What's new

HDMI -> DVI connection (1 Viewer)

BillSee

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hi all My equipment is as follows: Sharp Aquos TV, model LC-32G2X (1366 x 768 pixels) which has a DVI-I input Pioneer HD recorder, model DVR-LX60D: it has HDMI output Marantz amplifier, SR7400. A few years old and thus does not have HDMI or DVI inputs, but does have optical digital audio. Currently all video is connected via component cables and audio via optical digital cables into the amp, but when I look at the TV input display settings, it shows 580p. Standard DVD quality is 720 x 480, so my guess is that the DVD recorder is upscaling to the 560p via the component cables. This is still not near the TV’s native resolution (which I think would be 720p). When I look in the Pioneer DVD recorder setup, the HDMI output is enabled, but the available output settings (1920 x 1080p or i, 1280 x 720p and 720 x 576p or i) are greyed and not accessible. Again, my guess is that this is because there is nothing plugged into the recorder’s HDMI connection. I am thinking of connecting the Pioneer DVD recorder (i) to the TV via a HDMI to DVI conversion cable and (ii) to the digital audio on the amp. My question: if I use this HDMI to DVI cable, is there a chance I will be able to select the video output resolution via the HDMI output on the Pioneer DVD recorder? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Cheers Bill

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
HDMI is a smart connection. Many components auto detect resolution. If it doesn't auto detect just set it to 720p or 1080i (not 1080p). 720p and 1080i on most modern displays are not noticeably different in most scenarios but since LCD displays don't natively display 1080i it's probably best to just set it to 720p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks