Marantz SR7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisAG, Oct 31, 2003.

1. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Just for laughs I went to Google and typed "Marantz 7400." Lo and behold, a few UK sites have it listed, with preliminary specs. Updates over the 7300 include 7.1 channels, DTS 96/24, and what looks like a very nice remote. It doesn't look like a FireWire port made the cut, unfortunately. I wonder if there will be a 7400 OSE...

The 7400 isn't listed on the European Marantz site yet, but the 4400, 5400 and 5400 OSE are.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Someone posted info on the new models, and I there was no 7400 OSE, only the 5400 OSE. No mention of an 8400 or 9400, with the 8300 and 9300 listed as current models since they have only been out a short time.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

I'm wondering if the 5400 OSE will make it over here... Europe seems to have more choice regarding colours, etc.

4. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Does anyone have any experience with the 7400 yet???

I'm going to buy a new receiver very soon...

5. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I've been trying to find out about this piece as well. The Marantz site has incomplete info. It does sound very promising. I want PLIIx, and this looks like a relatively inexpensive way to get it. Would love to hear from anyone with hands on.

6. MichaelSLB

MichaelSLB Agent

Not sure if this helps, but you can see lab results for the
    new 5400 model here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

I was very impressed by the numbers this thing is producing
    and I can't wait to upgrade my 6300 to the new 7400.

Looks like S & V mag will have the full review in the Jan
    issue.

Michael

7. PeterG

PeterG Agent

MichaelSLB,

I looked at your link to the new Marantz and coincidentally I had a similar Sound and Vision spec report on my current Denon AVR-2803 which I will probably be upgrading in the next couple of days to a 3803.

What I found noticeable was the higher noise levels of this undoubted premium receiver compared to the Denon (testing on the same basis by the same magazine).

Here is the link of the Denon AVR2803 (which overall is not in the same class):

Denon AVR-2803 review by Sound And Vision

Peter

Edit - I realise now after doing a search on price that I was mistaken by this Marantz - It is not premium priced and is at a similar level as the Denon I quoted. I think the power output with all 5 channels driven threw me as it is very impressive (at clipping). My point still stands that the noise levels are not impressive compared to the Denon.

8. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Not sure why you're bringing Denon in on this thread: