What's new

LOTR: ROTK- EE DVD case colour ? (1 Viewer)

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

Because this is simply wrong! Blue is NOT an earth color - red, green and brown are earth colors, but blue is definitely not. Have you ever seen blue soil? I have not. I have seen red, green and brown soil, but never blue...
Also, blue is a cold color, while the green and red currently used are warm colors, and this further makes blue a bad choice and brown a better one...
Finally, please look at the poster link above to see why a brown case would be perfect... :)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I'm of the opinion that the Return of the King case will be blue, however, I'm not exactly thrilled about it. I think that a blue Amaray case could really complement the Return of the King poster nicely. However, I do disagree with their decision when it comes to colors on The Two Towers and Return of the King. The Two Towers just screamed blue to me. FOTR was all green with the Shire and all, Two Towers just seemed really bleak and gloomy and I thought blue would've fit very nicely, and Return of the King has the whole red Mordor action goin' so red would've rocked. But hey, whatever, they can coat it in hot pink if they want, I'll just be happy to have the movie. Sorry for the run-on sentences...

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Artur, I fail to see how this became about earthy colours. I don't think using earth tones was ever the intention, so using blue for ROTK is not breaking with tradition by any strech of the imagination.

However, I will agree that it would have been better to use blue for the two towers, and red for rotk, as the paperback books do, and I am not quite sure why they chnaged those two up. Either way, I am very happy with the extended edition stylin' packaging, and have complete faith than New Line will not mess it up with the third movie.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

On my custom cover it is... :)
Plus everyone I know think this poster is way cooler than the "faces all over" poster that will probably be on the cover...
However, if the case will indeed be blue, I will tone the poster like this (two previous color corrected posters included for reference):

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Artur,

Do you happen to have a higher resolution pic of the ROTK shot you could send me?

Thanks,
Ric

(EDIT) - Oops, nevermind, I realize you probably got it from the IMDB link.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine has all of the special edition soundtracks and i saw with my own eyes that the new ROTK is a dark/royal/navy blue.

the two towers was a dark/maroon red, and fellowship soundtrack was dark/forest green.

and they complement each other quite nicely:D
edit: Chazz_S you are right, i guess i got the order confused but i knew the three colors used and i guess i'm assuming a dark royal blue will be used....

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Huh? Ok well this gets confusing but here goes.

FOTR soundtrack- as far I know, this had only 1 'limited edition' variant. And this came in red leather. The exact shade of the old red one volume LOTR book. I have this. Green?

TTT soundtrack- for this, they had the regular jewel case soundtrack, a limited edition, and a 'internet limited edition' that you could only get online. The limited edition color was blue. I have the 'internet edition' and it is caramel-ish brown leather.

ROTK soundtrack- they released 3 versions yet again for this. The 'limited edition' is a dark teal green as far as I can tell from the small pics I've seen. I have the 'internet edition' of this, and it is dark brown leather.

As you can see, the soundtracks don't follow the DVD/marketing color schemes at all. I don't know how your friend's FOTR soundtrack is green and TTT red, heck navy blue for ROTK?

You can see the colors of the limited edition soundtracks here on the official site yourself- clearly not red for TTT nor blue for ROTK:

ROTK: http://lordoftherings-soundtrack.com/editions_a.html

TTT: http://www.lordoftherings-soundtrack.../editions.html

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I own the ROTK limited edition soundtrack, and the packaging is indeed dark green.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Either way, even if the soundtracks don't follow the same colors as the DVD cases (why I have no idea), it's still the green, red, blue scheme overall in terms of what three colors are used, just in a different order. I don't think there's any way RotK will by anything but blue.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
it is a little off that the soundtracks have a different colouring systems than the DVDs, but since they are using the same colours in a different order, i put it down to the fact that the doundtrack cds and the dvd are obviously designed and marketed by different groups of people.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to echo Truls request: Does anyone have this previouisly mentioned photo of New Line artwork featuring all 3 Extended Editions sitting next to each other?

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I guess no one has a picture of the 3 extended editions (with the Return Of The King)? Anyone? Bueller? Frye?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I've been reading evey single news item on every single DVD website regarding the LotRs DVDs and there never was a picture with all three extended editions.

If it actually existed it would be very easy to find because every website would have posted it many times.

Dan M

Second Unit
i think a nice earthy butternut color would be nice.....of the gold persuasion. To my eyes this would compliment the green/burgandy combo nicely (much better than blue);)

....blue is hardly an earth tone.....even if the earth looks blue from space....sorry

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
fellowship = green, earthtone, happy beginning, shire
two towers = red, earthtone, menacing, uncertain, middle, death
return of the king = cream, earthtone, resolution, finale

Blue is not an earthtone and completely inconsistant with the other two. I think it'll be either cream or light brown.

If it is blue it would have to be royal blue but it wouldn't make sense.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Who says they're using earth tones so far? Sure, green and red are both earth tones, but that doesn't mean that's why they were chosen. For all you know they could be following the primary colors of light. First, you can't have white, yellow, or gold. The writing on them is gold. The case has to be dark enough that the writing on them is visible. Second, there's only one place where all three movies have a leatherette release out, and that's the LE soundtracks. Fellowship was red, Two Towers' color. Two Towers was blue, the color rumored to be for Return of the King, and Return of the King was green, Fellowship's color. The only place a golden color even comes close to appearing is the internet-only editions, but both TTT and RotK had a brown color, and their internet-only status makes their applicability to the color scheme of the DVDs questionable. Finally there's the marketing aspect of everything else, packaging on action figures and the like. Fellowship's was green, green DVD case. Two Towers had red packaging, the DVD case was red. RotK's marketing has all had a blue hue to it, a blue DVD case isn't much of a stretch.

For what it's worth, I agree that TTT should have been blue and RotK red, but not for aesthetics. The Red Book of LotR alone should have made the last volume red.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks