What's new

Merged thread for "Band of Brothers" (1 Viewer)

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I finally finished the series (took a while to arrive from Amazon.ca), over the last couple of days and as others have echoed in this thread it is truly one of the most remarkable things I have seen. The show covered ground that a lot of previous material had never shown, stuff which might be considered 'details' in a feature-length movie really made the difference here (at least for me).

A very moving, accurate tale first and foremost. Given the extra time it really grabs you and pulls you in, I found it hard to stop yesterday when it got rather late. I consider it an honor to watch this and share the experiences of the brave folk over in Europe (even if it is from the comfort of my home). An amazing story with an excellent audio/video presentation (the video quality was simply outstanding - very film-like with no problems to speak of) I highly recommend a blind purchase to anyone.

Brad Nilsson

Agent
I also finally finished the last episode. This was my first viewing. I have been interested in and read about World War II for many years. I read the book version of the series a few years ago. I was a little disappointed by the BOB series. I agree with other posters that a little narrative linkage would have gone a long way. In general I was able to follow that narrative thread with only some confusion and identify most of the characters, but my wife (without the historical background) was much more at a loss.

I still rate the series quite highly and I enjoyed it; however, it was not the knock-out I had hoped for. HBO's From The Earth To The Moon remains my favorite all time multi-episode production.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This was one of the most anticipated releases ever on dvd for me. I love the show. It was simply stunning and sobering. This really shows what our military men went through that has provided us with the freedom we have today. I hope history teachers take advantage of this and show it in the class rooms. Anyway, we already know that the actual content of this show is some of the best ever made, I want to ask you guys about the audio presentation. Just like the beggining of this thread has stated, someone gave it a B+ rating for the audio. I wouldn't even go that far, I give it a B for audio. The dialougue is very clear and the surrounds are pretty good but where is the impact of the battle scenes? I mean there was more low frequncy effects and more impact when I watched it on HBO. I thought for sure this dvd would be even better than the HBO version. What happened? I thought episode 2 when they overtook the guns and those mortar rounds were blasting, that it would have shook my home, it did not. So the only thing I am dissapointed with on this set is the loe frequency effects. Does anybody have any info on why this is?

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Ha, that second post is ridiculous. The title tells all, relax.. At least give some input on the subject at hand.
Solve the family issues. :)
Anyways, I got BoB Saturday (Nov. 30th) and I plopped down and watched Part One. Very very pleased I own this set. I really applaud the packaging and the look, really cool shat. Good recollection also.
Also, odd to see the guy from Office Space be serious in such a manner.
-Bert

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
try episode 6 chapters 5 and 6 those two have as much bass[in the rear channels at least]as any part of spr imho

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Kevin, you are totally right about episode six. In episode 6 chapter 6 there is some serious low frequency in that scene. And you are also right about alot of it being in the rear channels. I have a 7.1 setup and it was the most dynamic full range sound that has ever come out of my surrounds and rears. I still think no movie will EVER rival the sound of SPR. That opening scene is still amazing. And I also like the fact that in SPR you get a lot of impact and low frequency effect when they are just firing machine guns. In "BoB" there is not a lot of kick to the machine guns. Also to Jehan, glad you are enjoying this. I have not actually talked to you in awhile,thanks for all the help on choosing a good cd/sacd player, I am enjoying sacd to the fullest. Anyway,for anybody that likes war movies or is interested in an accurate account of what WWII was like then you should pick this one up for sure! Heck, even my wife really likes this series and she is not a big was movie buff like I am. This is not a shoot em up, action packed, blood and guts, special effects type of series. This isn't Hollywood's version of WWII. Not that there is anything wrong with those movies, I like those too. But this series is totally different. Spielberg and Hanks focus on whats really important and the special effects and explosions takes a back seat to the story. What this series focus is on, is the lives, story and actual events of Easy Company. Frome training all the way to the end of the war. You will not find another WWII movie or series this good! I just wish it could have been 20 episodes instead of 10.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
So, what's the deal? Is Ron going to do a review on this? I know that a positive review on this series would pull alot of people off of the fence who were considering buying it.

Does he have a review copy?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
much as I agree that Ron's reviews are excellent (and I for one always look forward to reading his reviews on titles that I still haven't made my mind up on), I would've thought that the views of the rest of the unwashed masses of HTF members would help to sway undecided members?

let me say this for the fence-sitters if any, if you like war movies, or good drama, you owe it to yourself to get Band of Brothers.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
If anyone is sitting on the fence over this purchase, don't! Makes a great Christmas gift for yourself or someone else. Currently on sale at Target for $79.99 for those seeking instant gratification or last minute gift ideas.
As for the site referenced above, I would have to disagree that it offered "gentle" criticism. On the contrary, the author came across as a whiner with a wounded ego. Time and time again, he makes comments like "if the producers had approached me","as I predicted..","I could have provided..." Blah,blah,blah. Instead of offering constructive criticism, he comes across as a total buffoon, ripping on Dale Dye and faulting the realism of the action. The culmination is his complaint that the actors weren't actually running around with ammo belts containing live ammunition! What a moron.

Miles

Second Unit
The guy's not a moron... but you're right. He's obviously feeling left out on the production of the series. He makes valid points about authenticity but if everything was totally authentic it would take 10 years to recreate after historians battle it out over what's right/wrong. Either way the BOB dvd set is amazing.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Wow.

I just watched this series. It may or may not be completely accurate, but I really don't care. It's the closest I ever want to be in my lifetime to true warfare... amazing.

If you've not gotten this set, and enjoy epic storytelling, purchase it now. This will be proudly displayed alongside Lawrence of Arabia and Saving Private Ryan. Outstanding.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Whenever they show the "date" cards, (white letters on black screen), I get a french subtitle repeats. Is that a Canadian edition error?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks