What's new

Masters of Sex Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Showtimes' new series following the lives of Masters & Johnson, based on true events, regarding the original sex studies that shaped generations.

Premiere was made available on Demand for today only by Showtime.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Brief review: love the cast, love the concept, and this could be a really fantastic story well told. I had a chance when I was in college visiting UMSL to see where a lot of this work happened, and it is amazing how many different discoveries made there that changed our view of human sexuality, reproduction and anatomy.

Really strong production values. Showtime is definitely coming out swinging lately, combined with Homeland, this should make for a hell of a Sunday night pair.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
While their research is the most forethinking...it is also the most flawed.

Kinsey kept it too clinical(which is why his is considered the base of everyone else's).

But...interesting stories be told I am sure. I just wonder how far off "facts" Showtime will go.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I have to say, seeing Mae Whitman (Parenthood) make an appearance tonight was classic. This is rompy fun, it's a bit too much on the drama side and not enough on the science side, but it's still entertaining

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show works. While the sexual subject matter may draw people in, the story with the surrounding cast is quite good. Allison Janney was fantastic as the provost's wife who had not had not experienced an orgasm. Her walk to the elevator after realizing this fact was bittersweet and sad, as she tried to figure out who that made her as a person. I liked everything about that sequence.

The performances in this show have improved week to week and it seems as though the actors have really found a grove with this.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Allison Janney was fantastic as the provost's wife who had not had not experienced an orgasm. Her walk to the elevator after realizing this fact was bittersweet and sad, as she tried to figure out who that made her as a person. I liked everything about that sequence.
Yeah, Janney is always great but her work here is good even for her.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show really hit a stride a few weeks ago, and it manages to really work in a lot of the difficulties, relationships and the nature of their work.

There are a lot of different ways this show could have went, but I have to give props to Showtime for playing this amazingly straight and really providing a heck of a cast.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anyone besides myself who watches this show (though I also don't know anyone else who has Showtime so that does narrow the field) but I'm hoping it gets some Emmy recognition so it can get a much deserved bigger audience via Netflix.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I've stumbled across this flipping channels a few times. It does NOT work well in that format, I think I need to give it a start from the beginning. The talky bits seems exhaustively maudlin in the scenes I have seen, especially where the older cast is concerned...

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Took me all day to get through this week's episode because I kept getting stopped and had to restart. Great stuff, though.. it handled a lot of the issues I had wondered about. Allison Janney continues to rock this show; it makes me a bit sad to see her just kill it in this and then deal with crap dialog in a sitcom the next day

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think there are going to be a lot of people who find this after the first season runs and marathon it.. what a treat they have in store. Last night's episode touched on a whole lot of different subjects and did so quite well, including a few things that really surprised me how they played out.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Stumbled across this on DVD and we are really digging it. We just finished season 1 and it's been an incredible struggle against my sense of curiosity to not look up the historical record so as not to spoil the drama. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
Stumbled across this on DVD and we are really digging it. We just finished season 1 and it's been an incredible struggle against my sense of curiosity to not look up the historical record so as not to spoil the drama. :)
The show has been extremely accurate...except for the fact that Masters and Johnson...to put it mildly...

Were extremely, uhm...homely...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, I definitely appreciate that change! :D

524603e2a4d01.preview-300.jpg
20150727_masters_600.jpg

Was at the library last night, and lo and behold, there was season 2. Onward. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks