What's new

Merged thread for "Band of Brothers" (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I was hoping to get this in the mail today, but I guess the standard international shipping from Amazon.ca is pretty slow. Oh well... I saved $30 getting it from them, so I wont complain too loudly :)
Brian

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
This one is still in transit from bestbuy.com :frowning: . After watching this series on HBO-HD a couple of times I'm sure I will be viewing the DVD's on a periodic basis to capture the insane level of action this company experienced.
As far as fleshing out specific characters -- I feel that it did an 'adaquate' job in this regard. Winters and a couple of the characters you follow from boot camp thrugh the end go through 'personal transformations' that are pretty well explored, despite not knowing much about their family and pre-war experiences. What you see more is the accelerted pace of maturation for the participants in a 12-18 month period of going through 'hell'. For the combatants this is high intensity (50% of the company was lost) but doesn't come close to the European civilian experiences at the hands of the Nazis.
Joel

Matt_P

Second Unit
BoB is without a doubt the best TV mini series of all time. This should be required viewing for all Americans. One can never fully appreciate the sacrifices made by our many veterans--however, this series offers us a glimpse, depicting with brutal clarity the reality and horror of war.

Thank you members of Easy, 101st AB, and all other veterans, both alive and passed.

As far as the DVD goes, a very impressive presentation indeed. I would prefer if the entire digipak could be removed from the tin, making disc access easier. Also, is there suppossed to be a booklet in the tin? If so, I did not receive one.

What episode do you think is the best of the series?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
During an interview segment about leaders, the interviewees use the word "he", as in "I don't know how he survived", but "he" is never identified. Was the "he" a leader in general or some one specific. A person never finds out who they were talking about.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

not sure if this was already mentioned, but did anyone notice a dialogue synch problem for part 7 with the dd track? it was very slight, but i think it was there???

i'm about to watch part 8, so i'll see if it's the entire 4th dvd or not.

ted

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

Could you imagine someone actually sitting through 10+ hours of a movie just in the movie theaters? I think that's the only reason it didn't/couldn't make it to the big screens. I think I would've gone to see it if it were on the big screens.

John N,

I too, bought this set blind. I must say, this is one of the best dvds I have. I am a big war movie fan and I definitely have to say this is further ahead in my race on 'which war movie is better'. SPR was good, very good, but cannot compare to the amount of detail and emotion that Band of Brothers got into with practically each character. Not to mention the great visual and audio quality of the dvds. I also like to mention the summary and field plans they put into the dvds. Definitely a nice touch!

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Yet another site unseen buyer here. I did cheat a little with all the recommendations from friends. I have to say this has me completely gripped and I received it last Monday and committed myself to watching an episode a night. I have been watching it on my XGA NEC projector on a 106" screen and got through 7 episodes. But alas, I had to travel this week for business. :angry: I guess I could have watched it on the 27" TV but I didn't want to settle. Thursday I'll continue to watch an episode a night until I'm done with all the episodes.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
Watched ep. 9 "Why We Fight" last night. Wow!! What a powerful episode (haven't seen ep. 10 yet). For me it took the series to a whole other level.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I noticed a mistake in the Field Guide on disc four, which contains Parts 7 & 8. Under the Soldiers Bios, for Henry Jones. This part was played by Tom Hank's son, and the start of the bio they refer to him as Hank Jones... opps :)
Mike D.
[EDIT] It just occured to me... is Hank the nickname of Henry?? If so, I'm an idiot :b

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It just occured to me... is Hank the nickname of Henry?? If so, I'm an idiot
It is. Hank Aaron = Henry Aaron.

But if I recall, he played a British character, and the Brit nickname for Henry is often Harry. Does anyone know if they use Hank, too?

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Favourite episode was Bastogne. The actor who portrayed medic Eugene Roe was outstanding. Great portrayal of combat exhaustion. One of the most tense episodes and one of the most rewarding for me.

My second favourite had to be "Crossroads". Winters is quite an interesting guy and I really liked the use of flashback to tell his story. His lone charge of the German position on the dike was amazing and very powerful. His ride on the train in Paris was a bit Casualties of War'ish but was pulled off effectively. What a great set.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Is this a good series? I liked Saving Private Ryan, but had to forward some really violent shots when my wife was watching with me. Is Band of Brothers similar in graphic violent content? And, overall, is it good? I've heard nothing about it.

/edit: punctuation

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If no one answers your question here then are several threads about Band of Brothers in the television area of the forum that you can access by using the search engine.

Crawdaddy

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Lanny,
On Several levels, Band of Brothers, due to it's mini-series format is actually a better more complete experience. That said, there is no shortage of violent scenes and there is a level of gore that may disturb some. The beachhead scene in Saving Private Ryan is disturbing not only for the obvious blood and gore on the screen but also for the sense of chaos that Spielberg so effectively creates.
These types of scenes are present in Band of Brothers but just like SPR, this film is about the men and their story FIRST. Honestly, once you pop the first disk you better set aside 10 hours right then and there. Last week I went into work sleepy-eyed a few times ;) .
It's hard for me to say this film is more gory than that film because both films, I think, represent the horror of war in a serious, just way that hasn't been seen in Hollywood before. No other media aid (textbook, documentary etc) has brought me a better idea of the HUGE sacrifice that one generation made for the future of our country. No amount of High School history compares ;).
I'm embarrased to say that I haven't seen Schindler's list. That is on my movie to do list. That said, the power of Part 9, Why We Fight is sufficient for the time being. You just have to see it to understand what I mean.
Michael

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I echo Michael's comments on the quality of the series. As far as the violence and gore quotients go, it's no where near the quantity of SPR. You have to the third hour ("Carentan") before there is any violence that I'd consider "graphic" and it's only three or four fairly brief moments.

Only the "Bastonge" episode really lingers on the graphic violence in a way that I found genuinely disturbing.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Well, I finally finished the series and I am floored! This was so well done and I extend many kudos to HBO for this release. For those of you who want to know if this will disturb you. The answer simply put is YES!!! And it should. It puts you in the place of these heroes and these are true stories. Certain films and series are meant to disturb you and this is one of them. This is a must see for all!

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Thank you.

I, too, found the violence level in Saving Private Ryan disturbing, moving, and justified. For my wife it takes a lesser level of graphic content to shock her and get somewhat the same response. If it gets too much she is simply too deeply offended to be moved, and she won't want to finish watching it.

Still, when showing here Saving Private Ryan I left most of it in, only scanning across the most severe graphic images.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks