What's new

Lousy (satellite) picture on HDTV? (1 Viewer)

JohnDe

Auditioning
Recently read a review on a Toshiba 34hdx82. Good review, however the writer says that the picture quality on this and all HDTVs with just a satellite service is lousy. Of course you wouldn't expect HD quality w/o an HD box and signal, but lousy? Is this true?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
John, while I don’t know exactly what the reviewer is referencing, the picture on any HDTV is (in general) no worse than on a SDTV. However, it may well seem worse as the additional detail provided by such displays often results in you now being able to see the real picture quality. Both satellite and cable (to a degree) compress some of their signals and that compression often results in a further degrading of picture quality.

HDTV just gives you the ability to see how good the picture is. I’d go and check out the displays for myself and determine how you feel. For sure some retailer will have a satellite feed connected to some HD displays. Have the sales clerk switch to the channels that you normally watch. Then decide for yourself.

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I think that any quality TV is going to make a bad broadcast look worse. Kind of like playing a sub-par CD on a High-End Audio system, the bad will out-weight the good. A blanket statement that all Satelite broadcast willnot look good is a little extreme though. Just my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks