What's new

M&K MX-5000 or SVS PB12-Ultra/2...Can't decide (1 Viewer)

stephenPA

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Partridge
Ok I currently have a M&K 150 setup with a M&K 350 sub. I have moved and my theater room is over 4500 sq and want something bigger.

Well I was really coming close to getting SVS PB12-Ultra/2 based on alot of the buzz here and other sites.

Then I came across this thread which basicly stated that the M&K 5000 in a dual sub setup is pretty respectable. And I may be able to get a pair of 5000 for a good price.

I love M&K but am tempted by SVS.

The only problem I have is I have bought into the internet brands hype only to be let down before.

If anyone had experience with either one of these I would really apperaite any thoughts.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Stephen,

I know nothing about the M&K. I am the proud owner of an SVS PB12-NSD/2 though. Every sub I listened to in my price range

stephenPA

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Partridge

I know this thing will shake the house but I am wondering if I am going to lose the detail that the 5000 brings. From what i have learned, the 5000 will do great on the higher end bass but the SVS will beat it in the lower end.

Hopefull someone has heard both...

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Stephen,

My SVS and system is used 90% for music (mostly metal), which doesn't go "low" like movies. Its very tight, fast, clean, accurate, and chest thumping. The "lowest" of the low for my music listening would have to be Les Claypool's 6 string bass. Still not close to what movies get down too and its just overpowering.

And when I do watch a movie that goes low, look out.

But my free advice is worth what your paying for it.

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
The SVS subwoofers are excellent in the upper bass, very detailed, clean and accurate. But they can also go down very deep and stay loud and clean, much more so than most subwoofers. But they give up nothing on music, and we listen to our SVS regularly with music. :)

george4

Auditioning
Real Name
George
I just sold a M&K 5000THX sub. I thought it was just - ok. The folks at M&K are the best but I think there are better subs. I did not like the lack of slam. there was not enough impact in movies. It went deep just didn't make your mouth drop open. And that's what I'm l'm looking for. I want a sub that makes ME say WOW!! I am leaning towards the SVS. One things for sure - with the 5000THX costing $3500 I will have money left over from the SVS, won't I?!

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Guys,

Drop us a line anytime you want some candid advice. Suffice it to say the 5000THX is no slouch, but I'm confident we can help you on your quest.

I or someone smarter than me will be here.

[email protected]

The current Ultra subs will be soldiering on for a few more months we think, but changes are coming to the Ultra lines by 2007 for sure. Doesn't make today's offerings poor choices in the least though, after all, prices for the new third generation single woofer Ultra stuff (due out first) are sure to be somewhat higher than today's (but worth any increase and then some is the plan.)

Ron
SVS

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
george4: Did you go with the SVS sub, and if so, what do you think of it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks