What's new

MGM releasing "Attack", "Zulu" and John Huston's "The Unforgiven" (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What exactly is the OAR for NIMH anyway? My region 2 copy is in 1:85:1, but I reckon it's incorrect.
------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you figure so? Imdb indicates this film was 1.85:1. It has been a lot of years since I saw this film in the theatre but from what I remember the film did not seem to be framed 1.33:1. The DVD is 1.33:1 which I don't think is correct. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
To Crawdaddy's list of Huston films on DVD with fine transfers, I'll add Huston's twilight-years classic, 'Fat City'.

Also, I sure wish MGM had seen fit to include Anthony Mann's 'Man of the West' in the batch of westerns scheduled for release.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford, your reply about Zulu 35mm being mono and only teh 70mm is stereo makes no sense. If the Criterion laserdisc can have the stereo track, so can the mgm dvd - there is no reason why it can't.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If Paramount can issue ZULU in stereo in R2 I don't see why MGM can't do the same for R1. Looks like this might be another example of MGM not putting much effort into a release; as was the case with EXODUS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Joe,
I'm not defending MGM just making note about the different prints and sound tracks which kind of surprised me. Also, as indicated by others, MGM is known to have cut corners before on their releases such as "The Big Country" and "Exodus" with both having mediocre video presentations. Hopefully, more information will come out about this release which would indicate the inclusion of the stereo track, but we are talking about MGM and not Criterion.

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am absolutely interested in The Unforgiven by John Huston
and am thinking about Zulu R1 or should I buy the R2 ?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Why do you figure so? Imdb indicates this film was 1.85:1. It has been a lot of years since I saw this film in the theatre but from what I remember the film did not seem to be framed 1.33:1. The DVD is 1.33:1 which I don't think is correct. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Well here's a screencap from the European NIMH DVD:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bits_P...0screencap.jpg

It's missing some detail from top and bottom and any extra information to either side seems slight at best. I have the original cel of this particular scene and her legs are visible. That's why I'm assuming the framing is wrong.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We probably should be discussing this in another thread, but the framing in the screen cap seems to be okay. When I look at the composition of that shot, everything points to Brisby's facial expression as the main focus. All the background and foreground elements are arranged in such a way as to lead the eye directly to Brisby. If the film was framed at 1.33:1 then a lot of extraneous information at the top and bottom gets introduced which would result in a loss of focus on the Brisby character. Using a 1.33:1 framing would cause the character to sort of "sink" into the background.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
:emoji_thumbsup: to an official studio anamorphic release of Zulu! Thanks MGM, and thanks for The Unforgiven too! I've never seen Attack!, but I may pick it up as well.

It's nice to see some talk about the highly underrated and little known Zulu Dawn. I agree that a R1 anamorphic DVD would be most welcome. I'm probably one of the few, however, who find Zulu Dawn to be superior to Zulu.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
FYI dvdfile is reporting that Attack will be Full screen. :frowning: :confused:

Anyone know for sure what the OAR of this is?

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I don't know for sure, but the LD was full screen - this film was b/w, 1956, and not a high-budget film so it might have been in academy ratio originally. It's worth getting anyway. It isn't your usual WW2 movie.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
From Bill Hunt's column at The Digital Bits:
MGM will also debut a big spate of titles on the 20th: 633 Squadron, Battle of Britain and Zulu (all in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen), Mosquito Squadron, Operation Amsterdam and War Hunt (all 1.66:1 non-anamorphic widescreen) and Attack! (full screen). All include their original theatrical trailers, and retail is $14.95 a pop
At least from these two announcements it appears that M-G-M's "Zulu" will not include the commentary by Mrs Hall & Porter, nor the "Making of Zulu" documentary that are featured on the R2 release by Paramount. Unless someone has a more authoritative source about the details of M-G-M's "Zulu", I would would think that the R1 fans of this film will not be getting the extras that the R2 fans got. If I was "only" restricted to R1 DVDs I'd feel really cheated by this M-G-M release of "Zulu".

(Post #1000)

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The R2 release of Zulu is through Paramount, not MGM. I suspect a deal hasn't yet or couldn't be struck between the two studios for the extras. BTW, the same DVD is available in R4 at a significantly cheaper price to the R2.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The R2 release of Zulu is through Paramount, not MGM
If you're refering to my post, I did mention that the R2 release was from Paramount. I bought my R2 version before it became available in R4, otherwise I would have taken advantage of the exchange rate. This situation with "Zulu" is just another reason that we all should be multi-regional. That way the Studios can't stick it to us with the region system.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, that settles that. I will be sticking with the Region 2 disc. I could probably live without the extras but there is no excuse for a mono track considering the film was exhibited with a stereo mix in 70mm!

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks