What's new

Mama's Family 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ethan Riley said:
The complete series press release and art are now on tvshowsondvd.com. ... can you only get these thru TimeLife?
Yeah. Initially.

Though I'd bet it will follow the pattern of their other releases and be available on a season by season, general release basis after about a period of exclusivity to Time-Life, and the bonus features will only ever be available through the complete Time-Life set.

As for the press release... wow. Only took, what. 7 years for this to be done right?

Can Time-Life have all the remaining major unreleased shows?

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
All that's left now is to keep fingers crossed and hope there won't be any of the encoding issues that ruined All in the Family S7 (Shout Factory release). Where a beautifully shot-on-videotaped show suddenly became a shot-on-film show.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
IntoIt said:
All that's left now is to keep fingers crossed and hope there won't be any of the encoding issues that ruined All in the Family S7 (Shout Factory release). Where a beautifully shot-on-videotaped show suddenly became a shot-on-film show.
Why would that be an issue here? Neither Sony nor Shout are involved in this release, and none of Time Life's videotaped shows, including last year's The Carol Burnett Show releases, have suffered from that.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean "Mama's Family" is Time-Life's Big TV DVD release for the year, and we shouldn't expect Batman or anything else?James

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
JamesSmith said:
Does this mean "Mama's Family" is Time-Life's Big TV DVD release for the year, and we shouldn't expect Batman or anything else?James
I wouldn't rule out Batman or any other titles just yet. Mama's Family is a great series. but isn't as widely known as The Carol Burnett Show is, so Mama, could be only for the die-hard fans like myself, though I could be wrong on that.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The "Eunice" TV movie is quite good - although it takes a severe left turn during it's third act and ends on a very sombre note.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
classicmovieguy said:
The "Eunice" TV movie is quite good - although it takes a severe left turn during it's third act and ends on a very sombre note.
An excellent piece of writing, and the cast is wonderful in it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again (in a presentation better than YouTube, I mean!)

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
I noticed that also. StarVista probably doesn't know anything about the show being shut down after the first few episodes were produced, and then retooled to make the characters more likeable. They probably just assume that NBC aired the shows in the logical order, not knowing that the first few episodes with Vint still unmarried were buried later in the first season. No big loss, I will just watch the first season in the correct order.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Am I the only one who thinks $100 is a bit steep just to have it signed by Vicki?

Are season 3-6 going to be released separately?

Point of information: I finally pre-ordered the dang thing...you'd think I'd have done so, on the first day, seeing as how I've been pining away for this poor show since I joined the forum back in 2005. I opted for the installment plan, seeing as how it was 0% interest. My credit card charges quite enough interest, thank you very much. And now...to wait...two weeks...just two more weeks...

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
I'm sure StarVista is planning to release all six seasons, depending of course on sales of season 2. Since a lot of fans probably bought the botched Warner release, the sales of the first season probably aren't as important as season 2.

I ordered the complete set on the second day it was available for pre-order, but even if I had waited, I couldn't justify paying $300 just for Vicki's autograph. I bought a Ken Berry autographed Mama's Family script off of Ebay for $35 but wouldn't have gone much higher.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
rmw650 said:
Again, it all depends on one's finances as to whether or not they want to get the complete series set and yes, it is a bit steep in price, but I think TL/Starvista has coupon codes online or you can do a search for them to help defray the costs a little bit. After waiting all this time to get pristine versions of this show, depending on your tastes and finances, go with your gut feeling and get it or get the best of episodes as samplers to determine if it is worth the investment in the complete box series set. I totally love this show!!! But ask yourselves as well...do you really need her autograph at that said price?
The basic complete series set isn't that steep in price, IMO... A little over 30 bucks per season. That's not too far off the mark from, say, the average Shout or CBS release. It's just laying out the cash all at once that makes it look expensive, while picking them up at 30 bucks a pop over the course of a year or two wouldn't be as noticeable.

But a hundred bucks for an autograph? Yeah, that's expensive.

Oh, and I just ordered my set, since we're close to the release date. Sure, it says Sept. 2, but I doubt anyone's shipping anything on Labor Day... so let's call it a September 3 release.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
The Obsolete Man said:
Oh, and I just ordered my set, since we're close to the release date. Sure, it says Sept. 2, but I doubt anyone's shipping anything on Labor Day... so let's call it a September 3 release.

The bad news is that the ship date has been pushed back to the week of Sept. 11, according to their website. Since the season sets hit the stores on Sept. 10, that means that those that pre-ordered the complete series will actually get their sets days after fans that buy the season releases in the stores. That's called dropping the ball, Time-Life.

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
I guess we could have seen this coming... from Time-Life's Facebook page:

Time Life I apologize for the delay in reply. The set appears to have been delayed at the manufacturer, though we are working hard with them to try to get it shipped out this week. We'll announce here when they start to go out. Sets are shipping in order the purchases were placed. So, if you purchased in June, you will ship out on the first day they are available.

So barring a miracle, it's going to be at least another week or two before the complete series sets start to ship. I wonder if the delay only affects the complete series or will the season sets that are supposed to be in the stores on Sept. 10 will also be delayed?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I saw Mama's Family Season One & Season Two sets from Time Life/Star Vista at Best Buy yesterday.

MONSTOYS

Grip
Real Name
ROB
I was thrilled to get my copy from the studio in advance and guess what folks? Some of these are the SYNDICATED EDITED versons which were already released on the previous dvd set. So, WHY would TIME LIFE announce these as the UNEDITED original Braodcast versions? I think it's all about the cash.This was also a problem when they released the "UNEDITED" Carol Burnett show dvds. They KNEW they were edited, but, ultimately it's about the cash folks! Would they sell as many copies of an EDITED dvd set or the original broadcast UNEDITED dvd set?I'm truly disappointed and I'm canceling my MAMA's Family COMPLETE box set which I had previously had on order through time life. This company just doesn't seem to get "it"!

MONSTOYS

Grip
Real Name
ROB
Hi Ethan,
I actually went and timed every episode for you. Last night I went directly to check my favorite episode and looked over disc two and I found the edited episodes on that disc.
I looked over all 3 discs and here are the details. All shows BUT TWO are complete.
All shows run close to 25 mins or 24:59 or such. The two edited episodes are
CELLMATES 21:23 and MAMA'S BOYFRIEND 21:24
What is upsetting to me is again the sales pitch....UNEDITED as ORIGINALLY BROADCAST.
I would not be as upset if there was some mention that not ALL episodes where available. Just disappointing.
Hope this helps you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks