What's new

Mark Knopfler "Shangri-La" SACD (1 Viewer)

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
I recently took delivery of the new MK offering on SACD expecting to find the usual high sound quality which has been one of the consistant features of his solo work (& Dire Straits too IMHO)
The sound on the SACD is frankly disappointing and seems to have all the bass stripped from it whereas the CD track is much better with bass by the shovel load - my other SACD's still sound excellent (PF / PG / Beck to name but three) so it is not my equipment failing me - has anyone else got the SACD & would like to comment (?) - is it possible I have a faulty SACD or maybe this is what the SACD is supposed to sound like ?
Paul ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Paul. I picked up the US CD version and hace so far been happy with the sound quality. Was thinking about getting the SA-CD, but at close to $30, I will probably skip the double dip if the sound quality is only so so.

Have you tried out the multichannel track?

J

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Lee - not top end kit by any means but not lacking in bass in stereo / DPL / DTS / DD5.1 etc
A Denon 3801 receiver (7 x 105w) Pioneer "Hybrid" DVD player Kef KHT2005 speakers x 6 & REL Quake sub woofer
As I said other SACD & DVD-A stuff I have has plenty of bass & I just felt Shangri-La was lacking especially as MK tends to have plenty of bass will to the fore in his other solo & Straits CD's
Justin - I'm sure you'd not make a decision based on my opinion (?) It'll be interesting to hear what others think
Last time I looked Highfidelityreview had still not reviewed this SACD - feedback on Amazon is mixed but little mention there of the SACD version
Paul ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Were you checking amazon.com or amazon.uk. This disc was only released as a SA-CD overseas, so access to it in the US is not exactly easy without paying a hefty price, hence the small number of reviews.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Just checked out Acoustic Sounds website and noticed that both Shangri-La and Sailing To Philadelphia are up for pre-order on DVD-A (Dualdisc?) for release December 7th. Might be worth waiting a few weeks to pick these up at a lower price.

J

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Justin - didnt realise the SACD wasnt a worlwide release on SACD ???
See what you mean about the price in the US (just looked at Acousticsounds.com) spotted the DualDiscs you mentioned ...
I have posted my reservations about the SACD across the pond here so may get a better response (?) I'll keep you posted ... Paul

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Paul, there's no problemo with the SA-CD's bass. It's a mellow album and it was recorded with less bass than many folks have become accustomed...that's all. I've listened to the SA-CD all 3 ways and that's the conclusion I came to.

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael B ... Thanks for that - I agree its certainly MK's most mellow album - Do you agree that the bass is really toned down on the SACD Surround mix compared to the CD mix ? That's what I was getting at really & just wondered if it was meant to be like that - I guess only MK & his producer could answer that one (!)
Paul ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Paul, I don't think the bass is toned down on any of the 3 ways you can play it. It's subtle on all 3 IMO. It's hard to judge these things but there's no glaring differences on my systems. My M/C system uses no bass management other than a Rel sub that sends the L & R's bass to itself. If you're using BM, maybe you should question it some? :)

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael - fair enough - my DVD player will not let me play the SACD as a CD, only as an SACD if you follow me!
I have a CD player in another room & a good quality system in my car and both these systems play the CD mix with plenty of bass whereas my main system plays the SACD mix with a lot less bass (maybe if I crank it up a bit the bass will start to flow a bit more - or maybe I should listen to & appreciate the SACD surround mix more despite its apparent lack of bass ... I'm starting to waffle now so I'll sign off ... Paul ;)

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
As an experiment I created my own CD from the SACD so I could do a direct comparison between the CD mix & SACD using my own equipment (yes I should get out more!)
On my equipment there is definately a lot more bass on the CD mix so I was not imagining it - I played a few tracks to my son (who is well into his music) and he agreed that the SACD mix was definately lacking in bass and he even went as far as saying he would rather listen to the CD mix than the SACD mix (!) We are both a bit bemused at how different the two mixes sound as other SACD's we listen to are not so radically different from one mix to the other (DSOTM is one that springs to mind)
Food for thought ... Paul ;)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Now what? Einny, meany, miney, moe, catch a mix by the toe, which is the real one wee-gee board let us know? ;) Personally, I would trust the Super Audio programs as a proper barometer. Having heard both on very above average systems, me's conclusion, it's new , improved lite bass for a neo-Skittle album. Maybe more bass is wrong, defnitely a possibility since the Firesign Theatre said and I believed it "Everything You Know Is Wrong". I bet you didn't know that the Aztecs invented vactions, eh?;)

Seriously, I trust the Super Audio programs. The CD program, like many CD programs these days is too "pumped-up". This might explain your perceptions, or it could just be pie plates or marsh gas?;) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks