IP in conjuction with Paramount. They also mention that a stereo track had been created at some point but they couldn't find it.
Thanks for the info Bill, but if they worked in conuunction with Paramount who put out the Zulu DVD in England - IN STERO - why didn't Paramount give them the stereo track - or if push came to shove they could life the Sulu stereo track off the digital track onthe Criterion Laserdisc - I have a copy I will donate to them.
This whole situation is ridiculous and MGM vids excuses ;are completely full of baloney - to put it politely.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Well, if I can only get the stereo version of ZULU on R2 or R4 DVD's where do I get one of these all region DVD players? Are there other titles that are better on R2 or R4 than R1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks