What's new

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I'm utterly speechless...all I can say is...WOW! And I thought the upcoming Dobie series set from Shout would be the crowning jewel in my DVD purchases for 2013---NOT! Amazing news and proof miracles do happen.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I absolutely detest this series, but I am THRILLED for all the fans who are going to get this show presented the way it should be! (The way ALL shows should be in a perfect world!) Good things come to those who wait!

I wonder if the 90-minute "Eunice" special will be an extra. That I would love to see again.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The biggest surprise is that for a show that is often derided, called 'bottom-of-the-barrel' and considered 'lowbrow' by many is getting such royal treatment on DVD. There are only two other series I'd like to see to completion more than Mama so I can't wait to own this.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
With 10 hours of extras, one would assume Eunice could be among the extras, but nobody has said otherwise.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
What would be awesome is if they got the rights to tape a performance of "Vicki Lawrence and Mama" as long as she's still doing it--

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Ethan Riley said:
What would be awesome is if they got the rights to tape a performance of "Vicki Lawrence and Mama" as long as she's still doing it--
That would be a fun feature to include, Vicki's still doing her one woman show called Vicki & Mama A Two-Woman Show

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
MatthewA said:
With 10 hours of extras, one would assume Eunice could be among the extras, but nobody has said otherwise.
Since "Eunice" is also a Joe Hamilton Productions property, it's certainly conceivable that T-L could have acquired the rights to that along with the uncut Season 1 and 2 masters. We shall see.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I was also thinking maybe they can have some of the "Family" sketches from Carol Burnett? Not sure if it's a licensing mess, but it would be nice.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ethan Riley said:
I was also thinking maybe they can have some of the "Family" sketches from Carol Burnett? Not sure if it's a licensing mess, but it would be nice.
Since Time/Life is also licensing and releasing the Carol Burnett show at this time, perhaps part of the mess would already be cleared up.

/yeah, a Mama's Family season 0 disc filled with Carol Burnett Show sketches would be great.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
darkrock17 said:
Do these releases mean that WB no longer own the series?
No, I'm guessing it means that a third party (StarVista/Time-Life) was able to sweet talk both parties into licensing the show out and providing the proper materials this time around to give fans what they want.

Time/Life is usually able to pull off some things other companies can't (or won't).

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'll say it again (just 'cuz I can): it's thrilling to see a show being done RIGHT on dvd, even if it's one I won't be buying. Would that all series' fans could be so rewarded, especially after such poorly received initial release.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
The Obsolete Man said:
No, I'm guessing it means that a third party (StarVista/Time-Life) was able to sweet talk both parties into licensing the show out and providing the proper materials this time around to give fans what they want.

Time/Life is usually able to pull off some things other companies can't (or won't).
I imagine most of the sweet-talking was with Warner since as early as 2007, John Hamilton was quoted as saying that he was more than willing to provide them with the uncut masters for seasons 1 and 2 but that no one from Warner had approached him before the season 1 release, nor was he expecting them to despite the outcry at Warner's shoddy edited release. I guess after 7 years, Warner finally realized that half a loaf was better than none and agreed to license the syndicated seasons to StarVIsta with JHP supplying the the NBC seasons.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I mentioned this to my father the other night and his eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store. He normally doesn't care about movies and DVD's, but this is going to be epic for him. I even told my mother afterward I was ordering the set for him for Christmas. Of course, I'm getting one for me, too.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
TVShowsonDVD.com indicates that Walmart has prelisted the new season 1 Mama's Family and the description indicates that the "Eunice" movie will be included as an extra! Box art is also there and the street date is still listed as September 10. This has not been officially announced by StarVista yet but it's looking like they are really going to deliver the goods. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mamas-Family-Season-1/18585

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I certainly hope this proves true, as then I can get Eunice quite easily and forgo the rest of the series. Plus, it makes sense to include it with the short (13 eps) first season.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Is season 1 and the rest of the collection going to be in broadcast or production order? As all of season1 is completely out of order.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
darkrock17 said:
Is season 1 and the rest of the collection going to be in broadcast or production order? As all of season1 is completely out of order.
The whole series was shown out of production order, actually. I'm pretty sure, however, that in syndication they always showed Ep 4 "Vint and the Kids Move in" first, then followed by the rest of the episodes in production order. I think. Obviously, "Alien Marriage" must be shown before the Naomi/wedding episodes...other than that??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks