What's new

Marantz SR7400 (1 Viewer)

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Just for laughs I went to Google and typed "Marantz 7400." Lo and behold, a few UK sites have it listed, with preliminary specs. Updates over the 7300 include 7.1 channels, DTS 96/24, and what looks like a very nice remote. It doesn't look like a FireWire port made the cut, unfortunately. I wonder if there will be a 7400 OSE...

The 7400 isn't listed on the European Marantz site yet, but the 4400, 5400 and 5400 OSE are.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Someone posted info on the new models, and I there was no 7400 OSE, only the 5400 OSE. No mention of an 8400 or 9400, with the 8300 and 9300 listed as current models since they have only been out a short time.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'm wondering if the 5400 OSE will make it over here... Europe seems to have more choice regarding colours, etc.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to find out about this piece as well. The Marantz site has incomplete info. It does sound very promising. I want PLIIx, and this looks like a relatively inexpensive way to get it. Would love to hear from anyone with hands on.

PeterG

Agent
MichaelSLB,

I looked at your link to the new Marantz and coincidentally I had a similar Sound and Vision spec report on my current Denon AVR-2803 which I will probably be upgrading in the next couple of days to a 3803.

What I found noticeable was the higher noise levels of this undoubted premium receiver compared to the Denon (testing on the same basis by the same magazine).

Here is the link of the Denon AVR2803 (which overall is not in the same class):

Denon AVR-2803 review by Sound And Vision

Peter

Edit - I realise now after doing a search on price that I was mistaken by this Marantz - It is not premium priced and is at a similar level as the Denon I quoted. I think the power output with all 5 channels driven threw me as it is very impressive (at clipping). My point still stands that the noise levels are not impressive compared to the Denon.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Not sure why you're bringing Denon in on this thread:

My point still stands that the noise levels are not impressive compared to the Denon.
But anyway, is that noise that you can actually hear?

I noticed the following passage from the S&V lab test:

"Real-world noise was within a decibel or so of the theoretical ideal with our dithered test tracks, and the SR5400 was quieter still with 96-kHz/24-bit signals."

I'm pleasantly surprised with this result. In fact, the review starts with:

"The Marantz SR5400 produced consistently fine lab results."

So when it comes to actually hearing the difference, I don't think the Denon has anything over the Marantz in the noise department. The Marantz's superiority in real-world power ratings might be the deciding factor for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks